U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,477,315 times

Advertisements

This may not be a popular idea, but if it were my kid that someone was holding and refusing to give me (in a foreign country), I'd pay whatever I had to in order for American soldiers for hire to get him out of there. Once home, there's NOTHING the stepfather could do about it. He'd be legally w/ his bio father.

It just seems at this point the best thing for him to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM

6,396 posts, read 5,956,680 times
He's not actually a stepfather.

David was still married to the boys mother.

I've kinda been following this..

This boy needs to be with his dad, like right now!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 PM

I thought that she divorced him once in Brazil, married the lawyer and died during childbirth?

Either way, it's time for David to stop being nice about this. Past time.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:46 PM

6,396 posts, read 5,956,680 times
Yes, You are correct!!!!

I was going on what I heard on the news!!!!!! See, they get it wrong too!

This is what the news must of been talking about:

Although still legally married in the United States, Bruna obtained a divorce in the eyes of Brazil, without the presence or knowledge of David Goldman.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 PM

396 posts, read 656,014 times
I sign petitions on a care2 website... and I got a notice the other day that he got his son back by a judge-ruling in Brazil...I think the boy is coming home. Had any of you heard that yet?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I sign petitions on a care2 website... and I got a notice the other day that he got his son back by a judge-ruling in Brazil...I think the boy is coming home. Had any of you heard that yet?
The next day a different judge (from the same political party as the stepfather) overruled it. Now they're back to square one.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
The next day a different judge (from the same political party as the stepfather) overruled it. Now they're back to square one.
Oh God... I just researched it before I came back to the forum and saw the overruling (sp?). My heart is broken right now. I was so happy when I heard they'd be together. This is so out of control... Brazil is supposed to return the child. It's in the Hague Treaty, they signed it... otherwise, they are now going to be considered a country that protects kidnappers... because that is what they are doing.
I have searched my soul to try to figure out why she left in the first place, that maybe that father was some kind of a bad person, and she had to get away, that kind of thing... but I do not see that here at all... I just watched the Larry King interview, and they brought the mother's brother on, and even in his time talking, he could not say one thing that made sense of all of this. He even tried to say that the father was a bad person because he did not pay child support after his child was kidnapped! That was the best he could come up with?
I just feel really bad right now. They were so close, and it got yanked out from under him. I think our country has to do more in this case.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,961,238 times
I think the time to think about these situations is before you marry a foreigner.

There is always a possibility the other parent will decide to return home, children often make people return to their family values, cultural traditions, religion. To me it's what happens, each parent decides the child should be raised in their home country.

I also don't think international relationships should be ripped apart because people make foolish choices in marrying. Our military isn't some local sheriff that should be involved in family disputes and custody battles.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the time to think about these situations is before you marry a foreigner.

There is always a possibility the other parent will decide to return home, children often make people return to their family values, cultural traditions, religion. To me it's what happens, each parent decides the child should be raised in their home country.

I also don't think international relationships should be ripped apart because people make foolish choices in marrying. Our military isn't some local sheriff that should be involved in family disputes and custody battles.
Great points... but the fact is that the US and Brazil signed the Hague Treaty regarding child abduction. So, Brazil must hold up its end, and not do what they are doing right now, which is to stand in the way of the boy going back to his father. In this way, the US has to step in and bring the boy back. The treaty was put into place because of situations like this. And the irony is, to your point, that it was put into place because of the amount of divorce we face, and because of families that split. Now that this case is so public, it has to win even more because it has to prove the point that the Treaty is solid, otherwise, it is not worth anything...And then where do we stand? And what is going to protect children as a whole who face kidnapping in general, we then have nothing at all to get any of them back...

Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 PM

I actually was not suggesting that our military have anything to do with this. There are always soldiers for hire out there willing to help people get out of bad situations, get children back, etc. THAT is what I was suggesting.
I also think that to fault him for marrying someone he was in love with is wrong. There was no way he could know that she would do that to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting