Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,142,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they wanted privacy, they wouldn't have some silly "reality show".

I don't think the spanking is a sign she's a bad parent, I think the way she is trying to make herself into some kind of celebrity and exploiting her children to do so is what makes her a terrible parent.
Amen Sister! Also, she is using her 15 minutes of fame to write books. I used to watch the show all of the time but have stopped because Kate (and Jon too) have started to believe their own publicity and anyone who has watched the show for more than a few episodes know that neither one of them are role model parents. They certainly don't need to be looked upon as parents who have their act together. It's only gotten worse as the money and freebies have started flowing in.

While I don't believe in spanking, Kate being caught on camera spanking is only coming back to bite her because she has started to try and live this persona on-camera that she is supermom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Amen Sister! Also, she is using her 15 minutes of fame to write books. I used to watch the show all of the time but have stopped because Kate (and Jon too) have started to believe their own publicity and anyone who has watched the show for more than a few episodes know that neither one of them are role model parents. They certainly don't need to be looked upon as parents who have their act together. It's only gotten worse as the money and freebies have started flowing in.

While I don't believe in spanking, Kate being caught on camera spanking is only coming back to bite her because she has started to try and live this persona on-camera that she is supermom.
There is some "big announcement" they are making on Monday's show. I stopped watching the show quite some time ago after basically the above. If indeed it is divorce or separation, I find it truly sad that TLC is promoting it as something to "watch". They gave in a long time ago...then again when you put money & your children before your spouse, it's bound to happen. To publicly watch a marriage fall apart...why do any of us need to "see" something like this?

Old 06-18-2009, 03:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,429,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I saw the hand up but never saw her strike the child. But then again I don't see the harm in spanking.

The police officer was there on another matter. It seems the tourist and or gossip mongrels was blocking the street and normal traffic couldn't get by.

I don't know what's worse...her and Jon inviting this nonsense or the people who watch it and drool over any kind of bad press.
And no I don't watch this show or any like it. It's just been all over the news.

The latter group is currently at the top of my list of 'What is Wrong With the World'.

At this point all I can say about Jon and Kate is that they were naieve people and not so different from those that criticize them.

'There but for the Grace of God'.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,142,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
There is some "big announcement" they are making on Monday's show. I stopped watching the show quite some time ago after basically the above. If indeed it is divorce or separation, I find it truly sad that TLC is promoting it as something to "watch". They gave in a long time ago...then again when you put money & your children before your spouse, it's bound to happen. To publicly watch a marriage fall apart...why do any of us need to "see" something like this?
What's sad to me is that this didn't need to happen. I watched this show from the beginning and only stopped last season. Now, they're famous. They've got personal shoppers, PR people, bodyguards, and are always VIPs to events. They used to enjoy spending time riding their bikes in the driveway, going to their local theme park, spending time with their relatives. Money has totally changed them into people that have nothing in common and the only people who are going to suffer are the children, yet TLC continues to make the show, promote Kate as supermom, and enjoy the scandal because it brings more viewers to the show. I find that disgusting.

We in America have totally lost focus on what makes people a star. J&K have no particular talent. Camera crews follow them around. I would like to get back to famous people becoming famous because they know how to act, sing, dance, write, heck even decorate (a la Martha Stewart). Making sex tapes, raising 8 kids, eating Madagascar hissing cockroaches, etc should not make you famous. And if you chose to open your lives to TV cameras for money, then you don't get to complain when the cameras catch you at a not-so-great moment. You are not allowed privacy when you are making money by allowing cameras to film you in your home all day.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM

275 posts, read 706,354 times
Oh no! A parent disciplining her child! CALL OPRAH AND DR. PHIL!

Come on now, give the lady a break... she is still a mom, even with the fame and crap surrounding her.

I feel bad for the kids. They are just innocent bystanders. All this press.. how will this affect them as they grow older? She seems to love her kids, they both do, it's just easy to get lost in the glitz of it all. $$ can make you do lots of things.

I just pray she keeps her kids and family first, and the fame second.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,574,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I've never watched the show either, however I do agree about this being ridiculous.

Something that was pointed out on another show is that, if the information is correct, the kids are not set for life as all the money goes to the parents and none is being put into trust for the kids. That is why they are being investigated regarding child labor laws and such.

Apparently since they are on a reality show the kids are not considered child actors and therefore not protected by the Coogan's Law (child actors law) nor the actor's union. So, the parents can do whatever they wish with the money they make and are not required to put anything in trust for the kids.

I find that wrong on so many levels, and only one of the reasons I don't watch shows such as this. The kids have no say.
This is not totally true. My former employer had a reality show which involved his children. The network required approval by the Courts, which appointed a Guardian to speak with the parents/children and assess the entire situation in terms of how and if the taping would affect the children's school/education. In addition the Guardian is required to review the contract with the network/producers and determine the income being generated. In the end the Guardian submits his/her recommendation to the Court and the Court approves it, oftentimes with a trust fund being set up which is overseen by the court appointed Guardian.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,075,868 times
No, I don't think Kate is losing control. I think what happened (what I saw in the stills and heard about it) is typical in any family with young kids. My first method of discipline is a time out. If that doesn't get their attention they get a swat. OMG! Call the cops on me!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I so agree! I'm really hoping that their "big announcemet" is that they are not going to do another season and will take the time to work on their family. I think that would be best for everyone, especially the children.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,445,247 times
I didn't know who this woman was until about a month ago, and now that I know I still don't care. But as far as the spanking goes, good for her. The kid deserved more than what she got.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,093,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Ditto--I don't see how inflicting any type of pain on a child is the best way to convey a message. You would expect a different method of disciplining from someone who wrote a book on parenting multiples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting