U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,038,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Hmmm I read the article she posted and would not let my kids read this unless they had good reason too. I agree with NCYank it is a bit over the top. Sometimes using reverse psychology can backfire on you. I think educating your child on this great but it has its limits. There are far more dangers out there other than smoking to teach them about. If your going to make them read articles about smoking then maybe you should have them read articles about peer pressure, Guns, Gangs, Sexual Predators/Rape, Drinking, Drugs, Sex, eating disorders, .. etc....etc.. etc.. Teach them positivity and self-esteem, teach them how to stand up and not give in to external force. By giving them a strong self-image will help them in life choices. A parent’s role in supporting a child to develop a healthy self image and high self-esteem cannot be stressed enough. Children should be praised for their accomplishments (even the smallest ones), and encouraged to learn from their errors, instead of making them feel inadequate or like they failed. Little things, like telling them how unique and special they are and praising their talents, can significantly help a child trust their abilities and provide the motivation to work hard to succeed in any task. Making them read this article over and over in time could scare them which would be good for you or they could rebel against you and do it anyway.
Good Luck.
Of course they need self-esteem and so on....and I try to give them that. Reading this anti-smoking article, is only a very small part of what I do as a parent. Yes, we still need to be good parents, we don't need to try to terrify our children.

But I don't think the truth is scary - I think not knowing the truth, is much scarier. If you know what I mean.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 AM

836 posts, read 2,922,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Of course they need self-esteem and so on....and I try to give them that. Reading this anti-smoking article, is only a very small part of what I do as a parent. Yes, we still need to be good parents, we don't need to try to terrify our children.

But I don't think the truth is scary - I think not knowing the truth, is much scarier. If you know what I mean.......
I understand what you mean. We always hope for the best for our children. And I agree the truth is scary. Shoot the world is a scary place this day and age. How old are your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or