U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM

467 posts, read 845,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
How old is your son, MrMom? I have a seven-year-old, and I swear if he doesn't stop talking about Bakugan every waking hour, my head will explode! All kids go through periods of obsession and seeming stagnation. I think they're saving up energy for the next burst of development. Hang in there.
He's 10. I know what you mean. Mine's on anything Anime. Its gotten where we start to block him out or walk away when he starts in. If in the car, I'll turn on the radio after diplomatically as possible ending the topic so it doesn't seem like I'm just cutting him off mid-sentence. Trying to be polite about it.

I found out he likes a certain rock band, so I pounced on that today to get him to change the topic PLUS its something I can actually relate with.... music! Worth a shot anyways. Granted I don't want him to talk about THAT 24/7 either but maybe a nice blend of topics will eventually happen followed by a nice 2-way dialogue.

Its hard I know, you don't wanna be rude or hurt their feelings, but you are so tempted to scream or tell em to stop it already. I know. Hang in there yourself

I know this isn't probably your thing, but the only repreive I get is to have him play a video game for about an hour so I can just give my brain and ears a rest and have a chance to actually concentrate on something I need to do. Also known to hide in the bath and read a book for about 1/2 hour to get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,655,428 times
Am I reading this right? Are there people who don't believe in santa or the easter bunny?
Oh me
oh my
my world is falling apart.
Who's got a therapist?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:41 PM

467 posts, read 845,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Am I reading this right? Are there people who don't believe in santa or the easter bunny?
Oh me
oh my
my world is falling apart.
Who's got a therapist?
Santa's still good to go

Its cute how my son thinks he hears the Polar Express in the distance every Christmas Eve. He's kinda right. It is a train out there, but not that one (or is it? hmmmmm)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,967,794 times
Age 10! You are lucky to make it that far. Well we never bought into santa, Easter bunny or tooth fairy. To us it was just too commercial and not about family. Our children would have never believed it anyway and we were never into the "Lets teach our kids to run away from strangers in ski masks but to smile on the lap of a stange man who enjoys having lots of children sit on him all day." Just a little weird since there was a registered offender ho-hoing at the local walmart. ANYWAY, my daughter is 7 and really advanced. She learned about how babies come into the world at age 3 and about sex on her own by age 6, learning that we are mammals and that all mammals mate a certain way, then making the connection. She never called it sex because she always said "When humans mate..." until recently when she heard the term and wanted to know what it meant. She knows all the parts of the reproduction organs from her science book so there are absolutely no secrets. She's just casual about it but will comment when talking about that she would not want to have sex until she's grown up and married because she does not want to get pregnant, lol. She has always been very very logical and hasn't been "innoncent" (by most standards) since about age 4. She learns it all, mostly on her own with just us answering her questions along the way. Our 5 year old is learning right along with her so he's moving even faster. Our three year old is the only one that is still is "innocent."

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
When my son finally asked if Santa was real, I said "Well, Santa Claus is the spirit of unselfish giving, giving without having to get the credit for giving and that is real."

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,840,432 times
I grew believing that the Wise Men brought the gifts at Christmas time. So I can't really do Santa. I feel phony talking about him as he was real. I am not good at telling stories.
Never heard of the Easter Bunny as a child either.
And instead of the Tooth Fairy we have a mouse that comes get the teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or