Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,137,365 times

Advertisements

This is a funny Saturday Night Live skit that was done about tattoo removal. If you need a good laugh, you should watch it.

Stupidity.com - SNL Tattoo Removal

I shutter to think what trends my Kindergartner will be going through when she's a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,995,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
The scars of poodle skirts and mullets will never heal.
Too funny!

I have seen some tatoos that were really beautiful. I don't think I'll ever get one, but on other people I can appreciate them if they're done well.

I still think it's really odd having a section for them in a high school yearbook, though. If kids need parents permission to get them, seems like the parents would need to approve them putting photos of themselves and their tats in the yearbook for all to see for the rest of their lives, too. I wonder if the parents knew at all? Maybe the parents of the kids did have to sign some kind of a release form or something?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Too funny!

I have seen some tatoos that were really beautiful. I don't think I'll ever get one, but on other people I can appreciate them if they're done well.

I still think it's really odd having a section for them in a high school yearbook, though. If kids need parents permission to get them, seems like the parents would need to approve them putting photos of themselves and their tats in the yearbook for all to see for the rest of their lives, too. I wonder if the parents knew at all? Maybe the parents of the kids did have to sign some kind of a release form or something?

Parents would only need to approve tattoos for those under 18. Many HS seniors are 18 and can get tattoos without parental approval. For those under 18, I don't know why parental approval for their picture any more than any other picture would be required. FWIW - using that same thought process, every girl (or boy) with pierced ears would need special parental approval also.....

Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,928,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
If the kids want to express their uniqueness, then the kids should show off their own artwork/poetry/music ability..not somebody's else's designs from a tattoo parlor.
Why would you assume it's someone else's design? Many people take their own ideas in to a parlor and work with the artist to come up with the final piece.

Having a section in the yearbook...I'm a little mixed on it. Only because unlike other trends there is the permanent factor that many times kids that young don't think about and there are a lot of kids under 18 getting tattoos illegally and in not clean environments. They also are not thinking about placement for the future and jobs unfortunately. The worst trend lately being the wrist tattoos.

I'm not against tattoos - I'm heavily tattooed in fact. My back is pretty well covered. All my original designs. Thought about long and hard. And I have a teenage son. We've had many discussions regarding tattoos for sure.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,344,808 times
I dont see a problem with it. And so you all know some states can allow 17+ to get tattoos. Also, if the student gets a permission form their parents then they can get it. But you have to realize that tattooing is a form of art, some schools even teach to use a tattoo gun on canva(not skin). These kids can get access to the tools anytime.

I also see nothing wrong with showing off who you want to be. If parents would allow their kids more freedoms in life, kids would not rebel so often. My mother raised my brothers and I right, she gave us free will to do what we want...most of the time we learned real quick that it wasnt for us or that it was stupid. She pretended to not see it or played dumb to it. But as we got older she told us that she had known all along what we were doing. She didnt want us to grow apart as a family, guess what, it worked...even after she died my brothers and I could not be closer.

I never had to rebel from my mom, obviously when we where going to do something really idiotic she stepped in and actually had a friend or relative talk to us who had done what we where about to or had already done.

Not saying it could work for everyone, but seriously...parents need to lighten up. We teach kids to question everything about the world, but when it comes to the rules...no questioning...durrr...this makes no sense...you cannot encourage a child who is growing up to question everything and then turn around and get upset when the question you.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I think you're right. It seem totally inappropriate when it's school related. There really seems to be a huge problem in American teenage culture with image and cliques and showing off body parts/piercings/flashy,sexy clothing,designer this or that etc. rather than any focus or kudos on children's talents, artistic/music abilities, community work, thinking or ideas.

I'd be incredibly happy if all public schools required uniforms or plain attire. When I lived in Europe, all schools had uniforms and there wasn't any issues with image, and focus on who wears what, what clique they belong in etc.
welll like some on wlse said it is no ur decision in the end it is either the teens or the parents. and the year book is made for and by the kids so who cares if they have a tattoo section
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting