Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I can't tell if you've had your glass of merlot yet tonight or maybe one too many..???
I am not sure why you would write that. I guess, here we go assuming again.
Anyway. It was not funny.
And FYI, i don't drink wine on week days.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-10-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

199 posts, read 651,014 times
I liked how you stated your cause with out being mean in all the posts so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,051,501 times
Quote:
I can't tell if you've had your glass of merlot yet tonight or maybe one too many..???
I was wondering the same thing myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I thought it was hilarious and would have given NC 10 rep points but already had.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,216,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
I liked how you stated your cause with out being mean in all the posts so far

It's called class! And it's a shame a few don't have any

Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,002,329 times
Quote:
I agree. It's one thing if the parents are even trying...

...<insert NCyank's story about the little boy in Target, fussing about being hungry, while mother ignored him...>

...Everyone in Target knew this kid was just hungry, not a bratty kid throwing a tantrum.
I was ready to offer to take the kid to lunch while she went to the dressing room.
This reminds me of a scene I was involved in a few years back. I was in a card store and noticed a little boy, about 3 years old, with his mom. Let's call him Bobby. Mom was looking at cards. Card after card after card. Bobby was bored but trying his darnest to be "good". He kept pulling out cards, taking them to her. "Mommy, what's this one say?" "Mommy, is this one ok?" "Mommy, how about this one?". It was obvious he was too young to read. Mommy just kept sweeping him aside (once almost literally), looking annoyed that he kept bothering her.

Finally, Mommy snapped. "Bobby, can't you see I'm BUSY here? This is IMPORTANT!!!".

My heart broke, but my mind sprang into action. Since I was in the same aisle, I asked little boy, in a compassionate voice but loud enough for Mommy to hear: "Bobby, perhaps you can ask Mommy if it would be ok if I read some cards to you".

Of course, I was taking a risk. Mommy could have exploded or gone off on me. How DARE you talk to my child!!! How DARE you imply I'm a bad mom!!! How DARE you...!!! Instead, Mommy stopped in her tracks (whew!). She looked genuinely touched. I think there may have been tears in her eyes. She thanked me profusely. She looked instantly calmer.

I told Bobby we could read but when Mommy needed to move around the store, we had to move, too. I think she appreciated that. I told her to take her time. Bobby and I had a grand time, sitting on the floor, reading cards. I think I enjoyed it almost as much as he did. We also put back all the cards he'd taken out earlier (and left in their wrong spots). I imagine the store clerks appreciated that .

Eventually, Mommy was ready to purchase. I was ready, too. As she and Bobby were leaving, hand in hand, she looked back at me and mouthed another "thank you". I don't think she was thanking me simply for reading cards.

The whole scene took, maybe 10-15 minutes but I'd love to think it made the day a bit better for both Mommy and Bobby. I know how good I felt afterwards!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Why did you heart break? Maybe the kid was talking non-stop and the mom needed a few minutes of silence to put two thoughts together.
My heart broke because in the moment, there was a sad situation between Mom and Bobby. Regardless of why she may have been in her mood (and you're right, perhaps she was just past her breaking point for whatever reason), the key was, in the moment, I saw a mom and kid who needed help. I felt compassion for little Bobby's current predicament. I wasn't thinking about what may or may not have led to that predicament.

I'll admit, I was also thinking what greeting card could be so danged important (her word) that she couldn't spend 2 seconds to acknowledge her precious little one? Perhaps I could have given her a bit more benefit of the doubt had she been in the Sympathy section. She was in the Happy Birthday section .

Bobby wasn't being obnoxious. He wasn't screaming, kicking, crying or tantrumming. He wasn't angry. Matter of fact, he seemed somewhat oblivious to the fact that Mom was annoyed. He was also an aisle or two away from her, having to run back and forth with his card choices and she seemed oblivious to that. And that worried me. Perhaps her thinking was "hey, as long as he keeps yapping, I know where he is" .

Anyway, I felt sad for little Bobby and that's why my heart broke.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Mia, Stormy, it's obvious there's tension between the two of you (how's that for understatement?). Is it possible for both of you to call a temporary truce so as not to get the thread closed?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,684,052 times
Fortunately after the age of 1 they never had tantrums in the store. I used to have to carry my daughter the ENTIRE I shopped (fun, doing it one handed). However after she turned one, she was fine. It doesn't really bother me when other kids do it. I don't think the parent should have to leave, they have as much right to be there as me.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It still makes me feel a little self-conscious, like I should be carrying a sign: NO I AM NOT STEALING THIS FOOD I WILL PAY FOR IT I SWEAR
Great business idea, JustJulia! Print up some stickers that say that and sell 'em for 10 cents each. You'll make a fortune!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,418,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
My heart broke because in the moment, there was a sad situation between Mom and Bobby. Regardless of why she may have been in her mood (and you're right, perhaps she was just past her breaking point for whatever reason), the key was, in the moment, I saw a mom and kid who needed help. I felt compassion for little Bobby's current predicament. I wasn't thinking about what may or may not have led to that predicament.

I'll admit, I was also thinking what greeting card could be so danged important (her word) that she couldn't spend 2 seconds to acknowledge her precious little one? Perhaps I could have given her a bit more benefit of the doubt had she been in the Sympathy section. She was in the Happy Birthday section .

Bobby wasn't being obnoxious. He wasn't screaming, kicking, crying or tantrumming. He wasn't angry. Matter of fact, he seemed somewhat oblivious to the fact that Mom was annoyed. He was also an aisle or two away from her, having to run back and forth with his card choices and she seemed oblivious to that. And that worried me. Perhaps her thinking was "hey, as long as he keeps yapping, I know where he is" .

Anyway, I felt sad for little Bobby and that's why my heart broke.
Awww. Well, I liked the story! Wipes tears from eyes. Doesn't take much for me to go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.