U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I DID NOT say I want to medicate my son! I simply asked a specific poster about her daughter's specific case. There ARE meds for social anxiety. Don't read into my questions. I'm just gathering info.

I am concerned about how he'll do in preschool in the fall. If he doesn't like the playgroup, he may have issues in the classroom too.

He does ok in play group for about 30 minutes, then he either wants to leave, or goes off by himself. I don't want to jump the gun on anything, but I don't want to miss or dismiss signs that something might be wrong either. I'll just watch him for the next year or 2 to see if anything changes. I'm just trying to be proactive so I don't miss anything, or ignore it hoping it will go away.
Many, many years ago I taught in a preschool. Kids usually settle down after the first few sessions. I think you are doing the right things now. If older brother enjoys the group, then take them, and let younger brother see how older brother does. It is OK if he plays by himself now. I also think that having this exposure before preschool will help him understand preschool, which most kids find fun. My kids never, ever complained about going to preschool.

You are being observant now, and that is good. But I think it is too soon to be worried. Every kid is different.

You might consider whether younger kid likes to be the center of attention. When he isn't, does he become demanding or fretful?

But just let him be for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 PM

841 posts, read 827,690 times
Not knowing anything really about the playgroup, or anything else, it's hard to say. Maybe the toys are and environment are uninteresting? Or overstimulating? Is he actually afraid, deep down? Maybe some different settings.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM

78,721 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You should probably post your own thread as you will get more answers that way.

Several things leap out here.

1. Is it possible that her dad has aspergers or autism? Does he have a job he is successful at?
2. Does she go to preschool? If so, what do her teachers say? Usually, preschoolers are not allowed to play with tablets much in preschools or daycares.
3. What kinds of things do you want to do with her when you are there? Can you catch her interest with anything really fun? Do you bring toys or use toys she has at home? Playdoh is often good for helping a child engage although if she has sensory issues that may not work. Music also can help.
4. Has she been evaluated for delays? How is her speech? How are her gross motor skills, her fine motor skills?

Yes, I would definitely worry about the tablet or cell phone use. Does she really have her own cell phone? She is much too young for that.
Heck, I'd worry about the staying up until 1 a.m., with or without the tablet use! This sounds like another parent or pair of parents, who have abandoned their child. New parents seem to think that giving a small child a tablet is all they have to do to "care for" the child. In 10 or 12 years, we'll see the effects of that, when the kids hit adolescence and beyond. I shudder to think what kind of an emotional development these kids are going to have.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 4,652,858 times
He may just be introverted and prefers to socialize in small doses when it suits him. There's nothing wrong with that. For some, too much stimulation can be exhausting and draining, so encouraging even more socializing through playgroups can backfire.

Four of my five kids are introverted, just like me and my husband. Our older kids never cared for playdates/groups and preferred to socialized in small doses when they were in the mood. They tend to be more selective, observant, and cautious when it comes to making new connections, which can be a really good thing as they get older.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:17 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,216,321 times
This thread was started over ten years ago. The child in question would be in 8th or 9th grade now!

Old Today, 09:28 AM

147 posts, read 26,390 times
Haha I just noticed that this thread is from 2012 but was somehow brought back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or