Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Do you factor in all those things when you get your clothes dirty?
Of course not; we weren't comparing the costs of a laundering or drycleaning service for adults' clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
we have had well water, so there is no cost for water.
We pay a bi-monthly water bill in Southern California, which of course varies with the amount of water used by a household.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:45 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
Hi I was wondering for those who have used cloth diapers.....Did you like them? When you are traveling or are out in public, and baby poops, does the water proof bag really seal out the smell of walking around all day w/ a soiled diaper? I really think cloth diapering is cheaper and a obviously better for the evironment, and just an all around better way to go, but was just wondering about the cons and how you cloth diapering mamas do it. Oh and what do you do for overnight. Does the cloth really hold up without leakage? Thanks in advance
I used cloth for my 3rd child, but I have been using mostly disposables with my 4th. (He's almost potty trained now though, so I won't have to use anything much longer! YAY!)

With my 3rd I really enjoyed using cloth, but I had a few problems. I had to use disposables at night to keep him from peeing in my bed. Even if I doubled them up he still soaked right through. Also, he had really chubby legs, and the cloth diaper gave him an extra huge butt, so he reached a certain point when I couldn't fit him in his car seat properly anymore if he wore cloth. With the fat legs and the extra bulk of the cloth, I couldn't get the straps tight enough without squashing his little penis.

I wish that I had been better about using cloth with my youngest, but it really was a lot of work. I'm out and about with all of my other kids every day and I found that cloth was harder when I wasn't at home. We just used the Gerber prefolds with the velcro covers, but I've heard that many of the more expensive brands are better/easier to use.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,912,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We pay a bi-monthly water bill in Southern California, which of course varies with the amount of water used by a household.
Yes, it is almost impossible to determine an average cost of cloth diapers because water prices differ so much, from none to a whole lot. I think if a person is going to use cost savings as a factor in whether to use cloth or disposable, you have to work on the initial costs only, since the other factors are more difficult to determine. After all, it would stand to reason that you potentially pay more in garbage service and vehicle gas (for running to store just for diapers) when using disposables. But really, it would be outlandish to factor in these issues into the cost of disposables. Although it is easier to track the costs of electricity and water, you have to ask yourself "What's the point?" Perhaps a better question is do you have the time, since it is another load of laundry (although the folding goes really quickly).

Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
I used disposables with my first until potty training, but she now wears a cloth diaper overnight. She was fine with Pampers, but was allergic to Pull-Ups (of every brand we tried), so that's why we switched to cloth at that time under recommendation of her pediatrician. My second is now in cloth during the day and disposables at night. I was waiting for her cord stump to fall off before putting her in the cloth overnight, but it just fell off 2 days ago (it hung on almost 6 weeks!!) so we'll be doing cloth at night with her too now. We use pocket diapers with hemp inserts for overnights and it works just fine.

We don't use the prefolds and covers, we use the more expensive pockets and all-in-ones mostly. We also tried prefolds and fitteds, but I wasn't crazy about needing to put a cover on top, and though they didn't leak out of the covers and onto the clothes, they did leak out of the diaper onto the covers, so I would run out of covers because they kept getting dirty. I've also started sewing my own fitted diapers from flannel and terry, and those also require a cover because they aren't waterproof, but they don't leak out so it's not so bad that way, and certainly cheaper.

Anyway, for the ones I'm buying, I'm getting them used off of DiaperSwappers.com or craigslist for about $10 per diaper. Then I can sell them again when I'm done with them for a little less, but I can get probably at least half my money back. So, I may spend $200 on my diapers, but then I can get $100 back later. I also wash them myself. I'm using Charlie's Soap, which is about $12 for 80 loads, so I'm not too worried about my detergent costs. I wash a load of diapers every 2 or 3 days and then line dry them and then throw them in the dryer for a few minutes just to fluff them up. 3 loads of laundry per week isn't that much extra water, especially since I have an HE washer. I've heard that the water used to wash diapers is typically equivalent to the amount of water the child will use once potty trained just flushing the toilet 5-6 times per day anyway. Anyway, I'm sure that for us, even using pockets and all-in-ones, it is definitely still significantly cheaper to use cloth diapers.

For outings, I have a zippered plastic bag where I put the dirties, and haven't had a problem with stinkies. But my baby is still exclusively breastfed, so they aren't very stinky anyway. The one I use is what came with my diaper bag, and it will hold 2 diapers. I plan to get an actual zippered wetbag, but haven't yet. I also use cloth wipes that I sewed from flannel and terry at home, but when we go out I find it easier to use disposable wipes.

Oh, and I don't pre-soak my diapers or use bleach.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I used disposables with my first until potty training, but she now wears a cloth diaper overnight. She was fine with Pampers, but was allergic to Pull-Ups (of every brand we tried), so that's why we switched to cloth at that time under recommendation of her pediatrician. My second is now in cloth during the day and disposables at night. I was waiting for her cord stump to fall off before putting her in the cloth overnight, but it just fell off 2 days ago (it hung on almost 6 weeks!!) so we'll be doing cloth at night with her too now. We use pocket diapers with hemp inserts for overnights and it works just fine.

We don't use the prefolds and covers, we use the more expensive pockets and all-in-ones mostly. We also tried prefolds and fitteds, but I wasn't crazy about needing to put a cover on top, and though they didn't leak out of the covers and onto the clothes, they did leak out of the diaper onto the covers, so I would run out of covers because they kept getting dirty. I've also started sewing my own fitted diapers from flannel and terry, and those also require a cover because they aren't waterproof, but they don't leak out so it's not so bad that way, and certainly cheaper.

Anyway, for the ones I'm buying, I'm getting them used off of DiaperSwappers.com or craigslist for about $10 per diaper. Then I can sell them again when I'm done with them for a little less, but I can get probably at least half my money back. So, I may spend $200 on my diapers, but then I can get $100 back later. I also wash them myself. I'm using Charlie's Soap, which is about $12 for 80 loads, so I'm not too worried about my detergent costs. I wash a load of diapers every 2 or 3 days and then line dry them and then throw them in the dryer for a few minutes just to fluff them up. 3 loads of laundry per week isn't that much extra water, especially since I have an HE washer. I've heard that the water used to wash diapers is typically equivalent to the amount of water the child will use once potty trained just flushing the toilet 5-6 times per day anyway. Anyway, I'm sure that for us, even using pockets and all-in-ones, it is definitely still significantly cheaper to use cloth diapers.

For outings, I have a zippered plastic bag where I put the dirties, and haven't had a problem with stinkies. But my baby is still exclusively breastfed, so they aren't very stinky anyway. The one I use is what came with my diaper bag, and it will hold 2 diapers. I plan to get an actual zippered wetbag, but haven't yet. I also use cloth wipes that I sewed from flannel and terry at home, but when we go out I find it easier to use disposable wipes.

Oh, and I don't pre-soak my diapers or use bleach.
"$10 per diaper."

ONE diaper cost $10.00 now days??????? ...WOW...

Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"$10 per diaper."

ONE diaper cost $10.00 now days??????? ...WOW...
Depends what you're buying. I'm getting mine used even - they retail for more! A bunch of moms I know online are obsessed with Goodmama diapers, which retail for $35, but they trade around rare prints for $50 or even more! Yikes! http://shop.thegoodmama.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=96
On the other hand, you can still get Gerber pre-folds for cheap, but even the better GMD prefolds are about $2 a piece. Green Mountain Diapers: Prefold Diapers

Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
Default alot of work, but worth it!

Hi I only used them for a ayear but I had regular cloth diaper from walmart with the 12 ply. Then used a velcro diaper cover. They costed $7. a piece. Once all the diapers were washed, I would place each cloth in a diaper cover for it to be ready when I needed it. then I had a bucket with water and a lil bit of organic detergent by the changing table, to put the dirty diapers in. if there was poop i would drop itno the toilet. Every other day I would wash them in organic detergent. NO BLEACH! After they went through the cycle there would be poop stains on them but hanging them outstide to dry, the sun would bleach them. So it was very healthy for the baby. I would also bring a twistie tie bags with me to put dirty diapers in. They were very cheap. Smell wasnt bad. Just dont leavre them in your vehicle overnight. At night I would just use a regular diaper. A moma needs some sleep.
And I made my own baby wipes. Bounty paper towels, and organic baby shampoo, very easy and inexspensive. I have 2 lil boys and been makin wipes for 28 months now. If your interested I'll give you the recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting