Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,583,581 times

Advertisements

Although I don't know for sure........there was a news story not too long ago letting us 'in on the secret' that some cable companies will let you add certain channels a la carte, and if that's true then perhaps they would let you cancel certain channels as well. It wouldn't hurt to ask. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:37 PM

806 posts, read 2,950,098 times
Wow, that must suck for you. I dunno what I'd do without premium cable. Just block some channels or password it or something. Cable is pretty cheap when you think about how often you use it and the ease compared to watching it online.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,056,361 times
We got disgusted with Cable about 2 years ago and dumped it. BUT we recently moved to BFE Oklahoma and can't get DSL SO I now have DirectTV so I can get Satellite internet service. I am not real happy about going back to way to much exposure to that stuff for my 12 year old but I am glad I can go back to CSI and Law and Order.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
.... The only thing that I think will be a problem will be the Playhouse Disney stuff for my youngest. She loves the Whinnie the Pooh stuff I do feel badly about that because I am mostly doing as a punishment for her older sister. I have some DVD's though and I think I can download some Super Slueth video's from iTunes she can watch on the computer maybe??? The would remedy that....
But oh, oh, oh!!! Did you know that Playhouse Disney streams? Here is the link: Playhouse Disney. I hope the link works. If not, go to disney.com, click on the "Preschool" button on the righthand side, then scroll down to the yellow area where there will be a link to "Full Episodes." They have a huge line-up for the stream (lots of Handy Manny and Tigger and Pooh, some Little Einsteins, as well as others). The stream stays up for either one or two weeks, then they put up new episodes to stream.

For the most part, we have never had TV after our children were born (there was a six month period where daddy and son had a routine of watching Playhouse Disney through the free cable we had...we got rid of our "movie tv" shortly after that so it wouldn't be tempting us). My older son would get a movie once a week. Now that I am a SAHM with two busy, busy boys, they watch movies a lot more often just so I can take a breather, clean, or make dinner! I never thought I would say that much less put it down for all to see!

So happily we have never had to deal with "Mommy I really want ______ toys/books/clothes/etc." (fill in the blank with the latest craze). They are blissfully unaware of what they are suppose to need...umm...want, according to the corporations. Although this year my son did want a transformer because a bunch of other kids at school did. I don't think he realized it was a movie. No Spiderman! No X-Men! No whatever the next movie is!

So they watch episodes from PBSkids.org, Playhouse Disney (disney.com), NASA.gov (the have an educational channel along with the public channel), and until lately, Discovery.com (they have removed a lot of their full episodes). I just started checking out the regular PBS.org. My oldest loves science and nature documentaries, so that gives us some additional sites to check.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
But oh, oh, oh!!! Did you know that Playhouse Disney streams? Here is the link: Playhouse Disney. I hope the link works. If not, go to disney.com, click on the "Preschool" button on the righthand side, then scroll down to the yellow area where there will be a link to "Full Episodes." They have a huge line-up for the stream (lots of Handy Manny and Tigger and Pooh, some Little Einsteins, as well as others). The stream stays up for either one or two weeks, then they put up new episodes to stream.

For the most part, we have never had TV after our children were born (there was a six month period where daddy and son had a routine of watching Playhouse Disney through the free cable we had...we got rid of our "movie tv" shortly after that so it wouldn't be tempting us). My older son would get a movie once a week. Now that I am a SAHM with two busy, busy boys, they watch movies a lot more often just so I can take a breather, clean, or make dinner! I never thought I would say that much less put it down for all to see!

So happily we have never had to deal with "Mommy I really want ______ toys/books/clothes/etc." (fill in the blank with the latest craze). They are blissfully unaware of what they are suppose to need...umm...want, according to the corporations. Although this year my son did want a transformer because a bunch of other kids at school did. I don't think he realized it was a movie. No Spiderman! No X-Men! No whatever the next movie is!

So they watch episodes from PBSkids.org, Playhouse Disney (disney.com), NASA.gov (the have an educational channel along with the public channel), and until lately, Discovery.com (they have removed a lot of their full episodes). I just started checking out the regular PBS.org. My oldest loves science and nature documentaries, so that gives us some additional sites to check.
I just checked it out and added it to my favorites!!!! You have totally saved my life! My five year old is going to be over the moon when shd finds out I have this! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I so appreciate the tip! Really I mean it.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,711,634 times
I just moved a few weeks ago into a household with no cable. Really, we do supposedly have cable, but we only get 19 channels, 5 of which are constant weather. D:
I was never a big fan of TV, but when I did watch it there was always something on. Now the only show I'll watch is Jeopardy because it's the only decent show we get. And every time a car drives by or the weather is bad we lose connection. *sad*

As a result I've been reading a bit more and playing video games instead. I kind of miss having something to watch whenever I want. Plus I have to deal with my dad pacing back and fourth all the time complaining that there's nothing on TV except weather and murder.

I always thought it was a great concept to get rid of cable, but now that summer started and my work hours have been cut it doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,736 times
Quote:
I just checked it out and added it to my favorites!!!! You have totally saved my life! My five year old is going to be over the moon when shd finds out I have this! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I so appreciate the tip! Really I mean it.
Anytime

Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,904 times
Quote:
I have been threatening my daughter with this for some time. I feel like the Hannah Montana's and London Tipton's are taking over the air time and totally sending kids the wrong message. I know there were similar things on tv when we were growing up- but I also feel like they went over our heads or were not as obnoxious as they are today. My daughter picks up on everything... the hand on the hip, the hair flip, the tone of the voice, the attitude... at first we just addressed it, then we banned the show... then the channel completely... but one channel seems to be like the next....from Disney to Nick's iCarly... They want six year olds to act like16 year olds these days. She is so impressionable I don't need the extra help.... SO today I pulled the plug. I don't mean to turn into the PBS MOM I used to mock out growing up... really I don't! But I feel like society is really pushing kids to act way to big for their britches... I felt the need to take control and today I did.... we'll see how we do.... I guess WORD GIRL will have to take the place of Hannah Montana for now.
I agree. All of the shows you mention are pure ----.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,888,478 times
We moved into a new house three years ago and had a miserable time getting cable hooked up. A month went by, then six weeks, then two months and so on... As time went by, I heard fewer and fewer complaints from hubby and the kids (then middle school). We finally made the decision to just forget about it altogether.

All in all - the best thing we have ever done!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 AM

467 posts, read 979,720 times
Sat morning cartoons don't exist in the way we remember them. Pretty much what's on on Sat is whats on on Sun thru Fri, as well. Its all the same stuff over and over. yawn.

Keep in mind, if your kid has friends and they go to their house at all, they may just watch the shows over there too. The things seems to be on all day long for some reason. I don't understand Disney. They have this long history of shows we could be watching, why is it only the same 6 shows over and over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting