Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,404,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I once got a glare from a woman doing paperwork at Chuck E Cheese - I am not kidding.
wow, was she working there? Thats funny!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
They do it on airplanes...

In all actuality, the commonality of seeing extreme temper tantrums to the extent of needing removal is very small.

The store is private property, so, legally, the manager could call the police if there was a disturbance...such as when too many teenagers mull around the local convienence store...cops show up & ask them to go elsewhere...

As someone else said, it's the parents yelling at the kids to "shut up!" (a word I despise) & making mean remarks to the children ("you are fat enough, you don't need that") that are more aggravating then the whining children.

Again, whining, squirming, crying...it happens. Screaming, kicking, throwing (even better...throwing the items at other customers)...that's the problem that should be addressed.
I am not sure if you are singing for the choir or trying to make a point to me?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
That poor kid. Now in a case like this one I probably would have spoken up to the mother and asked her if it would be okay if I were to buy her child something to eat or even drink (sometimes a drink.
Are you looking for a fight? If anybody would have the nerv to come up and tell me to feed my child or have them buy my child food to shut my child up, I would have to restrain myself not to do something I regret. Bad idea!
Stay out of other peoples business. You have no idea why the child is acting up. You don't know if he or she is hungry, or tiered or just being a rebellious child who wants everything in the store that looks like a toy.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-09-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

I've seen kids pulling stuff of shelves and throwing it on the floor, ripping open bags of stuff and the parents seeing this just keep moving and make no attempt to pick up the thrown items.

Kids pressing their hands down hard on packages of chop meat, making hand prints and the parents thinking it's cute and laughing at it.
Wow, I would hate to live where you live. I have never seen kids do all those things and then have the parents ignore them..but I am not sure what your neighborhood is like.
But I have seen adults tasting the candy in the candy isle without paying. I have seen adults putting poultry they didn't want on a non refrigerated shelf because they were to lazy to take their fat ass back to where the come from. I seen adults many times acting rude to the cashier. I have seen adult yelling at the cashier over some coupons. It is not the kids we need to worry about.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,037,574 times
I can't tell if you've had your glass of merlot yet tonight or maybe one too many..???

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,848,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Are you looking for a fight? If anybody would have the nerv to come up and tell me to feed my child or have them buy my child food to shut my child up, I would have to restrain myself not to do something I regret. Bad idea!
Stay out of other peoples business. You have no idea why the child is acting up. You don't know if he or she is hungry, or tiered or just being a rebellious child who wants everything in the store that looks like a toy.
No I'm not looking for a fight. I would however sympathize with a child who was trying to tell his mother he was hungry while trying to refrain from throwing an outright fit while she ignored him. I normally stay out of people's business, but when I see some poor excuses of parenting skills, I would have a hard time keeping from saying something. In the case like the boy who was trying to tell his mom he was hungry (not begging for a toy) and after being consistantly ignored, I wouldn't have faulted that kid for throwing a huge fit. Heck I probably would have encouraged it in that case. Now had the mother told the child that they would be going home soon to eat or if he was paitent just a little longer until she was done they would go get a happy meal or something and then hurried up her shopping or even if she would have said how can you be hungry we just ate that would have been a different story. But from the sounds of it, she just continued to ignore his pleas and still had a cart full of clothes she wanted to try on. It sounded more like she was concerned for only herself, who cares that the kid was hungry, she had to have those new clothes and other gagets in her cart.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,736,563 times
Quote:
No I'm not looking for a fight. I would however sympathize with a child who was trying to tell his mother he was hungry while trying to refrain from throwing an outright fit while she ignored him. I normally stay out of people's business, but when I see some poor excuses of parenting skills, I would have a hard time keeping from saying something. In the case like the boy who was trying to tell his mom he was hungry (not begging for a toy) and after being consistantly ignored, I wouldn't have faulted that kid for throwing a huge fit. Heck I probably would have encouraged it in that case. Now had the mother told the child that they would be going home soon to eat or if he was paitent just a little longer until she was done they would go get a happy meal or something and then hurried up her shopping or even if she would have said how can you be hungry we just ate that would have been a different story. But from the sounds of it, she just continued to ignore his pleas and still had a cart full of clothes she wanted to try on. It sounded more like she was concerned for only herself, who cares that the kid was hungry, she had to have those new clothes and other gagets in her cart.
Maybe she already told him all that. My dd is like that with milk. She ask for it 20 times. If you tell her you don't have any she just keeps on asking. And no I do not give her milk every time she ask because if I did she would never eat any solid food.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,606,651 times
My child was 2 at the time and we were on a very long line at DMV. The line moved slowly and my son was bored of his toys, didn't want a Cheerio, and was preparing to engage in full blown meltdown.

Meltdown commenced.

I had spent a solid 25 minutes on line, had driven 30 mins to get there and was beside myself trying to figure out what to do -- I had to register the car (I drove it there unregistered!) but I had to address my screaming toddler out of respect to those around me.

Once in a blue moon, a state agency has an angel on staff. That was my day. She crossed the cue, asked to take my paperwork and brought me to a little room on the side for my son to cool down. When she returned with everything processed, I couldn't begin to thank her enough.

The melt down wasn't completely over and resumed in the car on the ride home. At least it was just the two of us, or so I thought.

A Sheriff pulled me over. He asked if I knew why and knowing that I wasn't speeding, I said, "No." (At this time I look harried, but my son is mellowing out looking at the Sheriff's shiny badge and hat.)

He told me that I was pulled over because I was missing my registration sticker. I smiled and showed him my freshly processed paperwork. Looking it over, he replied,"So if I stopped you heading east, you wouldn't have been registered?"
"Yes, sir!"
"Get out of here," he said with a smile.

I thank heaven that the DMV angel pulled me off line. If she hadn't I would have driven home unregistered with a screaming child. And I would have received a ticket.

Sometimes tantrums can be good!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 AM

467 posts, read 981,026 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Maybe she already told him all that. My dd is like that with milk. She ask for it 20 times. If you tell her you don't have any she just keeps on asking. And no I do not give her milk every time she ask because if I did she would never eat any solid food.
I kinda agree. We don't know all the facts when we walk into these situations. For all we know the kid has been whining about this and that (and doesn't really NEED those things, its just something to whine about that pushes her buttons and he knows it) all morning because he's bored or whatever and is just being a pest, so she's decided its just time to ignore him for now since all he's doing is trying to get his way (which is to leave and do what HE wants to do without any real regard to what his mother's errands are at the moment). Some kids know if they whine enough about everything in creation, eventually mom will get frustrated and just give in to shut em up.

That may not be the case here, but again...we just don't know based on what little we've seen. Best to stay out of it unless you actually know the person, even then... use caution.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM

17,101 posts, read 16,264,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
wow, was she working there? Thats funny!
From what I could tell, she had brought her own children to Chuck E Cheese on the condition that they leave her alone so that she could get some work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting