U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,534,586 times

Advertisements

Have you tried to teach your son how to be angry? I know that it sounds weird. But my DSS is ASD. He rarely has meltdowns anymore and when he is upset, we can rationalize him through. We taught DSS that it is okay to be angry, but not okay to beat his head against the wall. We helped him find words to express his frustrations. We also worked with him that just because he does something one way (canine v/s dog) that others can do it differently and still be right. Board games have helped immensely with these things. It teaches patience and that there is more than one way to win.... or loose. When he's melt down we'd talk about it afterwards.... to explain to him what had happened... he's have blocks of the memories that were gone. He is now able to recognize when he is getting ansy and he'll tell us that he needs DSS time. That is either time alone or time with us to calm down or talk it through. I think fear is a big trigger. In DSS's case, he becomes fearful if he doesn't understand the logical sequence of events. When we explain to him (in baby steps sometimes) how/why things happen, he is more likely to troop through it next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,339,099 times
My son started acting out at the age of 8 1/2 - violence toward his sister, impatience with the cats, talking back. Not really major, but noticeable because of his mild nature. The doctor, my friends, in laws... everyone said it was hormones and perfectly normal, same with the sudden bruises... klutziness is common in kids this age, they would tell me.

Then the last day of school before Christmas break, he finally told me about the bullying he'd been subjected to. I pulled him out of school and began homeschooling him and the behavior went away.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
I think it's a good idea to look at what is causing this kind of behavior. These kids don't have the emotional maturity or wiring that other kids their age have, maybe as a way to keep from being overwhelmed, he believes he has to control what he can.

When they shut down, forget punishment because they're not reacheable. Or when he insists on one word over the other, change the subject and tell him you love him whichever word he uses. Or - what happens if you go along with his choice of words? If he's only 8, make a game out of it, say canine and dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting