Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this child abuse?
I am a smoker.....yes this is child abuse 6 19.35%
I am not a smoker.....yes this is child abuse 25 80.65%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,643,173 times

Advertisements

I don't think I am going to jump on the abuse/not abuse bandwagon! I don't think it is right to smoke in your car with your kids and windows rolled up, as I also don't think it is right to smoke when you are pregnant. I know someone that does both of these - and it drives me crazy to see her pregnant and smoking. And, naturally, her babies all have no problems, so she sees no reason to do anything different.

I grew up in a time when more people smoked than not, and I remember going on trips with my parents and being closed up in a cloud of smoke, with no seat belt on (usually laying in the rear window)! I lived through it - but certainly do not recommend it! Times have changed, I believe for the better in that aspect. If you have to smoke, do it somewhere that your kids can escape it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,029,040 times
Abuse...no.
Blatant stupidity and selfishness, yes.
I sit on my patio and smell stinky smoke and have to go inside. I suppose my chain smoking neighbors have 'more rights' than I do.

In the 70s we were packed in the car w/Dad smoking. Now it's 2009 and everyone KNOWS second hand smoke is bad for you.
*No studies necessary* to prove second hand smoke kills. (if you don't believe this, go back into denial).

Only a stupid ass of a parent would subject a child to their smoke.

Bottom line, if 'smoking rocks' and is safe, put a bubble on your head when you smoke so YOU CAN breathe it in fully!! Just keep the air clean for those of us who care about our bodies.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 AM

18,385 posts, read 31,494,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
My mother is a heavy smoker and smoked around me all the time as a was growing up. I can't stand cig smoke and we are not smokers. When we had our first child, all the smokers in our family were told if they want to see our baby, there will be no smoking around her. That was 14 years ago and set all the smokers in a fit but finally they learned that we won't bend on the subject...smoking in front of a child, child abuse? Don't know but it is definitely stupid!

Me and my sister were those children in the car with both parents smoking. I do not know if I would call it abuse, but it certainly isn't considerate. Imagine really smoking and knowing you are letting your children breathe it in. It just appals me that parents will do this. I am like the above poster, when my boys were born, both me and my wife told everyone that there will be absolutely no smoking in our home ever, and not around the boys, and no, my babies were not comming over to grandmas house if she was smoking. Sorry, I am the parent of my boys and I make the rules and NO, I do not have to justify myself.

Lucky now all the family members do not smoke, but they all have ailements, but I could almost, the key word is almost feel sorry for them. LOL,

Old 01-12-2010, 08:31 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,719,017 times
It is not child abuse, it may be questionable parenting but certainly not abuse. And this poll is stupid.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 AM

18,385 posts, read 31,494,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
It is not child abuse, it may be questionable parenting but certainly not abuse. And this poll is stupid.

Boy, do I wish you could read my mind right about now.

because you probably would not like it.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,719,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Boy, do I wish you could read my mind right about now.

because you probably would not like it.
Well you can either choose to speak your thoughts or you can keep posting pointless posts that add nothing to the thread whatsoever. Telepathy is not going to happen to me anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,441,898 times
I don't think it's abuse but it is an extrememly selfish and ignorant thing to do knowing what second hand smoke can do to a person (especially a child whose body is still growing and developing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting