U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:37 PM

1,091 posts, read 2,370,495 times
I was a teen mom.
All I have to say about it is, I'd have been a better mom if I'd know all that I know now.
That's not to say that no teen moms are good parents. I'm sure many are.
They'd probably be even better ones in another ten or twenty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,309,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My daughter, age 16, got pregnant from a 14 year old. They wanted to keep the baby. The 14 year old got a job washing dishes, went to every single doctor appointment, was present at the birth and has turned out to be a stellar dad. Now my grandson is almost 2. He's happy, healthy, well adjusted and totally the darling of a whole group of teenagers.

I have to help them financially......but other than that.....they are great parents. I took the whole bunch to Disney World a couple of weeks ago. I've never been so impressed in my life in how they were just dedicated to make sure this child was happy all day long.

Maybe we should rethink the age qualifications of parents. Maybe true love is the only qualification needed. Maybe....just maybe....they are more mature than a whole lot of adults who find their kids as stumbling blocks in the road of success than kids who consider this new life a complete blessing.
I am glad to hear it has apparently worked out fairly well for you daughter and her boyfriend. But let us face it, this is EXTREMELY rare.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 PM

10,074 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In the past when every 12 year old couldn't explain to you all the various positions, they weren't all getting pregnant
The teen preganancy rate declined 28% between 1990 and 2002 so I hardly think they are ALL getting pregnant.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 AM

2,194 posts, read 4,013,219 times
Teen pregnancy so often creates another generation of problems. Babies being cared for by busy grandmas who are already over-worked caring for their own children... Babies being shuttled between houses from infancy... Less than optimal stability and supervision... All of these are ingredients to create the next generation of kids who will grow up without firm goals to guide them and end up making bad decisions.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 AM

467 posts, read 599,206 times
did anyone really wait till marriage to have sex after they left home? Thats quite a wait for some people

Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 AM

3,364 posts, read 5,642,297 times
We watched Taken last night "On Demand".

My dh and I discussed having our daughter watch it about age 10 or so... if the girl hadn't been a virgin, her dad wouldn't have had enough time to find and rescue her.

Perhaps showing it to all middle-schoolers would cut down on premarital sex!

Good message!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 AM

224 posts, read 419,505 times
actually, I don't think having my 10 and 11 year old watch that movie is a good idea. For one, movies are movies for a reason. They aren't trying to promote any kind of awareness. They are only using the "issue" to make alot of money. I prefer the abstinence awareness programs that our kids can become a real part of. I prefer to teach my children about sex without going Hollywood style about it, because that is just another way of letting the world have too much say, it's really just another cop out, and our kids don't need anymore of those.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,570,864 times
I cannot honestly imagine having a child at the age of 16,18 or even when I was in my 20's to be honest! I guess you have to give credit to where credit is due and that would be to the parents who supported their children,guided them is more the term I think I should use,through a pregnancy..
I was in late 30's when we adopted our first daughter and I was 40 when adopting our second.
I could not ever picture myself as a parent any younger,and certainly not in my teens.( I suppose if things would have happened the natural way, I would have "had" our children a LITTLE earlier,but...)

I do not know what I will do if either of my daughter's come to me as a teen with that news...
I know that I would like to think that I will be this accepting parent and guide them with as much grace and patience as I could, but honestly,I just don't know right now.
I do know that it would be a great disappointment to both their father & I.

Speaking as an older mom who did struggle with becoming pregnant,nothing would irritate me more or bring me to tears (depending on the day!) then walking through the mall and seeing the teens w/their friends and a baby hanging out with them... I selfishly would think "why in the world are they getting pregnant??"
Eventually I got over it, life is what it is... and I have 2 beautiful girls now,their mommy is a bit older than most of their friends,but oh well!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,683,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I cannot honestly imagine having a child at the age of 16,18 or even when I was in my 20's to be honest! I guess you have to give credit to where credit is due and that would be to the parents who supported their children,guided them is more the term I think I should use,through a pregnancy..
I was in late 30's when we adopted our first daughter and I was 40 when adopting our second.
I could not ever picture myself as a parent any younger,and certainly not in my teens.( I suppose if things would have happened the natural way, I would have "had" our children a LITTLE earlier,but...)

I do not know what I will do if either of my daughter's come to me as a teen with that news...
I know that I would like to think that I will be this accepting parent and guide them with as much grace and patience as I could, but honestly,I just don't know right now.
I do know that it would be a great disappointment to both their father & I.

Speaking as an older mom who did struggle with becoming pregnant,nothing would irritate me more or bring me to tears (depending on the day!) then walking through the mall and seeing the teens w/their friends and a baby hanging out with them... I selfishly would think "why in the world are they getting pregnant??"
Eventually I got over it, life is what it is... and I have 2 beautiful girls now,their mommy is a bit older than most of their friends,but oh well!
Older mom here, too. Now that my kids are teens I find that I have nothing in common with people my age who want to discuss their various medical conditions. However, I can text on my cell, go to concerts, spend weekends shopping for the "perfect" prom dress, plan parties and see movies with them I probably wouldn't be seeing if not for them. I have FaceBook and MySpace accounts. When I mention my age to my 17 year old daughter, she reponds with "oh mom, that's not you -- you're different."

In other words, being an older mom is good. Being a teen mom is not good.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,642,297 times
actually, I don't think having my 10 and 11 year old watch that movie is a good idea.

I was being facetious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting