Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,849,004 times

Advertisements

After reading a couple of responses in the bedtime for a teen post it got me thinking about a theory I have.

I am not a morning person, I don't function well before 11:00a.m. and I was born in the mid afternoon around 3:00 p.m. I function better in the early evening to midnight. So I'm thinking that the time you are born kinda sets the tone of whether you are an early riser or a late riser and when you are functioning your best.

Here are further examples of what has given me this idea.

My oldest was born around 9:00 a.m. she can get up and get going better in the morning than myself, she tends to fizzle out by mid evening.

My second oldest was born around 5:00p.m. and isn't much of a morning person either and would much rather sleep in until noon if possible, but he functions very well in the evenings and into the early mornings.

My third was born around 7:00 a.m. and she is an early riser and functions best early in the day.

My fourth was born around noon and she can go both ways but prefers to sleep in until 8:00 a.m. and she is at her best mid day.

My fifth was born around 10:00 a.m. and she is more of a morning person as well and fizzles out by early evening.

I don't know exactly what time my DH was born, but he very similar to my fourth child.

Has anyone else thought of this and compared when they were born to when they like to get up and are at their best during the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,716,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
After reading a couple of responses in the bedtime for a teen post it got me thinking about a theory I have.

I am not a morning person, I don't function well before 11:00a.m. and I was born in the mid afternoon around 3:00 p.m. I function better in the early evening to midnight. So I'm thinking that the time you are born kinda sets the tone of whether you are an early riser or a late riser and when you are functioning your best.

Here are further examples of what has given me this idea.

My oldest was born around 9:00 a.m. she can get up and get going better in the morning than myself, she tends to fizzle out by mid evening.

My second oldest was born around 5:00p.m. and isn't much of a morning person either and would much rather sleep in until noon if possible, but he functions very well in the evenings and into the early mornings.

My third was born around 7:00 a.m. and she is an early riser and functions best early in the day.

My fourth was born around noon and she can go both ways but prefers to sleep in until 8:00 a.m. and she is at her best mid day.

My fifth was born around 10:00 a.m. and she is more of a morning person as well and fizzles out by early evening.

I don't know exactly what time my DH was born, but he very similar to my fourth child.

Has anyone else thought of this and compared when they were born to when they like to get up and are at their best during the day?
Interesting theory. I wonder if any studies have been done. I personally think that people adapt. Some better than others. Anyway, the life we lead is so unnatural, it's no wonder sleep patterns are so varied.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,121,832 times
No matter what schedule I've had, I have always been a night person. Even as a young child I was up in the middle of the night, looking for goodies, something to read, or watching totally inappropriate tv! My 11 year old son is exactly like this, and has NEVER been a good sleeper.

My teenage daughter has always been a great sleeper, from day 1! Since about 4th grade she has gotten herself up for school (used to get me up for work), and goes to bed on her own. She is a total morning person. After about 9pm she gets goofy and snotty because she is ready for bed.

They were born at 10 and 8 PM.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,122 times
Doesn't hold up in my house. haha

I was born at 7:30 AM and am very much a night person. I've never had to be at a job before 9:30 AM on a regular basis and that was always a good thing.

My oldest was born just before 1 PM and was always a fairly early riser and early to bed type of kid. Now, at 27, she doesn't need a lot of sleep to function well and ends up staying up late too these days.

My second was born just before 11 AM and she's more of a morning person and has always been, however she never wanted to go to bed until everyone else has gone to bed. At soon to be 23 now, she also has the long days and less sleep.

My third was born a little after 9 AM and she does wake up and get going very easily, however her energy is not at a full peak all that early. So she's closest to being a morning person than anyone else.

My son was born just after midnight and he wants to stay up late, but can't quite manage handling it very well. He's easy to wake up most mornings and enjoys that time of day. By evening he's definitely wearing down easily.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,005,785 times
Freaky theory, wyo! I LIKE it!

I don't know at what time I was born but I'm a card-carrying night owl. I do know what time my son was born, however. 11:11pm. And he's a card-carrying, bona-fide night-owl, too. Both of us would be more than pleased if the day started no earlier than noon.

One of our fondest memories was the first time he pulled an all-nighter. We did it together. Made snacks, played games and stayed up to watch the sunrise. He was about 8 and I can't tell you how happy he was! Of course, we both conked out right after .

We've pulled many an all-nighter since. Sometimes together, often apart. None has been sweeter than that first one.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM

758 posts, read 1,867,911 times
It doesn't work out here either.

I was born in the morning but I'm very much a night owl.

Dh was born around noon but he is a morning person. He'd be in big trouble if not, he gets up at 4am for work!

DD was born at 4:30 am she is a night owl she won't be up before 11am all summer.

DS was born at 11:30 am and is a very early morning person, he's up at 6am summer vac. or not.

DS was born at 10pm he is just like his older bro, early morn.

DS was born 11am he gets up around 8am and goes to bed around 8-8:30, but he's only 22mos.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM

458 posts, read 1,352,455 times
I was born at 12;00pm and I am more of a morning person, I am up very early and function well until evening.

Oldest daughter was born at 6:00pm and is a night person, has hard time waking up in the morning. she is 16

Youngest daughter was born at 1pm and can do both but prefers the morning to the night. She is up at 6am even on weekends. she is 13.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,849,004 times
I didn't know if my theory held water or not, but it is interesting to see when a person functions best and when they like to get up in comparrison to their time of birth. Maybe seasons or different months play a role as well. Maybe kids who were born when there is more daylight hours are more morning people and function better during the day as compared to those who were born when there is less daylight and are more of a night owl person. Or maybe it has something to do with the phases of the moon.

I mean when you think about it, planting and harvesting is often times better when you plant at certain moon phases or in certain months. The farmer's Almanac has all sorts of things that seem to do better when done during a certain time in a month or during certain moon phase. Like when is a good time to quit smoking, or potty train your kids, or start a diet. Take a look:
Astrological Timetable: The Best Days for Certain Activities - The Old Farmer's Almanac

Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 PM

22,341 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Doesn't work at all for our family...

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Well, let's see - I was born in the morning, spent my first 20 years as a "night person" - then adjusted to student teaching and working and eventually became a "morning person" - stayed that way for the next 20+ years. Now I am creeping back to being a "night person" (as far as staying awake goes)-although I still wake up naturally at 5ish, I don't really get moving until after 8... For many years I was at work by 6:30 or 7, now I'm still in my jammies then....

DD was born in the afternoon and she is a "night person" (so far) and DS was born at noon and he is more of a "morning person" - although fortunately, they are both good at adapting when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting