Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM

506 posts, read 326,627 times

Advertisements

There is always something disturbing the child who is screaming, however important or unimportant it may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Parents will teach their kids to stop screaming about the same time as old fat boomers stop assaulting everyone's ears with their three-quarter-life crisis Harleys.

In other words; never. Immature people like to make noise.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 PM

430 posts, read 639,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Little girls love to squeel---not exactly a scream but a playful noise when they are being chased with a water pistal, etc. If a child can't run and yell with abandone outside in his own neighborhood that is pretty sad. They sure aren't doing it to distraction to any of my family or neighbors and my kids know this is appropriate for outside play.

Teachers will tell you they encourage kids to whoop and holler outside. It is a great tension release and burns off that extra energy that builds up when they have to be quiet and orderly for hours inside.

We have double pane windows so i rarely hear kids playing outside and when I am outside in the garden when they run and play I actually enjoy hearing the sounds of kids playing. I remind my girls never to yell No when they really mean Yes. And after awhile an experienced parent can tell the difference between play screams and distress screams. It takes a trained ear.
It's ridiculous that a lot of people seem to think screaming is "for outside". Has it ever occurred to you that people might think your stupid child is in trouble and call the police? I'm sorry but making people think you're being abducted is not "fun". Screaming is not yelling and kids needs to be taught that.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
My kids are screechers when they play together. I was never really able to stop it as it is just how they would express excitement when running around. I would tell them to not screech as it is obnoxious so they try to keep the screeching to a minimum but sometimes it just happens.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
It's ridiculous that a lot of people seem to think screaming is "for outside". Has it ever occurred to you that people might think your stupid child is in trouble and call the police? I'm sorry but making people think you're being abducted is not "fun". Screaming is not yelling and kids needs to be taught that.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
our next door neighbors have 2 really annoying kids. one will just stand outside and scream, like you described. i don't get it...they just ignore him. the other day at the grocery store, a kid, somewhere across the store would just scream randomly. i never did see the kid, just kept hearing him or her scream. i don't hear it often and i mostly just ignore it because you don't know if they have a disorder or something.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think certain activities lend themselves to the kind of screeching OP is talking about - high on that list would be pools and sprinklers. Something about them leads to screaming. But if kids are outside playing a game like baseball, SPUD (remember SPUD?), hopscotch, or just riding their bikes, the fact is that there MAY be screaming, but most likely it's not going to be all-encompassing and ongoing. Those activities do not lend themselves to the kind of screeching the OP is talking about. The sounds of children just playing together is not what I think he is talking about. I just wonder what is going on with these kids, sounds like there may be a lot of teasing/tormenting going on. But the fact is telling kids not to be loud outside is like taking them to the park and telling them not to run and climb (and yes I've seen parents do this at the park, whilst breaking out the snacks and juice...what's the point?!)

Kids acting up indoors, in public....sometimes you have to wonder what parents are thinking. Maybe as two consenting adults you prefer to eat out at 7:30 on a Saturday night, but chances are, your kids are tired and cranky and over-hungry and won't behave. Going out to dinner with children requires going at an appropriate hour, even if it's not when YOU would like to eat. Last time DH and I took the kids to dinner we went at 4:30 - we were there before anyone else and out of there before the dinner crunch started and our kids were behaved because they weren't tired and low-blood-sugared. Screaming in Target, grocery stores, etc? - well sometimes you've just gotta get things done. In that situation, while no one wants to hear it, it's really not that big of a deal. It's 10 minutes out of your day while you run errands, and your ears won't start bleeding. We've all been children and we've all acted up at some point in public!
Other customers may only have to listen to unnecessary noise for 10 minutes, but the hapless employees are a different story. Parents don't seem to get that theirs isn't the only kid in the store. You need to do a little math and realize that there's probably at least a hundred kids throughout an 8 hour shift that have employees fighting the temptation to kick your screaming free range children into the frozen foods section.

I suppose I may as well be talking to a brick wall. If parents don't care about the Hell they are inflicting on other customers, they sure as Hell don't care about the poor employees who are a captive audience and CANNOT simply leave.

All I can say is how would you feel if you had to listen to a cacophony of constant unnecessary noise if YOU were trying to work and were forbidden from using earplugs to block it out ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting