Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,913,961 times

Advertisements

My daughter at 2 was like that. Only not for 15 minutes. I think her longest screaming spell hit 4.5 hours.

My solution:

You can scream all you want, but you will do it in your room with the door closed. As soon as you are done, you can come out.

This did two things: It did not reward the screaming with any attention, and it taught her that screaming is socially unacceptable. Screamers do not get to be part of the family.

It took almost a year of this, but in the end in the worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,088 times
thank you all for your input, i think i just needed to hear some opinions. I am going to take the advice of going to the doctor and seeing what she thinks. I know the terrible 2s are coming, I was just praying it wouldnt happen for a while, and i just feel so helpless especially when he can't talk to tell me what exactly is wrong and I have to play a guessing game. Anyway thanks.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM

821 posts, read 2,031,948 times
[quote=mamom1;9214814]Yes, I would definately talk to the doctor about it. Keep a journal of the frequency of the tantrums-why they started, how long they lasted, and what finally got him to stop. Take that journal to the doctor with you and show him/her. Often times doctors will say that it's just a phase (which it may just be) but if you feel it is more than that, don't back down. quote]

I would definatley do the journal it puts things into perpective the doctor will be able to see exactly how many times in a day he does this...

My son was a cryer when he was younger he wouldnt go with anyone else but me and would grab on to me for dear life the minute you took something away he would cry he wouldnt sleep through the night he would cry... you see the pattern always crying... Thank goodness he has grown out of it - Now he is so indepentant he's 3 so he still doesnt like hearing NO LOL but he doesnt cry.

Now my friends son cries, screams, hit, anything he can do he will do it but he does it only in front of his parents I dont like being around when the parents are there because he drives me nuts if they are not their he is actually a pretty great kid as a matter of fact his daycare feels the same way he acts nut when the parents are their to pick him up but other than that he's great - I went to pick him up and I walked right past him because he was sitting so quite that I didnt even notice that was him - LOL

My point is that it might clear up on its own like for my son, or It might be something your doing (i'm not trying to attack you but being a mother is hard) maybe giving him all that he wants so that do dont have to go through a tantrum... or it might be a behavioral issue that would need Doctor care.
My advise to you is write everything down and speak to your doctor.. Good Luck and the bright side it will eventally get better.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM

821 posts, read 2,031,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbzy13 View Post
thank you all for your input, i think i just needed to hear some opinions. I am going to take the advice of going to the doctor and seeing what she thinks. I know the terrible 2s are coming, I was just praying it wouldnt happen for a while, and i just feel so helpless especially when he can't talk to tell me what exactly is wrong and I have to play a guessing game. Anyway thanks.
I really hate to break this to you - the terrible two's are actually the terrible 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s ..... I learned that out the hard way LOL

Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM

3,733 posts, read 12,354,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
I really hate to break this to you - the terrible two's are actually the terrible 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s ..... I learned that out the hard way LOL
Just wait until the teen years set in!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 AM

371 posts, read 1,255,847 times
I think it's perfectly normal...so he's not the 'average' as far as tantrums. Ask most parents with multiple kids and you'll hear how one was so easy and calm, the other a handful. My daughter (3y) is waaaay different than my son ( 18mos). He has had a more intense personality since he was born and everything is harder ( except for eating! ). And remember, your child is still a baby- this is how they express their frustation. He only understands "no, you can't go there", certainly doesn't get "oh, I see that's a basket ball game and me running on the court interupts the game- ok." That's what he'll gain as he grows...the ability to talk and reason, etc. It's just not quite yet. My greatest defense with my tantrum prone son is distraction- move him to something else. I'm amazed at how long he can go in an angry funk sometimes..but eventually he's either back playing or we go home ( where 95% the time he goes to sleep anyway ). I say hang in there for this normal, but trying part of toddlerhood

Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,245,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Just wait until the teen years set in!

Boy do I hear you. I think the terrible twos were a piece of cake compared to the teen years.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,913,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbzy13 View Post
i just feel so helpless especially when he can't talk to tell me what exactly is wrong and I have to play a guessing game. .
I think that right there is the problem.

Get down eye level to him, with full respect to him, and communicate. Help him communicate. When you do figure out what it is he is trying to say, demonstrate the proper way to communicate it. Give him an alternative to screaming. If you can do this *before* he screams, it won't reward the screaming and will give him methods that actually work.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:43 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,015,546 times
I think keeping a journal of the tantrums and talking to your pediatrician is an excellent approach.

I'm curious about your child's verbal skills. At 18-24 months, most kids are just learning how to talk. Could your child's tantrums be frustration over not being able to communicate effectively?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM

138 posts, read 508,470 times
As a mother of 3 I have found that the terrible 2's begins at 18 months. And a big part of this new crazy behavior is the inability to communicate the new need and desire to be independent .There have been some great points made here about that frustration and the need for easier transitioning for some children. Some children cannot handle transitions at all and others need planty of warning. It can be very overwhelming to know that your world is constantly changing all by someones else's directions.
I think a good Peds MD will give you a referral to child behavior/psych personnel,especially with the record keeping of a journal to back up what you are saying.Good luck. As with the others I say listen to your mother sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting