Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,732,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom51 View Post
I need some help with how to handle a situation. We have lived in our neighborhood for about 5 years. They people across the street have a son the same age as ours. They play together almost every day and are at each others houses at least once a week. Every year this child has a Birthday party and has never invited my child. We have always invited him, and he has always come. The boy invites the 3 other boys in the neighborhood that are the same age, but never my son. What gives? My child is very hurt by this and doesn't understand. Has anyone else had this problem??? please give me some advice. Thank you
How old are the boys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM

711 posts, read 1,507,282 times
some parents are just goofy.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,914,372 times
Ask'em. Maybe they just haven't thought about it.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 14,077 times
Thank you for the replies, the boys are 11

Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,307,754 times
We stopped having big parties. We were doing no friends, just family but even then we have 11 plus our three makes 14 kids. (Then if you want to throw in my friends kids you've got over 50 kids. so that is the reason we limitied it to family to start with. I can't imagine having the kids in school.) Then we had family wanting to prove something to us cause our daughter did not like certain things. They thought she was missing out on what ALL girls do so they would give her things that she would cry about cause she thought they hated her. That is when the end came. Done. No more.

Our kids, when asked to choose, would rather go some place fun, like a dinosaur museum or someplace like that than have friends over cause they can see them anytime. They say that when there are too many kids over, it is hard to play with any of them and it is too crowded or if we were to go someplace to have it, like the water park, or Chucky Cheese, it would just be way too much and our kids don't like doing stuff like that with a ton of kids anyway.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,222,225 times
We do the birthdays on their birthday whenever possible.
We invite every kid in their class and in their soccer team etc etc etc.
We hold it in a local park.
On the invitations, we tell the parents that I (husband) will supervise a group of kids walking from the school to the park so when the parents/kids respond to say that they are coming, we ask if their kid will be in the group that walks straight from the school.
Then at the school, I do a roll call to make sure I have all the kids who are walking and we then start to walk off to the park. Usually get about 15 kids this way and another 10-20 come by car - some from other schools.

At the park, we have afternoon tea which is fruit and a bit of party junk food.
Then we play games that involve all the kids.
Pass the pacel,
Scavenger hunt - Either pre layout before the kids arrive or When some of the teenage siblings or other parents arrive, While you are playing other games, get them to distribute wrapped sweets around the place. Then give each kid a paper bag and tell them to go find the sweets. Older kids have to be paired with the real littlies.

Some running races. Obstical course challenge, Ball games like tunnel ball.

One time we did face painting. One mom was the guru and she taught some of the high school siblings who turned up how to do it and all the littlies lined up and had their faces painted. Butter flys, spider man, fairy etc. Obviously a 4y.o. party . Using the teens and other moms keeps them out of trouble and makes the face painting happen quickly. Need to limit the choice of design and keep the designs simple.

With 10y.o. and above, get in pairs, stand a meter apart, one egg per pair. Toss the egg to the other person. If they catch it, then each person takes a step back & toss again. It is handy to have a couple of young adults to show how well this game can work. As kids may just end up throwing the eggs at each other.

Then we will get in a circle, sing happy birthday, cut the cake.

The kids then go and play on whatever playground equipment is in the park. Loaded with sugar and ready to go home and reek havock

Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,910,762 times
I thought my kids had been to some extravagant parties before, but a couple weeks ago beat all.

We are new to the area... just moved to the state a few months ago. All of the neighborhood children for 2 streets in either direction are boys (over the age of 4), except for my daughter(7) and two others(8 & 9). My daughter has played with the 8 year old twice and the nine year old twice.

One day recently, the 9 year old and her father came to the door and said that one of the girl's party guests was sick and couldn't come to a party... could my daughter come in her place. We said fine, thinking "no big deal, party next door for a couple hours".

Nope. About a 1/2 hour later, my husband went over to bring the jacket she'd forgotten. Grandpa was at the house and apologized for the misunderstanding.

The girls took a Limo to a mall two towns over. Rock 'N Roll kind of store that caters to the pre-teen crowd. A real "glamour" party. My daughter came back with a "goodie bag" that was filled with about $50 worth of stuff and dressed and primped like a prostitute.

The parents of this little girl live with THEIR parents - claim to be "victims" of the economy... same bs you hear all over - "We're broke, Bush's fault, we can't afford to pay our mortgage, yadayadayada..."

They stopped by yesterday to see if their 10 year old's cell phone (yes, HER cell phone) accidentally got left in with my daughter's goodie bag.

... wow. Extreme, wasteful and horrible parenting.

"No Sally, we have to live with Grandma because of the evil conservatives, but we can afford to blow $1000 on your 10th birthday for you and 3 girls you won't even remember 10 years from now"

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM

213 posts, read 670,415 times
Default birthday parties

My daughter turned 7 today. But for her birthday we celebrated it on Thursday at her school since they are out of school today. I stayed with the disney princess theme, bought her the disney princess castle cake, and for the class gummy princess characters, chips and punch. I also made goody bags for the kids there were about 26 in her class including her teachers, the aids and her therapists. It was nice, convient and i didn't have to worry about invitations or no one showing up. To stay with the princess theme Im taking her and a friend to see disney princesses on ice at the civic center in atlanta. Overall she enjoyed it and then her grandad and uncle had something seperate for her so she had a good 7th birthday.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 AM

895 posts, read 4,239,023 times
First of all, the Birthday Fairy visits all my children for their birthday. They leave the fairy a note telling her what kind of birthday "theme" they want and when they wake up, the house is decorated and the fairy leaves them a few small gifts (like a plastic cup or a movie or a t-shirt).

We do a "big" birthday party every other year. With four children--a party every year is expensive! Last year, my oldest had a high school musical dance party, my 6 yo had a build-a-bear party and my 3 yo had a party at MyGym--luckily my youngest didn't notice that she didn't get a party.

On the off year, they get to do anything they choose for the day with my husband and I [b]alone[/B(in a big family-alone time with mom and dad is a big deal!)]. My 6 year old got a manicure and pedicure and went to Sea World on her special day. My oldest turned eight on Saturday and she got a special breakfast and the Birthday Fairy had decorated the house and brought her the new Hannah Montana movie so after breakfast we watched that as a family. She originally wanted to go to Legoland but couldn't due to gymnastics practice so after practice we surprised her by taking her and and a teammate to paint ceramics and then we went out to dinner as a family with four of her friends. Even though it wasn't a big party year, it was exhausting!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
I took 16 of my daughters friends karting to our local track in Beccles, Norfolk, it was the best childrens party ever, i will definately do it again, didnt have to look after then cos they were so engrosed in the driving of the karts......fantastic.

Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting