Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I didn't realize there were so many grouchy people around. Really, a store is a large place with a lot of people and it will be noisy. And yes children are expected to be there and some will be noisier than others.
I think most people, even most of the "grouchy" ones, concur that sometimes kids act up but seeing a little effort in the other parent's actions goes a long way.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Heck your son has more money in the bank than I do. Come to think of it so do my kids. Maybe I should let my kids (those that have money) go do the shopping while I throw a fit. Afterall they have more right to be in the store than I do, being that they are the ones with money.
eh, I put too many numbers in. I fixed it though. $435.00

Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
eh, I put too many numbers in. I fixed it though. $435.00
He still has more money in the bank than me.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think most people, even most of the "grouchy" ones, concur that sometimes kids act up but seeing a little effort in the other parent's actions goes a long way.
I don't know it sounds to me that people get annoyed too easily. As I've said earlier I rarely see kids having meltdowns at the stores. Based on this thread you'll think there are kids all over the store screaming at all times.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Cry me a river.

The famous quote! hahhahahahahahhahahahh

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I don't know it sounds to me that people get annoyed too easily. As I've said earlier I rarely see kids having meltdowns at the stores. Based on this thread you'll think there are kids all over the store screaming at all times.
lol no kidding!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
I rarely had melt downs with my kids and on the few occasions that did occur, I never left a store. It didn't take me long to get them calmed down. I did leave the table in restaurants a few times when it was a toddler or younger, but never left the place entirely. It's just something that happens...no big deal in general.

Honestly, I'd much rather hear an upset child than an adult. I can tolerate a child screaming much better than I can tolerate an adult cursing or berating someone they are with....and that happens far more often than a child having a fit.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM

199 posts, read 652,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Honestly, I'd much rather hear an upset child than an adult. I can tolerate a child screaming much better than I can tolerate an adult cursing or berating someone they are with....and that happens far more often than a child having a fit.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I rarely had melt downs with my kids and on the few occasions that did occur, I never left a store. It didn't take me long to get them calmed down. I did leave the table in restaurants a few times when it was a toddler or younger, but never left the place entirely. It's just something that happens...no big deal in general.

When my kids were little I would go out of my way to pick a kid friendly restaurant (McDonald's, Friendly's, etc.) at a kid friendly hour and would occasionally get seated next to the grouchiest, kid intolerant, grown up in the place. You could just see the person getting more tense and angry with every squeel from my toddler.

I once got a glare from a woman doing paperwork at Chuck E Cheese - I am not kidding.

Luckily the vast majority of people seem to get a kick out of being seated next to little ones.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree. It's one thing if the parents are even trying...

I just got back from Target and there was a little boy in the back of a cart, 3 1/2 or maybe 4, with his mom. We passed by them in several areas of the store over a 30+ minute time frame, first in shoes, then again by the girls/boys clothing, women's clearance and finally by the dressing rooms. This boy was chanting/whining the whole time..."Mommy I'm hungry. Mommy I'm huuuuungry. Mommy, is it time to eat? Mommy, I'm hungry. Mommy do you have anything to eat? Mommy I'm hungry." The mother said NOTHING the entire time and didn't even really look at him. Finally the boy changed his cries to "Mommy do you hear me? Mommy, say something to me. Mommy why don't you speak to me? Mommy do you hear me?" and then he went back to "Mommy I'm huuuuungry." Still, she said not one word. Now this little kid wasn't jumping up and down in the cart or screaming uncontrollably, he wasn't asking for chips or begging for candy. This seemed to be a case of a totally unresponsive parent and a hungry kid. Clearly her strategy of ignoring him was not working as silence does not satisfy hunger. Everyone in Target knew this kid was just hungry, not a bratty kid throwing a tantrum.
I was ready to offer to take the kid to lunch while she went to the dressing room.

It's this kind of thing that is so frustrating to me. Kids dragging around stores when they should be home napping or in bed, kids who are stuck in carts when lunch was 2 hours ago and mom still has to go TRY ON all the clothes piled in the cart...of course they are going to act up...any little kid would. I know any kid can have a bad day, any parent can have a bad day but the frequency of these events tells me it is much more than that. Sometimes it's bratty spoiled kids just trying to get what they want and sometimes it's parents who just don't know how to handle their kids. More often it's a combination of both.

Still, I have to wonder how people manage like this day after day...you know this wasn't the first time this kid in Target had an 'issue' in the store. It's not the first time his mother completely ignored him. It will happen again, maybe louder and more obnoxious next time. How many times do you go out and hear kids like this or worse? It's not their first time either...it's probably a regular occurrence. We've known couples who had to take their kids to the car EVERY TIME we got together...at a restaurant, at our house, at church....it got very tiring to be with them and eventually the friendships dwindled. Too bad, they were nice people in general, we just couldn't take one more cup of juice thrown across the table or mouthful of food spit out on the plate or people staring at us while we all tried to eat dinner as the kids jumped on chairs or ran around the restaurant. It was also a little difficult to explain to our kid why those other kids behaved like that. They would sit with horrified faces thinking 'I can't believe he just kicked his mom.', they would look at me to see what I would do because they knew they didn't dare ever kick me or spit out food on the plate or throw a cup of juice across the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting