Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:16 PM

242 posts, read 788,590 times

Advertisements

My niece lets my great niece who is 5 yrs old watch the disney channel, shows like icarly, Suite Life of Zac and Cody, Hannah Montana etc. I may be wrong but arent some of those shows targeted for older kids. I just dont think the subject matter is appropriate for a 5 yr old. I have a 6 yr old son and in his limited amount of time watching tv he prefers to watch Dora or Wow Wow Wubzy. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,705 times
My 11yo watches Suite life and Hannah Montana. Most of the episodes are about Zack and Cody getting a girl and Hannah getting a boy. I don't think a 5yo needs to watch that stuff.

When my son was 5, he would watch PBS shows like Arthur, Clifford, Cyberchase. I think those are a little more appropriate.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
My niece lets my great niece who is 5 yrs old watch the disney channel, shows like icarly, Suite Life of Zac and Cody, Hannah Montana etc. I may be wrong but arent some of those shows targeted for older kids. I just dont think the subject matter is appropriate for a 5 yr old. I have a 6 yr old son and in his limited amount of time watching tv he prefers to watch Dora or Wow Wow Wubzy. Your thoughts?
Kids usually watch shows that they see older kids watching. I was shocked when I went to see Twilight and was surrounded by moms with kids under age 10. High School Musical initially caught on because of teenagers watching the movie on the Disney Channel. Now you can buy HSM pajamas in size 5 and 6x. My daughter loves HSM and she's 6. She really loved the music but said the last 2 movies had too much kissing. I suppose they did.

6 year olds should be watching shows that come on Noggin...Dora, Diego, Kai-Lan, Olivia, Blues Clues, etc. What they want to watch is often sometimes different, but I usually say "that's for older kids" and my daughter says "okay".

Old 06-02-2009, 05:52 PM

363 posts, read 1,145,836 times
Quote:
I think she is too young for those shows. I think you are right that Dora and Wubzy are more like it. Think of all that "attitude" she is learning early from shows like Hanna Montana. She will learn it from peers soon enough....don't need to encourage it that early.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM

242 posts, read 788,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
I think she is too young for those shows. I think you are right that Dora and Wubzy are more like it. Think of all that "attitude" she is learning early from shows like Hanna Montana. She will learn it from peers soon enough....don't need to encourage it that early.
I totally agree with you I am going to have to talk to my niece about it, dont know if she will listen but I am going to tell her anyway. Youa are right about the attitude she already has one. And her mom wonders where she got it from.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,618 times
Speaking of TV for kids, my 6 year old just walked in and started crying because she saw a dead chicken on tv. So nothing dead or dying, nothing violent or sexy. I hate Disney and all those pre teen shows. She still enjoys Noggin, PBS kids, some Animal Planet stuff. I say keep them little for as long as possible.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,814,864 times
How in the world is a child that young understanding what is going on with a show like ICarly? My 10 and 12 year old kids watch that show and my 5 yr. old watches Nick Jr. He gets bored when my older kids watch their shows.

Does the child play with age appropriate toys?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:55 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,549,712 times
My 5 year old is really bored with cartoons...She likes Bindi the Jungle Girl, High 5, etc...but she is over Dora and the younger cartoons... She has moved onto SpongeBob, Phinias and Ferb, Scooby Doo...things like that.
She does keep asking to watch HM but I don't let her..

Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,618 times
I think it helps that I have a 2 year old who watches Blues Clues. So my daughter will watch it with him and she even admits to liking it. Hey, it works for me. I think she thinks it's fun to go back and "relive" her childhood... whatever that means to a 6 year old.

But no, we do not watch HM, or any other Disney shows. Kids in her class do though, and I think it's strange. And parents wonder why their 1st grader is acting all obnoxious with their negative body language and pre teen language. No thanks to that.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
Keep them on PBS Kids as long as possible! Wholesome and (except for the Juicy Juice thing..) pretty much commercial-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting