Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:17 PM

24 posts, read 41,523 times

Advertisements

I was 18 when my little cousin 8 cussed at me b/c he thought it was cool to do so. M initial reaction was to spank him, so I did. He cried and his mom went crazy about me spanking her child. My grandpa kicked me out of the house after all the commotion.... Never EVER again will I touch another person's baby. I realize that almost all parents are very protective of their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,218,546 times
I didn't read the entire thread but I can honestly say that NO ONE would EVER be allowed to lay a hand on my kid!

I do however believe that all of us (mankind) have the responsibility of adding to the development of ALL children.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone disciplining my child in a mild way. Family are always welcome to time outs and "we don't do this because" sort of thing.

Those that know our family well would most likely know the way we discipline and would probably follow the same methods.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
the issue is simply no one is doing it, ever. crackup we send the dog to obediance school and ignore the kid.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,911,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
When we're not around, I expect family members, teachers, and other parents to discipline my children. When we are present, I would hope that we would be on top of things well enough that it wouldn't be an issue, but if we are oblivious, I expect them to raise the issue with us and allow us to do what is necessary.
This..

Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,222,225 times
You know kids are always much better behaved at someone elses home.

So not only would other people be less likely to actually have to discipline your kids. We should all swap kids every few days. That way they will always be well behaved.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:56 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,631,990 times
Of course. Anyone is welcome to discipline my child, provided it is being done with positive intent by a conscientious person. My children are quite tolerant of discipline, it is something they have learned to endure. If it comes from somebody else, they can take it. They will need to grow up understanding that different people have different standards of comportment, and it is not a bad idea to be flexible around them.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,004,034 times
I like telling the kids (any) to pull up their pants. Does that count?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,206,954 times
Yeah, I do the punishing here. It's my job.

It is one thing to give direction. It is another ball game for all other matters.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,482,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
My husband and I were talking the other day and he was saying how he had no problem if someone else disciplines our child if we are not around. I don't mind someone correcting him (saying you can't do this because it hurts me , or whatever) but I would take offense to "disciplining" - eg. a time out or a spanking?!? that other people may give my child. This includes grand parents and uncles and aunts for me.

What is everyone else's take on this?
That the words can mean the same thing in different context & situation. Depends on how a person defines the words.
I have NO problem with friends & family discipling/correcting my children. None at all. If anything, when they do it, the point is loud & clear to my children.
If for some reason I feel that the corrective action was completely uncalled for or unmerited, I would just talk to the friend or family member. But, I don't see that happening b/c the people I personally associate with and leave my children with or have my children interact with...we have a united front.

I am not going to leave my children with my parents or brothers and expect them to watch them & care for them yet get in a tissy if they discipline/correct them. Not fair to my friends or relatives.

My children 99.9% of the time are beyond amazingly good when they are with friends/relatives. I've seen the other .1% or I have heard about it...and I stand behind the discipline/corrective action that was taken by the adult.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 AM

467 posts, read 980,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
My husband and I were talking the other day and he was saying how he had no problem if someone else disciplines our child if we are not around. I don't mind someone correcting him (saying you can't do this because it hurts me , or whatever) but I would take offense to "disciplining" - eg. a time out or a spanking?!? that other people may give my child. This includes grand parents and uncles and aunts for me.

What is everyone else's take on this?

My take is that if you've assigned that person as the caretaker for the time you're gone then you've given some limited and temporary parental rights to them, as such discipline would be expected or else why bother having a babysitter at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting