Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times

Advertisements

If they are out of school and working 2-3 days per week,
how much should I require them to do around the house.
They think it should be total vacation time except for small stuff here
and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
living in your house rent free free room and board, servant in your own home, i dont think so. should they help, you betcha.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
living in your house rent free free room and board, servant in your own home, i dont think so. should they help, you betcha.
What he said.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
and there.
They should help -- but how many of us remember being very eager to help our own parents when we were that age? It's kind of what goes around comes around. We probably can even remember saying to ourselves and our friends that we'd be much nicer parents and not naggy like our parents.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I'm a big fan of the chore list. My mom has a wonderful habit of coming into my room right before she leaves for work (5AM) and telling me what she expects for the day- and 9 times out of 10 I have no memory of this whatsoever. Seems to be a trend among many of my friend's parents.

If she leaves a list on the kitchen table laying out what she wants accomplished for the day/week, it will get done and it will be clear to me exactly what she wants.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:09 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
At 19 and 17, they should know what needs to be done, and simply do it, since they are the ones home. When I was 19, I had my own apartment, and if no one washed dishes/did laundry/vacuumed/etc, it didn't get done.

Since they don't seem to be of this mindset, however, I agree with either making them a daily/weekly chore list or else assigning them relatively permanent chores to get done each day or week. If they are home, the house should be reasonably picked up when you get home from work, the bathroom fixtures quickly wiped each morning, dishes should be done, and they should be getting their own laundry done. In addition, one of them could vacuum the main living area a few times per week, and the other could sweep the kitchen floor, and maybe clean out the fridge weekly. That shouldn't take too much time, and is good training for running their own households in the nearish future.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
make them help so what they work . they should help with dishes, sweeping ,vacuuming whatever needs to be done including the cooking . Let me tell you my mom was constantly on my butt the whole time I lived in her house do this and do that please . You betcha I did it and looking back now I think it was pretty much a free ride . Or a cheap ride anyways . get on their butt and get them moving and helping .

Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
and there.
That you would have to require them to help out, at age 17 and 19, is really sad. They should be stepping up on their own.

Depending on their overall attitude I'd go one of two ways...

1. Let them know that you do expect them to help out. Put a list on the fridge of daily and weekly chores and you expect them to pick 2-3 of each to be responsible for, on their own, without you asking or reminding...in addition to just keeping their own rooms and stuff kept up. Geesh, they are practically adults, they should just do it.

2. Go with their idea of taking a vacation and you take one too!! You don't cook for them, you don't pick up their stuff (and when you do it goes to the trash or good will), you don't do their laundry or pitch in for their car insurance or cell phone bill, money for clothes, etc. I'm sure they can manage their back to school shopping and laundry and all that stuff you usually do and hey....you deserve a vacation just as much as they do.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
No free rides here either.......

Kids need to learn what it take to keep a household running.
They should have their regular chores and then some extra.

It's not to be mean but it a parent's job to raise productive adults.

And now I officially sound like my mother......I'm gonna go cry now..lol

Old 06-04-2009, 07:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Everyone who lives in a household should contribute to its running. To me this applies from toddlerhood on. My own kids are 10, 13, 15 and they are all expected to help around the house. They don't have set chores but the things they are expected to do varies by what is needed.

I have a feeling that if they have done nothing for 17 and 19 years respectively that they are more resistant to contributing than they would otherwise be. I would sit them down and lay out your expectations and stick to your guns. Nobody really likes doing housework but if you expect them to cooperate they eventually will come around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting