Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM

593 posts, read 2,433,269 times

Advertisements

In the Health News Digest they just mentioned that you can bring your kids to a Take Care Clinic (you know, those in-store ones in Walgreens) this summer and get a sports physical for $30--and that's w/o insurance!

I was curious if anyone has ever gotten a physical at Walgreen's before?

Last edited by DCguy03; 06-12-2009 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: forgot a title on there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,840,888 times
Since the schools here offer them for $20.00 I would guess they are ok, but certainly not comprehensive. The best $60.00 I ever spent for sports was to have heart scans done on my kids. A parent in the booster club set them up. Honestly, the sports physicals offered by schools (strictly for sports) do little more than take height, weight, temperature and blood pressure. If you have reason to be concerned about your child's condition, see your own doctor.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,820,832 times
If your child has a regular doctor all you can probably get the regular doctor to fill out the form for you. Get the form from the school. Drop it off at the peditrician's office and pick it up at a later date (usually a day or 2 later).

In my state you do not need a separate physical for sports, you just need a physical within the last 12 months plus the FHSAA form (Florida High School Athletic Association). I dropped the form off on Monday, had it back on Tuesday, no extra charge.

If you don't have a regular doctor, it's probably fine, but not comprehensive.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,108,358 times
Our kids have done something similar and like others have said they are not all that comprehensive but are fine if you don't have any concerns. I have a friend who's son's heart problem was detected on one of these types of physicals though so they aren't worthless either.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
I'd be fine with it for my kids, but like has been pointed out, if you have some concerns, then take your child into a doctor and get specialized tests.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:19 PM

412 posts, read 936,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Since the schools here offer them for $20.00 I would guess they are ok, but certainly not comprehensive. The best $60.00 I ever spent for sports was to have heart scans done on my kids. A parent in the booster club set them up. Honestly, the sports physicals offered by schools (strictly for sports) do little more than take height, weight, temperature and blood pressure. If you have reason to be concerned about your child's condition, see your own doctor.

I'm curious - what kind of heart scans were done? When I was a kid (a long time ago), my physical was just the normal stuff - height, weight, blood pressure, etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:48 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,840,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I'm curious - what kind of heart scans were done? When I was a kid (a long time ago), my physical was just the normal stuff - height, weight, blood pressure, etc.
The student athletes were offered the chance to have electro-cardiograms done at a substantially reduced price. We were told that they could determine irregularities that could cause sudden cardiac arrest during sports. Many schools in the south are now offering them.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,055,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
In the Health News Digest they just mentioned that you can bring your kids to a Take Care Clinic (you know, those in-store ones in Walgreens) this summer and get a sports physical for $30--and that's w/o insurance!

I was curious if anyone has ever gotten a physical at Walgreen's before?
we did one for our kids at walmart because we waited till the last minute and the doctor requested 3-5 days for the paperwork. wasn't much of a physical; weight, height, looked in their ears, mouth and eyes and that was about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting