Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 AM

943 posts, read 3,152,045 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine teaches Kindergarten and First Grade and has been getting alot of flak from the parents when she attempts to teach kids social skills, manners and etiquette. The parents complain to the Principal and state: Manners and Social Skills should not be taught in school (School is for reading, writing and arithmetic!!!)

What do you think is the role of teachers and schools at the elementary level in teaching kids about things like socializing, sharing, manners, and general life skills? The teachers tell me that these are not being taught in the homes and so the school has to be brought in. The parents say that hard skills should be taught instead. It is something like the controversy over sex education.

What do you think as a parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 22,836 times
I would never complain about teachers attempting to teach kids social skills,manners, and etiqette. I just can't imagine complaining over something like that. It just sounds rediculous. What could it possibly hurt?

Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,841,188 times
I am sorry but I was a teacher in a rural school where kids were rude beyond belief. The children ALL had two parents working double shift or were from a single parent home and could give a dang and had manners that stunk! They needed to be taught how to behave in school to be fully functioning in society because their parents didn't have the time outside of work. Without caring teachers these kids would have been complete social delinquents. These parents that are heading to the principal sound like the same types of parents that raised the kid that spit in my coffee or the one who told me I had a PHAT (not fat) A$#! Lovely.....

Old 06-14-2009, 01:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
My son's private school taught social skills and manners every day. It was part of the curriculum.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:49 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,176,206 times
i think parents are not doing their job.
i think the schools feed and raise the kids.
i think this needs to stop.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,807,966 times
I agree that schools should not have to be responsible for teaching manner and social skills. That is the job of a parent. But I also know that many kids never get the chance to learn these things anywhere other than at school. School is where I learned a lot of the manners I have today. My parents couldn't have cared less, so I found the exposure I had to manners at school invaluable. And growing up in the south, manners and social skills were very important part of life.

I now live up north and I am appalled at the ill mannered teachers my kids are exposed to everyday. These teachers talk through tests, gab on the cell phone during class, tell kids to shut up, scream at people and dress inappropriately for their jobs. Thank goodness it isn't up to them to teach my kids those skills!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
The school environment is a perfect place to teach manners and social skills. You have different situations that are not created in the home. The kids also go to Cotillion (dining, dancing and etiquette) where they learn social skills and manners. Again, it's a different environment than the home. Not everything can be taught by the parents in the living room. You have to take your show on the road sometimes.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,782,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
the one who told me I had a PHAT (not fat) A$#! Lovely.....
Next time, tell him he's ugly, and you can diet. Can't fix ugly.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
A teacher should, absolutely, require certain standards of behavior in her classroom, even when those standards aren't expected at home, like politeness, consideration for others, respectfulness, self control, proper grammar, etc.
However, if you're talking about "tea and crumpets" party manners taking away from time which is needed to teach reading, writing, and arithmetic, then no, I don't think she should be wasting time on this.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Next time, tell him he's ugly, and you can diet. Can't fix ugly.
lol....PHAT is a GOOD thing...haha it was his way of giving me a compliment...either way TOTALLY UNCALLED for and inappropriate!!! Had him written up and had to talk to the principal to COVER my phat a$#!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting