Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times

Advertisements

Tiger Bear updated thethread 12-24-10. Looks like they're only thinking of names. Here I was thinking they were down to the wire and asking total strangers for our usual outstanding advice! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,646,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For a daughter, how does 'Xia' sound?

I'm white, wife is Asian (not Chinese).

We both like the name quite a bit. Xia means 'glow of sunrise' in Mandarin Chinese.

However, I know the U.S. is becoming more and more multicultural with many different names. But wondering if 'Xia' is a bit too difficult for English speakers with how to pronounce it, etc.

Other than that, we both like the name quite a bit.

Still, I'm a bit curious to hear other's opinions on it.
Kids will call her Chia, and sing the ch-ch-ch-chiapet song at her.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
My daughter is Xia , we picked it without regard for Chinese to celebrate the X chromosome . We pronounce it Zia . Since her birth I have been working with CJK characters and found that it was translated in modern Chinese as summer. A fortuitous choice for someone born in August ;-)

Old 08-30-2014, 06:28 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,387,712 times
i guess it never occured to people to name their children a normal common pronouncable name

we all know that a your name will have an effect on your life

unless your a rich entertainer etc and your child will never have to worry about getting teased in school and one day getting a job you should probably be less liberal with the baby naming

i suspect that people who like to come up with all kinds of names never had to deal with things that come with *unique* names

btw, just my opinion (not directing judgement at anyone)

Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlykarraz View Post
My daughter is Xia , we picked it without regard for Chinese to celebrate the X chromosome . We pronounce it Zia . Since her birth I have been working with CJK characters and found that it was translated in modern Chinese as summer. A fortuitous choice for someone born in August ;-)
My daughter was also born in August, and she chose Xia for "summer" followed by the word for "wind" (I forget what it is right now) as her Chinese name when she went to school in Chengdu. (She has a degree in Mandarin.) Her real name is an uncommon but well-known name.

She's moving to Beijing next month, so I guess she'll be Xia again!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM

105 posts, read 110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Kids will call her Chia, and sing the ch-ch-ch-chiapet song at her.
Kids will call anybody anything lol.

I like xia. Congrats

Old 08-31-2014, 06:02 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,648,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For a daughter, how does 'Xia' sound?

I'm white, wife is Asian (not Chinese).

We both like the name quite a bit. Xia means 'glow of sunrise' in Mandarin Chinese.

However, I know the U.S. is becoming more and more multicultural with many different names. But wondering if 'Xia' is a bit too difficult for English speakers with how to pronounce it, etc.

Other than that, we both like the name quite a bit.

Still, I'm a bit curious to hear other's opinions on it.
My mixes have Western and Mandarin names separately. They can choose which to use as the situation warrants (kinda like extra middle names).

Xia will have most ppl assuming she's FOB, which could get annoying.

...or BOBA (Brought Over By Airplane)

Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i guess it never occured to people to name their children a normal common pronouncable name

we all know that a your name will have an effect on your life

unless your a rich entertainer etc and your child will never have to worry about getting teased in school and one day getting a job you should probably be less liberal with the baby naming

i suspect that people who like to come up with all kinds of names never had to deal with things that come with *unique* names

btw, just my opinion (not directing judgement at anyone)
I can assure you that there are a lot of rather unusual names "out there". People have to learn how to deal with them.

This thread is 5 years old. I'd guess the OP decided on a name by now. (I"m pretty sure he has a child.)

Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,648,722 times
Also, recommend against naming your child in a foreign language. "Xia" actually means sunset to any native speaker (despite what baby name websites say). I once saw a dude with a huge Mandarin tattoo on his chest that said "Waitress". LOL

Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Also, recommend against naming your child in a foreign language. "Xia" actually means sunset to any native speaker (despite what baby name websites say). I once saw a dude with a huge Mandarin tattoo on his chest that said "Waitress". LOL
"Xia" actually has multiple meanings, and different people would assume different meanings.

Foreign names are common where I live, but if you live somewhere where it isn't common I would advise against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting