U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM

833 posts, read 4,369,988 times

Advertisements

My two sons, ages 5 and 7, LOVE Cyberchase on PBS. They watch it religiously at 4:00pm after they get their homework completed. They also love Word Girl.

My 5 year old son also LOVES the original movie Sleeping Beauty and Santa even left it in his stocking last year.

Both boys also like Scooby-doo cartoons and the 1960's Spiderman cartoons.

I don't let them watch much of the Disney channel. They tend to like PBS better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,654,296 times
We dont let our kids watch the Simpsons.

However one problem I see with Disney is that they exploit the evil step mom thing. Many of their movies involve an absent parent and in a way disney steps in and saves the child. On the other hand the Simpsons are actually a very close and caring family. Do you see my dimemah.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 AM

241 posts, read 699,722 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I talked to my niece about it and she is not going to allow her to watch those shows anymore. I explained to her that it is where her attitude is coming from. She already knows more than she should know anyway so hopefully this will help adjust her attitude she has developed by watching these shows that are geared towards older kids.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,459 times
I wonder what type people complain about the attitudes and disrespectfull demeanor of todays children, pull your head out of the sand and acknowledge what is going on around you. It starts in the home and your TV is part of your home. There is a reason for the various age appropriate programing, not a hard concept to understand. What is age appropriate for your child?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM

106 posts, read 306,742 times
I'm with you. Our 7-YO loves The Suite Life and we let him watch it...seems o.k. But, the 5-YO couldn't care less about it. He likes the "kiddie" shows as those you mentioned more (not sure of their names to be honest...but, I get tired of them:-)

Some of the Disney stuff we try to steer the 7-YO away from because they seem to be more teen-oriented. It isn't hard to do because he really doesn't relate to their plots well enough to get into them.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:38 PM

161 posts, read 484,383 times
Boys are 14 (9th grade), 9 (3rd), and 6 (1st)--so you can guess I get a lot of overlap, though I try harder to limit what the 14 yo watches while the younger ones are around, though really the shows he likes watching are more educational like Top Gear, Man Vs Wild, and Mythbusters. The younger ones used to love Nick (Spongebob, Drake and Josh, and iCarly) but lately they have switched to Disney and like Suite Life, Hannah, and Wizards of Waverly Place--though I think it's mostly the 9yo, the 6yo mostly plays with his legos while the shows are on...The 14yo watched Nick Jr and PBS until he was in Kindergarten, but the younger two "outgrew" it a lot sooner, probably because of the older one's influence. I mostly hate Cartoon Network except for Ben 10 and Scooby Doo--shows like Flapjack and Total Drama Island bothered me and I essentially banned the channel.

I do try to discuss the shows with them, especially when I hear them talking about certain plot points--I'll have them discuss why a decision was postive or negative, and would they have done the same thing--a lot of times they will think I am taking it too seriously and say, "Mom, it's only a TV show!" ;-)

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
what's age appropiate? I know I've always ignored the (3+) type age requirements on toys, trusting that if they want to play w/ it, they'll figure it out and they do.

My Daughter who just turned 8 reads at 2 grade levels ahead. My youngest brother who is 10, is valedictorian for the 5th grade.
My son, who is 5, one of the most quick-witted, funniest kids I've ever met and understands how things work automatically.
sometimes the 3 year age limit is because of small parts/choking hazards. Be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting