U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,295 times
Unhappy Desperate mother

I have a 19 year old daughter who is still in high school, she wont grad. until 2010. she is xtremely lazy and doesnt do anything around the house. she is working pt at the mall. i still pay for everything she wants and she can be very demanding. i have a boyfriend who wants to marry me but he doesnt want the responsibility of my daughter who he thinks should be on her own already. my daughter is a little slow in comprehending, in fact she's pretty dumb. I need help in getting her on her own, but im afraid what will happen to her. Any advice what i should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:23 AM

647 posts, read 1,126,024 times
I think you got the wrong web site.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 AM

1,103 posts, read 844,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmith View Post
i still pay for everything she wants and she can be very demanding.
Step 1: Stop paying for everything she wants.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 AM

6,696 posts, read 8,673,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Step 1: Stop paying for everything she wants.
Exactly. She is lazy because you are allowing her to be lazy. Stop paying for everything, give her a deadline to get a job and start paying you rent. The only way she'll fend for herself is if you make her.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 AM

3,223 posts, read 6,000,791 times
Quote:
I have a 19 year old daughter who is still in high school, she wont grad. until 2010. she is xtremely lazy and doesnt do anything around the house. she is working pt at the mall. i still pay for everything she wants and she can be very demanding. i have a boyfriend who wants to marry me but he doesnt want the responsibility of my daughter who he thinks should be on her own already. my daughter is a little slow in comprehending, in fact she's pretty dumb. I need help in getting her on her own, but im afraid what will happen to her. Any advice what i should do?
I think you should dump your boyfriend. He should have NO SAY in what you do or don't do with your daughter. She is still in High School for goodness sake...there are other ways of making her responsible than putting her out on her own.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 AM

3,706 posts, read 7,769,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I think you should dump your boyfriend. He should have NO SAY in what you do or don't do with your daughter. She is still in High School for goodness sake...there are other ways of making her responsible than putting her out on her own.
Agreed, would put your boyfriend on hold if he's coming between you and your daughter, if he doenst like it, too bad. You're responsible for her til she's out of HS which is just another year away - in the meantime, work with her so she can budget and get some independence which is probably what she wants - she needs your support (and will, for a while). Realistically, working p/t at the mall won't enable her to support herself if you want her out of the house, work with her to help her find some direction where she can get some education after HS so she can get a good job and eventually become self supporting - but it's not an overnite thing.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 AM

721 posts, read 1,580,985 times
If you go down to the bottom of the page and click the forum jump you will see a parenting forum. Thats where you can get the best answer's for your question. You will also see your not alone, I remember seeing similar threads there. You can also try doing a search.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 AM

1,128 posts, read 2,400,089 times
I went to special schools for learning disabilities. I don't know if your daughter has learning disabilities, but you can get training for a trade to get her a job and hopefully out of your house. In New York City, they had a division back when I was a young adult called OVR (Office of Vocational R???). New Jersey probably has something like that. Perhaps you can talk with the high school counsellor. Maybe they can make some recommendations.

What are her/your plans for when she does graduate? What kind of job can sustain her? Without a trade, she probably cannot live on the job she is currently at now.

I don't want to tell you what to do like the previous people, but maybe sit down with her and explain that you cannot keep supporting her in the same way. She needs to realize your not always going to be there paying for everything. Something has to change.

I have a friend whose daughter has bipolar. She was pretty demanding too. She got a GED and tried to go to college, but kept dropping classes. She ended up bumbing around with a boyfriend.

The mom ended up moving to Florida and the daughter grew up quite a bit. She is now taking on full college credits and working at the same time.

Your daughter needs to grow up a bit. She sounds immature for her age.

I would suggest talking with the school counsellors about your concern for your daughter, especially what she is going to do AFTER high school.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,631,536 times
Quote:
Mom, maybe a change in your attitude might help your daughter. If she is, in fact, "slow", she will need a lot of support to become independent. I would tell the bf to take a hike. What will happen if your daughter does move out, you marry him, and she needs to move back home for a while?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 AM
zas

95 posts, read 171,145 times
Why is she 19 in the 11th grade? Do she want to finish hs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting