U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times

Advertisements

This topic came up in another thread, and I thought it would be interesting to find out a little about the regulars around here by asking about your generation and how you think it affects your parenting style. I'll go first...

I'm an early Gen-Xer (mid-sixties), who has kids of the iGeneration that started in the late 90's. My parents are part of the Silent Generation that ended with WWII. My mom was very successful in her chosen career and traveled a great deal when I was a teenager. It was exciting to see her blossom, and I had a great deal of pride in her accomplishments. I always assumed I would go the same route, but when infertility reared its ugly head as I entered my thirties and wanted children of my own, I surprised even myself by choosing to become a SAHM. I had a wonderful childhood, but I just couldn't imagine year after year of the tug-of-war my mom experienced between her job and her kids. I also saw how much my parents' careers and childcare responsibilities pushed their relationship to the bottom of the priority list. They had some tough times, although they pulled through and are headed toward their fiftieth anniversary in just a couple of years. Needless to say, my decision to come home left my career-driven mother a bit stymied, but she understands and has been supportive.

How about you?

For reference, here's a run-down from the other thread about the major generations:

Quote:
The Silent Generation was born between the Great Depression and WWII, 1929 to 1945, with 1944 claiming the lowest birth rate for this generation. They are considered the parents of Generation Jones.

Baby boomers were born during the years 1946-1964. This is a huge generation, and as such, those born in the early years may be strikingly different from those born at the tail-end. Peak birth rates occurred between 1957-1961, and this smaller subset is sometimes known as Generation Jones. As an interesting note, President Obama is a member of Generation Jones.

Gen X was much smaller, occurring between 1965-1974, although some demographers extend this generation to those born through 1981. They are the latch-key kids, who remember the end of the cold war, the Challenger explosion, and the time before MTV (barely). They are also notable for not having a major war during their young adulthood and therefore low rates of military service.

Gen Y (aka Millennials) followed in the early 80's. Most Gen Y members are old enough to remember Y2K, the Clinton years, and 9/11.

The iGeneration (Gen Z) began in the mid-nineties. As the term implies, these kids were weaned onto the internet and are connected in ways that astonish prior generations. Some demographers claim that 9/11 spawned a a new generation called the New Silent or Homeland Generation, but when all is said and done, history will probably sweep them into Gen Z.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,240,900 times
Gen X

I remember exactly where I was in school when the Challenger exploded as we were watching it on tv.

EVEN STRANGER...I was back in the SAME classroom as a teacher & teaching the SAME class (social studies) when 9/11 happened. The teacher who was teaching me when the Challenger happened came into the room to tell me about 9/11 as she was still a teacher at the school.

My parents didn't get cable until the late 90s so I would see MTV at my friends home though it was a HUGE deal to even have cable & remember it was all music videos with Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me & DJ Jazzy Jeff with "Parents Just Don't Understand"...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM

758 posts, read 1,594,840 times
Gen X-er also. I remember the challenger also that was so sad and scary, I think I was 12 or 13 would have to check the date though.

I remember MTV when it first came out, we had a satellite dish and got tons of channels that being one of them. I know my parents didn't pay a ton of money a month for it, so I don't know if it was free back then or if it was a black box receiver.

Short hair was all the rage and we never wanted our butts to show, so long shirts were too.

I think people of this generation relate to their kids better but a lot take it too far by trying to be cool parents.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
I'm truly smack in the middle of Baby Boom and Generation X.

I possess only the positive qualities of each generation.

I'm a perfect blend!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM

3,238 posts, read 7,817,526 times
I'm an older mom, a member of the Baby Boom generation. But with two teenagers (19 and 17), I feel VERY different from the people my age. I know having younger kids has kept me young. I can text with the best of them, go to concerts (Jonas Bros coming up this month), and am the recipient of requests for advice from them and their friends. (Once spent four hours texting with my dd's ex-bf when they were having troubles.)

My co-workers who are my age talk a great deal about their doctor visits and various medical issues. I spend my time talking about my kids' latest adventures (prom, parties, concerts, tattoos, etc.). Wouldn't change it for the world!!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,289,709 times
Another Gen Xer here (mid sixties)!

My parents were both born before the Silent Generation (barely) and I was a late surprise! We only had one car. My mom didn't drive at all, and was a SAHM. If my mom and I wanted to go somewhere while my dad was at work, we either walked or took a cab. She ran a business out of our home doing upholstery, and actually supplemented the income very well. I remember getting the Atari console and thinking it was the coolest thing ever! We did not have cable TV, but when I was probably around 12 we got a thing called ON TV (only one channel that did movies) - - again, thought it was the coolest!! My parents were "tired" when I was a teenager, so I pretty much had free run and did what I wanted. I think they just quietly hoped I wouldn't end up in big trouble. We lived in a fairly large city.

I went the opposite in some ways - My family now lives in a small area out in the country. We have two kids and both of us work outside the home (I did stay home until our first was 6). I would be completely lost if I didn't have a car! I try to minimize the "high tech - glue your butt to a couch" gadgets that my kids have. They have quads and twenty acres to enjoy! I also do way more with my kids than my parents did with me (may be the difference in age?). There are definitely things that I did as a teenager that I won't let my kids do!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I think people of this generation relate to their kids better but a lot take it too far by trying to be cool parents.
How so, Shakar? What makes someone a "cool" parent?

Dressing younger than one's years?

Early adoption of technology?

Lenient parenting?

All those things? Or something else?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Lenient parenting?
I think this is the one she means.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Maybe, but we won't know for sure unless she comes back.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,580 times
This is fun....

I am a gen-x'er as well... late(r) 60's...
I remember being at my next door neighbor's house when MTV premiered! wow! we were GLUED to that tv and Billy Squire became a huge favorite of ours over the years

I too remember the Challenger of course. I was on my way out of my dorm room in college when one of my suitemates was ready to shut the tv off and the news came on. I never made it to that class that day... what a terrible,tragic thing.

I remember all the fun times dancing to "You spin me round round" at the various ladies nights we would go to...

Then I remember it was time to grow up..... but it's still fun! just in a different way!
Today I am dancing around the house to Taylor Swift's Love Story with my older daughter and the theme to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting