U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,715,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Just curious - if they find it boring or stupid, they're not going to be listening to much that's going on, are they? I remember when I was young, I found it insipid and would fall asleep, daydream, sneak in a book or pen and paper, etc. So maybe it's not thoughtful to you but maybe it's how they can best express it? Of course, they're yours and you know them best.
We attend a suburban church with a congregation of about 100 on Sunday mornings.

The congregation has all ages from babies to very old

We try to make sure that there is something for everyone. This means that for part of the service, the kids have to sit still and quiet. For other parts of the service, the oldies have to put up with banging of drums, stubling reading or prayers and other child stuff.

I think we have a pretty reasonable community actually.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,397,978 times
Where did I go wrong? Why do I think that a religion is something one harbors in one's spirit and soul and heart, and not something one does in order to fit in?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,715,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where did I go wrong? Why do I think that a religion is something one harbors in one's spirit and soul and heart, and not something one does in order to fit in?
I would say it is both
It is in your heart or soul
to me there is also the community aspect to it.

I may not have interpreted your statement right though and if that is the case I apologise.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,874,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
We attend a suburban church with a congregation of about 100 on Sunday mornings.

The congregation has all ages from babies to very old

We try to make sure that there is something for everyone. This means that for part of the service, the kids have to sit still and quiet. For other parts of the service, the oldies have to put up with banging of drums, stubling reading or prayers and other child stuff.

I think we have a pretty reasonable community actually.
Similarly,
We have several different kinds of masses to attend... to accomodate everyone.... Our Sat 5pm is the casual mass.... quick and laid back... no fluff usually. 7:30 is FAST and no music- usually it is pretty empty and full of adults... (well not too full as it is so early) 9:00 is THE FAMILY MASS- full of kids, noise, the band plays at that one... Liturgy of the Word (kids leave and go do activities with a teacher:they get to color, hear bible stories, have a snack.... all about that day's readings but "FUN" and they come back for communion), 10:30 a less extreme version of 9:00- still Liturgy of the Word for the kids but a different kind of band plays- or we have a cantor instead depending...12:00 is like 5:00 mass.... ok... so you pick and choose what mass you want to go to. You know what they are like and you decide what suits you best! What suits your family best. We go to the 9:00 because our kids are 5 and 6 and they like it- it's lively and they dance in the pew (well more like bop) and go with their friends and color and listen to stories.... they love it actually. We have many opportunities to be involved... Youth Groups and such which MANY of the kids from school are involved in. It is a very popular group. Anyway... what I am getting at is that there are so many ways to to be involved and as Breeze said:

Quote:
breeze823No, I would not. They are children and not sure what they want in the long haul.

I will try my best to encourage them to attend these things with their friends until they are old enough to make the decision for themselves...at an adult age... but again.... I would be very sad if they did leave the Church.... but as I said previously, I feel it is my job to instill in them a deep rooted Faith System.... and Our Faith is the Catholic Faith...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,050,012 times
I am an athiest.

Don't get me wrong, I have been involved in religions before. My ex inlaws are Catholic's, but do not attend, and my ex husband is not religious but was wiling to go to a church to meet single women.

I think the only religion that I would say no-go to is the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Having said that, should my son say that he was beginning to have an interest in a religion, then it is my intention that he should read everything that he can about that religion. History etc. and I'll buy the books for him and then go talk to someone in that religion. We have a Muslim population (Shiite and Sunni) and a Hindu population (somewhere) and we are outside of Chicago at any rate. This means that these people can be found.

What I will not tolerate is the whole.......read the bible but only the New Testament. So, he will have to prove to me that he knows the history, the inconsistensies, and compare the differences in religions, and the facts of the case as well as the extreme fringe philosophy and if he can do that AND make that decision knowing that they are there, then so be it. That is going to take a bit.

He may not join any religion because a friend of his is going to a Youth camp. He may not go to a religious youth camp. He may not go because of a church function. He may also not come in my house and attempt to spread the word. Yes, 14 is old enough. Some kids are ready for abstract thinking and some are not. We will cross that bridge when we get there. No, he may not go to any religious high school.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,746,327 times
Quote:
In my neighborhood, I see plenty on families who go to church for show. They want to be seen going to the popular/wealthy churches & fit in with the crowd. Then I see these same Mom's happily joining in on mean spirited gossip or having huge children's bday parties & purposly excluding kids who aren't popular.

Sorry my post got a bit off topic, but I see this so much & needed to get it out!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM

10,103 posts, read 11,336,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
In my neighborhood, I see plenty on families who go to church for show. They want to be seen going to the popular/wealthy churches & fit in with the crowd. Then I see these same Mom's happily joining in on mean spirited gossip or having huge children's bday parties & purposly excluding kids who aren't popular.

Sorry my post got a bit off topic, but I see this so much & needed to get it out!
What does having large birthday parties have to do with going to church?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,874,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

Are you sure they are just going for show? Or perhaps that is their true affiliation and that is where they attend? It sounds like harsh accusations... they may just have personal issues which they need to deal with themselves.... their own relationship with Christ or whomever it may be.... don't mean to jump to conclusions (you said CHURCH)... sounds like they just are having a personal coflict... but I as Momma Bear said... I do not see what this has to do with children converting to another religion... sounds like you have personal issues with these woman and feel left out?

Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Status: "Randall Flagg:Obama's Ebola Czar" (set 18 days ago)

4,835 posts, read 5,185,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I will listen to thoughtful discussions about religion and allow our kids to try different things. Whining that church is boring or stupid is not thoughtful discussion and will probably be ignored.
What I am talking about is a kid saying, honestly, that the religion they were raised in is not fulfilling their spiritual needs and that they are not really against your religion, just for the one they want to convert to.

There is a big difference between a kid saying "church is dumb!" and a kid saying "Zen Buddhism is wondeful."

Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Status: "Randall Flagg:Obama's Ebola Czar" (set 18 days ago)

4,835 posts, read 5,185,483 times
Quote:
So, what are you saying? If one converts to a religion not of his/her parents, then isn't that the antithesis of "doing it in order to fit in"?

I mean, if a kid says his soul is better served by practicing Wicca or Gnostic Christianity, then really, isn't he serving his soul?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting