Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,691,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
HELLO!

Do you even READ the posts?

Most of have mentioned that it was done in the circle of friends; friends from school.

How many said they promote their child going out & purposely doing that to a complete stranger for kicks?

You are just being extreme to be extreme with little to no merit.

Case closed.
"Most", not all posters.

I read all of the posts, even the ones that aren't there any more...

The original question was "What do you think of TPing"...not "What do you think of pals that do this to each other?"

My answer and opinion stems from knowing that in my generation, in my community, it wasn't to recognize a friend, it was to cause disruption. Not a show of respect or healthy interest. It was to get a rise, to torment.
In addition, I find it wasteful and in poor taste. I have a few other descriptives I'll refrain from adding.

I answered accordingly.

That you insist your children and friends perform this ritual as an act of gleeful mischievousness is both puzzling and completely unlike what we would have experienced, but good for you. No harm, no foul. If that's all it is and is only between willing parties, hooray.

My strong response is directed toward the dismissal that this could be more than a slight inconvenience, and that many parents seem to take this view of such 'pranks' no matter who might be involved - or what. A disregard for anyone else or any social boundary. Ignorance can be just as effective as promotion.
I include those who do not post but only read, that I have endured, and those who would not admit to brushing it off as trivial "kids will be kids" activity without further investigation. I have met that kind of child and that kind of parent, even if the offense was aimless BBs, loud swearing or cigarette butts instead.

I have little tolerance for such an attitude when presented. If I seem extreme it is because you do not agree with me, visa versa.

Are we done now?

Last edited by 33458; 06-15-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,842,863 times
Quote:
" If I seem extreme it is because you do not agree with me
A lot of it has to do with the way one speaks actually... thier tone and how they interact with others.... how it is read by the other person... how we take it and view the post at that particular moment... there are posters on here who have disagreed and they have not been extreme, harsh, or confrontational.... HOWEVER there are posterS on here who do most DEF feel the need to take a BITE OUT OF CRIME so to speak weather to defend the good of the post or the battle itself.... there really is no sense getting all hot and bothered over such a discussion. Are our homes being TP'd right NOW? Did we find out we we all live and TP each other' s houses??? Seriously folks.... people need to relax a bit.... take a breather and just relax.....

Last edited by skbs; 06-16-2009 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,916,948 times
I am a firm believer in consequences. If someone were to TP my house, my reaction would probably vary.

If they came back to explain and clean it up the following morning, great. No harm, no foul.

If they didn't (which is most likely, this is TEENAGERS we are discussing) then I would present myself or dh at their front door, or parent's workplace and explain that I expected their kids to come clean it up.

If a parent refused, there would be retaliation. I would explain to my child (and all their friends) that the original family thought it was FUNNY and probably WANTED it to occur at their home. And would then drive them to Walmart, purchase $100 in TP and drive the kids over myself, possibly giving instructions. This would continue until the parents of the first child apologized or I got bored.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,200,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Well, let's look at it this way. Try, for just a minute. The OP asked what we thought of it. Clearly, we think differently.

To you, it's nothing. C'mon kids, come trash my yard and I'll spend an hour cleaning it up. Sure, do it again, too.
That's your thing and your property.

I don't care if this is something they do instead of something else. There is no validity to measuring the degree of offense.

But ME, no. This is my land, my trees, my house and my time. Not yours, nor your children. I, personally, do not desire anyone to feel so free (and uninvited - key to the argument) to come and go about my yard, for whatever reason. Only the genuine wildlife has such a privilege.

Do not set foot on a strangers lot, or even someone known but outside the circle, planning to redecorate and think that they have no reason to find it objectionable. You are on someone else's turf, literally. And should the owners react, they are justified.

Uh, yes. It IS TRESPASSING. Or must I post a sign first, semantics?
Trespass legal definition of Trespass. Trespass synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

=;O
So to you a kid selling the local newspaper door to door would be "TRESPASSING" to you I guess.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I am a firm believer in consequences. If someone were to TP my house, my reaction would probably vary.

If they came back to explain and clean it up the following morning, great. No harm, no foul.

If they didn't (which is most likely, this is TEENAGERS we are discussing) then I would present myself or dh at their front door, or parent's workplace and explain that I expected their kids to come clean it up.

If a parent refused, there would be retaliation. I would explain to my child (and all their friends) that the original family thought it was FUNNY and probably WANTED it to occur at their home. And would then drive them to Walmart, purchase $100 in TP and drive the kids over myself, possibly giving instructions. This would continue until the parents of the first child apologized or I got bored.
You would go to a parents WORKPLACE - and then RETALIATE? Over a few rolls of TP if someone had a crush on your son/daughter?

Wow. That's more ridiculous than the original prank plus it has the added "benefit" of humiliating your own child.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,593,410 times
I found this very interesting to read.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, this was a very common practice in my area with virtually no negative issues surrounding it. It was more a badge of honor and word spread quickly the next morning when it was discovered. Often many people drove by to marvel at what they considered the better 'works of art'. Occasionally it was an annoyance to a parent, however this was not done 'to' the parent but 'to' the child that lived there and pretty much everyone easily understood that. I never ever met or heard of a child who wasn't thrilled with it happening to them.

On the occasion that a parent took it personally and was annoyed by it, they insisted it be cleaned up immediately, instead of letting it stay the whole day for others to see and it was the kids expected to clean it up, with or without help from friends.

Also, at least around here, there was no reason for anyone to have been traumatized during the middle of the night because no one was even aware it had happened until they woke up in the morning. Kids never stepped foot on the property so they certainly weren't tromping around the house and yard. They typically were gone within 5 minutes, so it was a very quick trip.
Even when it was expected to be done, say with a team going to championship playoffs, someone always managed to pull it off without anyone knowing until they wake up.

So, with this as my background and understanding, there is no reason it would be any type of negative issue for me.

With all that being said, I understand that others do take issue with it since they don't have the same life experience with it. In a way I find it unfortunate and even sad that their life experience with it is so negative, as it brings fond memories to me and they don't have that.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 AM

You would go to a parents WORKPLACE - and then RETALIATE? Over a few rolls of TP if someone had a crush on your son/daughter?

Wow. That's more ridiculous than the original prank plus it has the added "benefit" of humiliating your own child.

Retaliation would only occur if the other parent was so irresponsible as to not agree that their child should come clean it up. If it's just a "harmless" prank, then why wouldn't they? Why would my child be humiliated by my insistence that someone should take responsibility for their own actions? Now THAT attitude is ridiculous!

As to going to a parent's workplace... probably would be unneccessary if more parents spent time at home, with their kids. But in my experience, more folks today prefer to work, then go do their own thing than be with their families. (They need "me" time) Just ask the half dozen or so kids in our neighborhood who are here everyday, wanting lunch because their parents forgot to leave something for them (we're talking under 10 crowd, not teens yet). I'd bet EVERYTHING those same parents don't "forget" to eat lunch themselves.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,693,368 times
I woke up on Saturday & Sunday mornings wishing someone would TP my house. It was a true sign of popularity!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

Retaliation would only occur if the other parent was so irresponsible as to not agree that their child should come clean it up. If it's just a "harmless" prank, then why wouldn't they? Why would my child be humiliated by my insistence that someone should take responsibility for their own actions? Now THAT attitude is ridiculous!

As to going to a parent's workplace... probably would be unneccessary if more parents spent time at home, with their kids. But in my experience, more folks today prefer to work, then go do their own thing than be with their families. (They need "me" time) Just ask the half dozen or so kids in our neighborhood who are here everyday, wanting lunch because their parents forgot to leave something for them (we're talking under 10 crowd, not teens yet). I'd bet EVERYTHING those same parents don't "forget" to eat lunch themselves.
You obviously have other issues. This was just a simple question about how people felt about the prank of TP-ing. It would have been simple to state you thought it was not funny, unnecessary and if you caught the kids they'd be cleaning up your yard. Fair enough. Plenty of other people have said that. You have taken it further and as a full grown ADULT discussed retalitation and potentially workplace harassment. How does that make you any better than the kids you are pointing your fingers at? Frankly, it would be more adult to call the police! If you made such a spectacle of yourself over such a relatively inconsequential thing, then trust me, your teenage kid would most likely be horrified and embarrassed.

If your neighbors are leaving their young kids home alone with no food please call CPS. No idea what that has to do with this topic though.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 AM

You are obviously a "cool parent". I'm not. I'm a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting