Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times

Advertisements

It would be clear as to when visitors are welcome and when at other times it would not be such a good idea.
Running amok in the dark at 2 am -doing crime- is not the same as approaching a house, decorated and well-lit on a common holiday, in the evening. Unless again there is toilet paper involved.

I am amazed at the level of misguided defense.

Like someone else mentioned...this is the parenting forum?

Last edited by 33458; 06-15-2009 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Am I dealing with the Everyone Gets A Medal Syndrome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
It would be clear as to when visitors are welcome and when at other times it would not be such a good idea.
Running amok in the dark at 2 am -doing crime- is not the same as approaching a house, decorated and well-lit on a common holiday, in the evening. Unless again there is toilet paper involved.

I am amazed at the level of misguided defense.

Like someone else mentioned...this is the parenting forum?
So, teenagers should be tried in a court of law for toilet papering a tree?

Are you purposely being absolutely ridiculous or does it just come naturally?

Yep, it's a parenting forum with parents who don't get all in a tissy over tping. And? They have their opinions too. Doesn't mean they are the spawn of satan parents b/c they let their 14yr old throw some toilet paper in the tree of a classmates house.

Heck, half the time the family is inside watching it going on with dad saying "You better be ready to wake up early & clean this up"...

I find playdough that gets in carpeting way more annoying than cleaning up toilet paper from a tree.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
So, teenagers should be tried in a court of law for toilet papering a tree?

Are you purposely being absolutely ridiculous or does it just come naturally?

Yep, it's a parenting forum with parents who don't get all in a tissy over tping. And? They have their opinions too. Doesn't mean they are the spawn of satan parents b/c they let their 14yr old throw some toilet paper in the tree of a classmates house.

Heck, half the time the family is inside watching it going on with dad saying "You better be ready to wake up early & clean this up"...

I find playdough that gets in carpeting way more annoying than cleaning up toilet paper from a tree.

The children should be held responsible for cleaning it up, which given the level of casualness I'm witnessing concerning the importance of 'violation', might have to involve the law instructing either child or parents of child. Now, if you know the folks and feel comfortable with strolling over there...

But in the world of "Not MY kid! Prove it!" (Or "Clean it up yourself, it's no big deal!") Good luck with that. I mean, really, let's get this clear...you think I should have to clean up the mess that your kids make, without my permission, in my yard? And LIKE it? Or would you be sending them over the next day?

I think also that you have in your mind a group of people who know each other and are ready players. When I was a teen, that was not the case. This was an act of vandalism - defacing of property or general pain in the ass, to cause some sort of discomfort (tee-hee) to the property owner. It might be directed, it might be luck of the draw.

I find your idea that I can't (shouldn't) be bothered by it ridiculous, so we're even.

Cheers.

Last edited by 33458; 06-15-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've called the police on TPers at my home.

The last time we were TPed, we got hate mail because I heard the kids come up, called the cops, and then took pictures in case they got away before the cops got there (they didn't). Hasn't happened since. That was the summer that we had already been hit twice. My brother and I are in college out of state and do not know people in our neighborhood anymore. In fact, even if it HAD been my brother's friends (since he still had high school friends at that point), my brother wasn't home for either the 2nd time we were TPed or the time I called the police. My parents pretty much stay to themselves and don't exactly incur the wrath of the neighborhood deviants. So basically, we were being TPed because a few bad parents allowed their children to go willy nilly at all hours of the night.

I can't believe there are so many parents on this forum who allow this to happen. I guess we all now know where this generation of rude, inconsiderate, selfish kids is coming from. It might seem like a little thing, but not everyone gets caught and it's absolutely infuriating to leave the other family to clean up the mess of an unknown assailant. Not to mention, it's a waste of paper and (in the cleanup) a waste of water. My town has only just come out of a 2 year drought- we don't need to be wasting water to hose paper out of the trees.
Well, since we were doing it....and having it done to us....back in the 1940s and 1950s, these "rude, inconsiderate, selfish kids" have been around a long time. And strangely enough we all grew up to be responsible, hard working adults who have raised wonderful children....who also t.p.d... and grew up to be responsible, hard working adults. And just as importantly we all grew up with a sense of humour AND a sense of proportion.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, since we were doing it....and having it done to us....back in the 1940s and 1950s, these "rude, inconsiderate, selfish kids" have been around a long time. And strangely enough we all grew up to be responsible, hard working adults who have raised wonderful children....who also t.p.d... and grew up to be responsible, hard working adults. And just as importantly we all grew up with a sense of humour AND a sense of proportion.
I guess the rude, inconsiderate, selfish kids turned into rude, inconsiderate, selfish adults if this thread is any indication.

How do you know it won't cause harm to the family? I have post traumatic stress disorder and the only reason I was at home when the kids TPed my house was because I was recovering. People tromping around my yard at 3AM gave me a full blown panic attack and set back my progress weeks. It's all fun and games until you move outside your dysfunctional worldview and actually hurt someone. I'd hate to think of how a bunch of kids running around my Iraq veteran friend's home in the wee hours would end- he has brain trauma, PTSD, and is probably armed. Good luck TPing his house.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
It's so strange to see what is considered normal in different parts of the country.

We only see a house T-P'd at Halloween. It is usually a corner house or it has a big tree that they like to use.

Not something done here by me, though the sports teams do "fork" the coaches lawns.

I wouldn't like it done to my house. What a mess to have to clean up.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
It's so strange to see what is considered normal in different parts of the country.

Which is why I asked.....it is interesting! I for one have never ever seen a house TP'd on Halloween!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
I guess the rude, inconsiderate, selfish kids turned into rude, inconsiderate, selfish adults if this thread is any indication.
So anyone who disagrees with you is rude, inconsiderate and selfish? Interestingly enough, DS and his friends are extremely polite and kind kids. They are kids who hold open doors for other's at the store, who take the time to speak with our elderly neighbors and go over to mend a garden hose or shovel snow. As I said, they only TP homes of families who would accept it in the good humor it was intended.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
No? Good point!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What are your thoughts on the teenage prank of T-P-ing someone's house/yard? Having older teenagers, we have seen a variety of responses varying from "it's no big deal" to calling the police and filing a report. What say you?
As long as no damage is done I think it's kind of funny.

And it is usually done to one of the more highly regarded students. Kind of a badge of honor. I got TP'd once and loved it. Better than being ignored.

Calling cops, unless there's malicious intentional damage, is kind of stupid.... get a grip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting