Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Knowing that my child is the reason for it and it was not in bad humor I may have a good time with it also. Most people don't know who did the t-p-ing or the reason behind it so most are not going to be happy when it happens to them, and my first thought when it's done would not be "oh someone must have a crush on DD".
In my neck of the woods though, everyone pretty much knows who did it and why pretty quickly. I've never personally heard of it being done in a negative way but I'm sure it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM

283 posts, read 736,999 times
Waaaaaaaay back when I was a teen, we TP'd someone's house and they did try to turn us in to the police for it. They were told at that time that it was a juvenile prank and that their best recourse would be to tell our parents (if they knew who we were) and maybe they would make us clean it up. Rather than do that, they (parents and kids) decided to try to egg our cars the next weekend. Mature, huh?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,691,054 times
I suspect that you who think this is all good fun are missing the point...it's unwelcome vandalism, however benign, and straight-up trespassing. At this house, uninvited persons are subject to our disapproval.
For the parents who allow their children - or encourage them to participate - I have a suggestion. You can go to the property owner's home that next morning and take all that paper down and discard it FOR them. How's that?

Then and only then is it no big deal.

When I was a teen, those who got TP'd were disliked...it was not pitchin' woo.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:12 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,864,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I suspect that you who think this is all good fun are missing the point...it's unwelcome vandalism, however benign, and straight-up trespassing. At this house, uninvited persons are subject to our disapproval.
For the parents who allow their children - or encourage them to participate - I have a suggestion. You can go to the property owner's home that next morning and take all that paper down and discard it FOR them. How's that?

Well, in our area at least, you wouldn't have to worry. You probably wouldn't fall into the "popular crowd" that ends up being tp'd. I didn't clean up the mess after our house was targeted twice, I sent my kids out to do it. We weren't targeted because of me and my spouse, we were targeted because of our sons. Their mess, their cleanup!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,396,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post

As an adult I see it as mainly a waste of paper.

As a teenager, it was done both to me and by me. I helped clean it up at my house, I helped clean it up at friends and neighbors houses and I helped apply it to a boy's house that a friend had a crush on.

My mom drove the "getaway car" for us, as it was sort of out in the country. We also did the aforementioned "forking" of the lawn.

It isn't that big a deal. Make the kids clean it up.

Egging or paintballing is absolutely vandalism. Cutting christmas light cords is vandalism (that used to happen to us almost every year). Worry about that stuff, not a little paper returned to the trees whence it came.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:52 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,200,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What are your thoughts on the teenage prank of T-P-ing someone's house/yard? Having older teenagers, we have seen a variety of responses varying from "it's no big deal" to calling the police and filing a report. What say you?
No big deal. a good water hose will bring it down....

Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,200,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
note to self: do not TP 33458's house.....
33458 is a 10 roll house...

Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,691,054 times
Hear that CLICK-CLICK? That's me.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM

15,830 posts, read 21,340,569 times
I've called the police on TPers at my home.

The last time we were TPed, we got hate mail because I heard the kids come up, called the cops, and then took pictures in case they got away before the cops got there (they didn't). Hasn't happened since. That was the summer that we had already been hit twice. My brother and I are in college out of state and do not know people in our neighborhood anymore. In fact, even if it HAD been my brother's friends (since he still had high school friends at that point), my brother wasn't home for either the 2nd time we were TPed or the time I called the police. My parents pretty much stay to themselves and don't exactly incur the wrath of the neighborhood deviants. So basically, we were being TPed because a few bad parents allowed their children to go willy nilly at all hours of the night.

I can't believe there are so many parents on this forum who allow this to happen. I guess we all now know where this generation of rude, inconsiderate, selfish kids is coming from. It might seem like a little thing, but not everyone gets caught and it's absolutely infuriating to leave the other family to clean up the mess of an unknown assailant. Not to mention, it's a waste of paper and (in the cleanup) a waste of water. My town has only just come out of a 2 year drought- we don't need to be wasting water to hose paper out of the trees.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,090,252 times
I am a pretty old lady and TPing has been going on since before I was born. Especially around Homecoming time, team wins....or losses, etc. There never use to be a big deal made out of it...everyone more or less understood it was harmless kid stuff. But these last few years I've heard of folks making a huge deal out of it...calling the police, threatening, even one person calling it terrorist vandalism. My gosh folks. Get a grip. If this is the worst thing a kid ever does then that is a mighty good kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting