Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
How can a minor really make an informed decision about what religion they are? Thats like asking them to choose a political party.

All I thought about at 9 was Star Wars and comic books. I coulda cared less about religion and only went because my parents made us.
The thing is that the decision to follow a religion is not a permanent decision. Just as a child can change to a religion, they can also change from that religion if it no longer serves their purpose.

Assuming my child was joining a religion and not a cult, all that would matter is that HE felt it was right for him at the time. A choice of a religion is not permanent.

BTW-we are Jewish and all of us have been to church for weddings, baptisms, etc. I don't see anything wrong with attending religious services of another denomination. It is always interesting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM

283 posts, read 738,449 times
My husband and I are not "religious" but we do believe in God, a higher power, Creator... whatever you want to call it. We decided to expose our children to many religions (through our friends and information) and let them decide what they felt "fit". Right now, our oldest daughter is like us, our nine year old son is going to a non-denom church, and the two toddlers are not yet interested.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Of course I would let them. I'm atheist. My son (14) chooses to believe in xtianity. My 9 year old daughter isn't really sure she believes and I'm letting her make her own choice. I'll do the same for my youngest when she gets there. I don't have any right to make that choice for them.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Addendum: I draw the line at warfare and ritual sacrifices...
And further, I don't give a d*mn if its against your religion - You're still shaving and you're still eating whatever we serve. Also, I'm a simple JackBaptist so I don't really care that much. My wife's family is Catholic. Best of luck to you pulling that past THEM.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I will listen to thoughtful discussions about religion and allow our kids to try different things. Whining that church is boring or stupid is not thoughtful discussion and will probably be ignored.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I didn't watch the videos, but, I think a person's religion is more so what they believe in their hearts, than what church they attend. If a child believes something, you can't change that. If my teen came to me and wanted to convert, unless it was something cultish, I would probably urge him to wait a few years and think about it some more, but, no I don't think I would forbid it.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
No, I would not. They are children and not sure what they want in the long haul. Now I wouldn't be against them learning about other religions, but would be against converting at such a young age.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm not religious in any way but my daughter got caught up in a youth group at a local christian mega church when she was 14 and went into it whole hog, got baptised and everything. Later on she decided it was all a bunch of garbage and ditched the whole thing, as did most of the other kids who "converted" at this particular church. I didn't say anything to her either way but was glad she realized they were being "sold" faith through fun outings and activities. My son has never shown an interest although he did attend a few church services (not the same mega church as my daughter) with a girl he had a crush on.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I will listen to thoughtful discussions about religion and allow our kids to try different things. Whining that church is boring or stupid is not thoughtful discussion and will probably be ignored.
Just curious - if they find it boring or stupid, they're not going to be listening to much that's going on, are they? I remember when I was young, I found it insipid and would fall asleep, daydream, sneak in a book or pen and paper, etc. So maybe it's not thoughtful to you but maybe it's how they can best express it? Of course, they're yours and you know them best.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I just brought up the athiesm question because it seems to push the question a little further. For example, my mom wouldn't have cared if we chose a totally different religion, but would be very, very, very concerned if we became athiests.

I for one also believe you can't push someone's thinking to be the same as yours.

It is also interesting to hear some other athiests' viewpoints. I have a friend who is one, who also has a little girl. But he is vehemently an athiest, so I have had the feeling that he isn't as open minded about a religion change as Scarmig and Djacques.
I am also hardcore...but I do not instruct my daughter that "there is no God" or "Those people are wrong..." I don't wear my issue on me like I did when I was younger and keep any more recent angst between my husband and I, expressed after 9 pm.

I have explained that people have different belief systems...that I do not worship any deities, do not believe in any Gods, do not agree with...but that others do. And I explained as best I can what it is that people think a God is responsible for, what he or she does...has done. Basic Heaven/Hell 101. (No prophets yet, she's 5...there's only so much...)

My parents pray at the table before every meal and she has watched me silently wait for them to finish. I have taught her the same. Respect. No drama.

She knows what a church is, but not really...she will as she ages and I will allow her the exposure to all...but I think it best for her to decide one way or the other when she's reached the age of maturity, truly able to reason - and I think that varies with each child.

It is her choice, when the time comes.

I was raised as a Christian and full-bore...the whole deal, 3 times a week...every event, choir and class. I rejected the notion when I was 14, quit church, the practice of and had fully realized my disbelief by my early twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting