Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,897,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
Wow - this is almost exactly my background, expect my dad served stateside. Younger brother was born 17 months later, while my dad was still serving, so the Army would pay for the hospital bill.

GenX - 1970 (although I kind of prefer "child of the 80s" to GenX)
I'm a 1970 baby too. My mom used to like to say it cost only $25 for the entire hospital bill for my birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,010,530 times
Wow, you folks are making me feel really old! Both my husband and I are smack-dab, middle Boomers. We waited before starting a family because we wanted to get our financial ducks in a row. Thus, our son is a Millennial and definitely remembers Y2K and 9/11. 9/11 is a "defining moment" to him in the same way that the Kennedy Assassination was to us.

Both DH and I were children of "older" parents ourselves. All our parents were born before the Silent Generation noted in the OP (early '20s)! I remember being embarassed one day when my little kindergarten classmates started comparing Mommy ages and their Mommies were all 23, 24 and 25 while mine was approaching late-30s .

Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Wow, you folks are making me feel really old! Both my husband and I are smack-dab, middle Boomers. We waited before starting a family because we wanted to get our financial ducks in a row. Thus, our son is a Millennial and definitely remembers Y2K and 9/11. 9/11 is a "defining moment" to him in the same way that the Kennedy Assassination was to us.

Both DH and I were children of "older" parents ourselves. All our parents were born before the Silent Generation noted in the OP (early '20s)! I remember being embarassed one day when my little kindergarten classmates started comparing Mommy ages and their Mommies were all 23, 24 and 25 while mine was approaching late-30s .

Well... my oldest is just finishing 1st grade and I am in my early 40's! and I have a toddler yet here at home!
I have ALWAYS felt like such an older mom,especially when my oldest was in preschool...
I did the whole "corporate woman" thing first as well . I guess the wonderful thing is that I will be young at heart

Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,119,394 times
I'm Gen-X born to Silent Generation parents but have never really fit the Gen-X mold. I'm more Generation Jones (missed by 3 mos) while my brother, 3 yrs younger, is DEFINITELY of Gen-X stock.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,098,822 times
I'm a Gen X-er and was part of what was called the hip hop generation, when hip hop wasn't a bad thing.

I grew up watching the Electric Company and Magic Garden. Was a teen in the 80's and was a shell top adidas wearing teenager who used to love watching b-boys. Spent the 90's loving alternative rock, going to raves and getting pierced. Oh, also had my kid in the early 90's. I remember when that label "Gen X" first came out. Supposedly we were the generation that couldn't be labeled. As if that's a bad thing....

I'm not sure what the name of my son's generation is. I see a lot of the styles he's wearing are starting to become similar to what we used to wear. But of course he doesn't believe me when i tell him so. I probably should have kept my name plate buckle and leg warmers. lol...

Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,731,625 times
I'm a "Gen-X'er. I totally remember when MTV first came out and it was a pay channel then we were all excited when it became a regular channel. That was back when MTV actually played music! Imagine that!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,412,813 times
What a fun thread, I know it's older but I wanted to post anyway. I do have one gripe about the classifications for each generation. I feel like I'm stuck between generations. When I read the posts by the Gen Xers, they mostly mention being born in the mid-late Sixties, mention Watergate(I wasn't born yet) and the Challenger disaster(I was very young). So, I guess I'm a Gen Xer but being born in the later mid Seventies, I don't feel like I totally fit into that and I really don't know anything about Generation Y except, like them I grew up w/ video games and computers although no internet until late teen/early 20. I had a pager in H.S. and a cell phone right after. Do any of you feel stuck in between Generations?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,436,495 times
I think many people do....I know I'm technically a "Boomer" but at the very tail end so many things labelled "Baby Boomer Generation" are not things I generally identify with...but I'm too old to really fit in with Gen-X either.....Remember they are just generalizations so have fun wherever you fit in!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,272,327 times
I'm a y! hated 80's clothes! remember the family preparing for y2k(ha), everyone talking about clinton and exactly where I was and clothes I was wearing when I found out about 9/11.
I did wear different color shoe laces, pig tails and braids in elementary school

Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM

574 posts, read 2,043,976 times
I'm a late boomer born to parents who belong to the silent generation (a dad who remembered a little about the great depression and a mom who was born at the tail end of it). I am old enough to remember the assassinations of Senator Edward Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr, the beginnings of de-segregation, the first walk on the moon and the record breaking home run hit by Hank Aaron, but not old enough to remember where the heck I was when President Kennedy was shot. DH and I are the parents of two Gen Ys and one Gen Z and we both love being older parents. Based on what I have seen, our 10 y/o DD has a lot of company out there, so hopefully when she's in HS she won't be embarrassed by us.

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting