U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 AM

21,141 posts, read 22,112,687 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the teenage prank of T-P-ing someone's house/yard? Having older teenagers, we have seen a variety of responses varying from "it's no big deal" to calling the police and filing a report. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
I think it depends on the motive behind the TP'ing. If it's all in good fun, then I say call the perpetrators and tell them to get their behinds in gear cleaning it up. Haul out the trash bags and the hoses and make it fun.

If the intent was malicious and vandalism is involved, then by all means, call the authorities.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 AM

In my kids' crowd, it mostly signified a crush on someone - or something similar. My house has been on both ends. I personally don't mind it too much - DD or DS had to get out and clean it up pronto though. What I told DS recently when he was thinking about T-Ping was that my rules were:
1) it must always be done in a good-natured way. If I ever heard about it being done to make fun of someone or in another cruel manner then BIG TROUBLE would ensue.
2) If the recipient wanted them to clean up then they must comply.
3) No rain must be predicted.
4) If they get caught then they must suffer the consequences be it apologizing, cleaning up or dealing with the police.

Once all that is understood. I had no problem with it. Been known to cruise down to look at the results. They actually don't do it very often. The first time they did it was to the house of a classmate (girl) whose dad was Chief of Police! Never said DS and his friends were brilliant....we had fun teasing them about that forever though.

ETA - we did have a neighbor with a teenaged daughter who called the police regarding being TP'd. (not by my son - her DD is several years older). I often wondered if the police were rolling their eyes after they left the house.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
I guess I fall in the middle. I don't think TPing someone's house merits a call to the police. It is merely irritating and does no permanent damage. BUT-I do wonder why parents would condone and allow (and even encourage) their children to engage in acts of vandalism, even if mild.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Vandalism - "willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others"

Not seeing good-natured TP-ing as vandalism.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:11 PM

758 posts, read 1,595,094 times
I gotta say I was involved in some t-p-ing in my younger days, didn't think it was that big of deal. Now that I have had it happen to my house I think it is absolutely awful. It looks horrible, it took at least a week for it to all come down and as we take great pride in our yard and landscaping it was a major bummer.

So no I would not let my kids take part in it even if they knew the person and it was all in good fun and they offered to clean it up. Like I said if someone chucks it up high enough you can't get it all down in one cleaning and I know of no one who would like to spend some of their precious free time cleaning up the yard.

I don't know who did my yard and I probably wouldn't have done anything other than make them clean it up had I known because I figured it was Karma for my younger age deeds.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,242,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What are your thoughts on the teenage prank of T-P-ing someone's house/yard? Having older teenagers, we have seen a variety of responses varying from "it's no big deal" to calling the police and filing a report. What say you?
This topic was on a morning radio show in our area a few weeks ago. Some parent went nuts & brought a gun out & threatened to shot the kids...yeah, classy...

Anyway, like SO many topics on this site, a little common sense here & a little common sense there with parenting mixed with parental supervision & awareness can go a long way.

We did it as teenagers for birthdays. There was always a parent with us a few houses away. We were NOT allowed to do it in the rain or if it was going to rain. We were NEVER allowed eggs, either. 99.9% of the time, the house getting t-pd was aware it was going to be happening & a home where the parents were not going to get angry. I remember be so excited that our house got t-p'd...sort of like a rite of passage during those years.

It happens all around here during football season. And you see mom, dad & the teenager the next morning cleaning it up.

I see no harm in it if it is controlled & done reasonably.

People who need to get the police involved with t-p'ng...waste of taxpayer money. I'd much rather the police be monitoring the parks where the teenagers are getting high & having sex at 10pm.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,316,736 times
I hate it on my property, regardless of the reason. I don't like TP hanging from my big tree in front of the house, having it get all wet from overnight dew and stuck to the branches and nobody coming around later on to help clean it up....and I can't reach that far.

If someone came around later and cleaned it up, I'd feel differently about it.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,312,915 times
I live in NY in a very residential area and have never in my life seen a TP'd house. Is this done to a friend's house or do kids just choose one at random and go at it?

If it was done to an elderly person's home and it scared them or caused them to have to pay someone to clean it up that would be mean but I'm not sure why this is done.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,588,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I live in NY in a very residential area and have never in my life seen a TP'd house. Is this done to a friend's house or do kids just choose one at random and go at it?

If it was done to an elderly person's home and it scared them or caused them to have to pay someone to clean it up that would be mean but I'm not sure why this is done.
I live in NY in a very residential are and it is done here.... it is usually done as a prank for sure... to coaches or sports related a lot of the time believe it or not. All in good fun... but I would be annoyed. NEVER call the cops of course but I would not want it done to me.... It does not cause perm. damage to your property.... not like eggs or paint balls or anything like that.... so not a biggie.... If there was PERM. Damage I would get a report for home owners insurance claim. purposes only.... that would be the only reason but since it doesn't cause damage why would anyone call the cops... just to be a pain in the rump???? Scrooge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or