Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,918,386 times

Advertisements

My kids bus their place at the table, help pick up the common rooms, and the six-year-old cleans the kids bathroom sink weekly.

I want to Montessori-ize their rooms so they can pick those up easier, but that's a project with a capital P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,714,830 times
When I was a kid my mother always had chores for us to do.
Laundry, load and unload dishwasher and drainboard, sweep/dust/vacuum, clean rooms, clean bathrooms, mow and weed-whack the lawns, garbage and recyclables, ect. Sometimes she'd even make us help her out in her gardens.

These weren't just summer chores and we never got paid/allowance for it.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,718,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
When I was a kid my mother always had chores for us to do.
Laundry, load and unload dishwasher and drainboard, sweep/dust/vacuum, clean rooms, clean bathrooms, mow and weed-whack the lawns, garbage and recyclables, ect. Sometimes she'd even make us help her out in her gardens.

These weren't just summer chores and we never got paid/allowance for it.

My kids do chores year 'round but since it is summer and no homework and we are home all day, there can be additions added to the list, that's why I'm "re-vamping".....and mine don't get paid allowance either for chores either.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone

Old 06-20-2009, 12:34 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,574,091 times
chores year round

load/unload dishwasher
wipe counters and table
trash
clean their bathroom
vacuum their bedrooms
sort clothes
fold their clothes
pull out sprinkler and water lawn
feed dog
walk dog
wash car (summer chore-when they're here)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 AM

78 posts, read 227,338 times
Check out Socially Conscious Money Management for Kids. They have over 150 chore and project ideas for kids. You can load them in a calendar, print it out each month and post it on the fridge. It might be helpful.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,851,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Ages 5 and 7:

pick up pine cones
water garden
set table for dinner and clear table
keep rooms fairly clean
vacuum playroom
windex windows

picking up the pine cones is what provides them with ice cream truck money. They receive one cent per pine cone.
Too funny! I was a kid in the 70's and we were paid one cent per pine cone back then! The wages for pine cone picking up sure haven't met up with inflation! LOL! Great chore for little ones.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,811 times
It is easy to make a list of simple jobs for them to do, but making them really do it is very very tricky. All those lessons in psychology was of no use when the rewards were singing praises and the bear-hugs. NOPE!! But there was one thing that really worked. This website called kidrewardzone.com. It was only rewards, the punishment being retention of the rewards. then there were bonuses. my kids learnt the value of money along with their responsibilities. It was now their hard earned money which was put to use for all those extra things that they needed. And we were the best of pals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting