U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times

Advertisements

Gen X, and I have the pictures of my giant high school perm to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,233,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
This topic came up in another thread, and I thought it would be interesting to find out a little about the regulars around here by asking about your generation and how you think it affects your parenting style. I'll go first...

I'm an early Gen-Xer (mid-sixties), who has kids of the iGeneration that started in the late 90's. My parents are part of the Silent Generation that ended with WWII. My mom was very successful in her chosen career and traveled a great deal when I was a teenager. It was exciting to see her blossom, and I had a great deal of pride in her accomplishments. I always assumed I would go the same route, but when infertility reared its ugly head as I entered my thirties and wanted children of my own, I surprised even myself by choosing to become a SAHM. I had a wonderful childhood, but I just couldn't imagine year after year of the tug-of-war my mom experienced between her job and her kids. I also saw how much my parents' careers and childcare responsibilities pushed their relationship to the bottom of the priority list. They had some tough times, although they pulled through and are headed toward their fiftieth anniversary in just a couple of years. Needless to say, my decision to come home left my career-driven mother a bit stymied, but she understands and has been supportive.

How about you?

For reference, here's a run-down from the other thread about the major generations:

I'm a Later Gen-X, son's a Millenial, parents are quintessential Boomers.
Grandparents are Silents.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,896,860 times
Gen X. I find that I have much more in common with Gen Y and millenials than I do with boomers.

My parents were early boomers, our first 2 kids are millenials and the little one is a Gen Z. My inlaws are the Silent Generation.

It was fun growing up with boomers because they never really wanted to be old!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 PM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
An interesting thing that we share with our kids that I didn't find so much between myself and my parents is music. I don't remember my mom listening to popular music at all when I was growing up - which looking back seems odd since she was a young (by my standards not hers) mom (I think she was 22 when she had me). My dad would occasionally bring a 45 (remember those?) of a popular song home for me. I remember him bringing home "You're So Vain" and "Rockin' Robin" among others. I don't remember knowing about the Beatles until right around when they broke up (I was the oldest child) and I heard other kids talking....(or maybe I was just clueless as I was a bookworm LOL). My kids OTOH grew up hearing so many different genres of music from Aretha Franklin to Patsy Cline to The B-52s....they have a pretty good repertoire. We go to concerts with both our kids. They have seen Elton John, James Taylor, The Police, Van Halen among other more modern bands. Something I couldn't even imagine doing with my parents - and I'm sure they couldn't imagine doing at all, let alone with us!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,993,535 times
GenX. '67.

Dolfin (Dolphin?) shorts were these really lightweight nylon (onion skin) jogging shorts that over-lapped from front to back. Or visa-versa. Think tulip...kinda. I don't remember if I had a pair...did not think they were flattering at the time. Still don't.

I had the OPs...but not boardshorts - the stretchy cotton kind that curved up at each thigh.

I remember the gas crisis.
I remember Jonestown.
Vaguely remember Watergate.

I am the child of layers, body waves, bodysuits, catsuits, metallic socks, high-heel boots with Jordache jeans - or Marc Phillipe, double-wrap belts, bustiers, thick leggings as pants (but I was a size 0), everything spandex or spandex blend...hats of every kind, long dusters, off-shoulder tees with lace camis underneath and odd demi boots. Had to order stuff from England...through the postal service and print catalogs. Used to take my jeans to the tailor to taper the thighs a bit, reduce hem down to 11 inches...and I still had some room. Multi-colored liner, purple lipstick, screaming pink shadow, orange hair. Kill City.

In the 90's I calmed down, shunned color and went romantic in black.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
Does anybody else remember the shoulder pads? They seemed so cool at the time. What about the cockscomb bangs? Yikes! Oh, and the Limited 10-button henleys with baggy, button-fly jeans. Did I ever really wear such things?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM

I always cut the shoulder pads out...

I had Organically Grown and OP baggies!

Oh - oh...the head bands...across the forehead. Urban Outfitters brought that one back. Oh, and what they call a "feather clip" for the hair...snark. We were so cool.

525 sweaters ruled. Cropped, off the shoulder...man. What I could sell those for now if I still had them.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,233,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Does anybody else remember the shoulder pads? They seemed so cool at the time. What about the cockscomb bangs? Yikes! Oh, and the Limited 10-button henleys with baggy, button-fly jeans. Did I ever really wear such things?

I was 17 in 1990, so yeah, I remember a lot about 80s fashion.
I was very enamoured of the GoGos, Madonna, Cyndi, and other girl-pop singers when I was a pre-teen, and heavily influenced by their style... also by that movie Valley Girl, which I watched on HBO (repeatedly) at an impressionable age (6th grade).

By my mid-teens, realizing I could never afford to be a preppy, I had moved into a punk/goth phase, which lasted until approximately... last year.

But yeah, the 80s were something else.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I always cut the shoulder pads out...

I had Organically Grown and OP baggies!

Oh - oh...the head bands...across the forehead. Urban Outfitters brought that one back. Oh, and what they call a "feather clip" for the hair...snark. We were so cool.

525 sweaters ruled. Cropped, off the shoulder...man. What I could sell those for now if I still had them.
OMG! The banana clip. I had forgotten completely about those. My daughter would be horrified.

I'm having terrible flashbacks right now. For some reason, I've got the song "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell in my head.

My daughter asked to watch the finale of "Dancing with the Stars" the other night. One of the songs was "PYT" so my husband and I decided to introduce our kids to Michael Jackson. We made the mistake of showing them "Thriller." They were terrified and refused to go to bed. Who'd have thought "Thriller" could be so scary for today's wordly Gen Z's?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM

(I meant feathered roach clips, but banana clips were silly, too...)

Remember the hair comb pulling back one side...only one side...not both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting