U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,580,309 times

Advertisements

24-year-old Rachel has lost custody of her three-year-old daughter, Baby K, because social workers in Nottingham, England, have determined that she is "too stupid" to care for her child.

British Court Says Woman isn't Smart Enough to be a Mom - ParentDish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM

458 posts, read 1,138,175 times
I have read the article, but I think I need to think on this a bit more before I respond. This is not an issue or topic I have ever thought about before, so would like to think on it so I can form an opinion. Definitely interesting.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,740,828 times
We don't know all the facts in this story. But as far as taking children away from parents who are "too stupid"... surely they had reason or reasons to base that harsh remark upon... it's just impossible to know what the whole story is here.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,792,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
24-year-old Rachel has lost custody of her three-year-old daughter, Baby K, because social workers in Nottingham, England, have determined that she is "too stupid" to care for her child.

British Court Says Woman isn't Smart Enough to be a Mom - ParentDish
The article didn't mention if she now has a husband who helps her raise and support the child, maybe she's on her own but as long as she's working to support and raise her child, isn't neglecting the child, then I don't see how the government can take the child away.

Now if she's too stupid to earn a living, isn't capable of supporting her child, and is a government dependent, then yes the government would have responsibility over her.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,388,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We don't know all the facts in this story. But as far as taking children away from parents who are "too stupid"... surely they had reason or reasons to base that harsh remark upon... it's just impossible to know what the whole story is here.
This is basically what I thought after reading the article. There is definitely an angle here and unless I know what's on the other side I can't really form a rational opinion.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,497,109 times
I ran a search, yesterday, and Dad is a friend of the family. They were together for a short period of time. It did not mention if he was involved or willing to take custody of the child. I find it odd that the child was not placed with the grandparents. They probably have a system that is very different from the US.

There have been instances in the US where the Department of Family Services has taken a child and pushed for an adoption right away even if there was a plan in place. I am not a fan of DCS. I have a love/hate relationship.

However, love is not enough to care for a child with significant medical problems and it sure is not enough to deal with the school system as they age or any number of outside stressors. Whatever job that she holds must be simple. She more then likely does not have abstract thinking skills. The child must go.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM

901 posts, read 2,614,566 times
What a tough call. With an IQ in the 70s, it would seem that she is mildly retarded. I am surprised that social services cannot simply support her parenting skills rather than take her child away. I wonder what she does for a living to support herself. Also, why did it take her so long to realize that she was pregnant? There are too many questions unanswered to have a real opinion on the article.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:42 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,516,461 times
If the quotes in the article are an indication of her reasoning skills, then I am concerned that the authorities are over-stepping. She seemed fairly cogent to me.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:14 AM

Here is what I do not get: The baby has had operations on eye, bowel, and throat. England has a far better health care system then in the US, so this woman has access to it. Family members have stepped forward. There have been two evaluations done. I have found two different numbers, IQ of 71 and IQ of 81. She has been said to be argumentitive (I sure would be) and angry. She does not have a job.

They are either blatantly stealing this child or SS is, by law, withholding information. They did not go to look at her living quarters and that is really odd.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM

BBC NEWS | England | West Midlands | Starved girl 'like camp victim'

Seven-year-old girl starved to death by her mother - Telegraph

Girl of 7 Died a Prisoner in Her Own Home - Digital Journal: Your News Network

And this is the Baby Peter case. I'm sure that everyone heard about it. This is where the 17 year old was found dead in the crib with a broken back and ribs and the two year old had been raped.

New life for girl raped by Baby P monster | The Sun |News

See, the thing that I keep thinking about in the Baby K case is that mom could just as easily be found not competent to stand trial if something happens to her child. The only saving grace in the Baby Peter case jto prosecute mom was a law that came out in, I think, 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or