Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

Reality show star Kate Gosselin, already under investigation by Pennsylvania's Labor Department for possibly breaking child labor laws, is defending herself over new magazine photos that show her presumably spanking one of the sextuplets and talking to a police officer.

Kate Gosselin Spanks Leah? Photo of 'Jon and Kate' Reality Mom - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 AM

220 posts, read 646,192 times
NO I don't think a simple spank on the tush is losing control, as long as thats all that it is. The pic didn't seem like it was more than that.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,436,574 times
Poor Kate, everything she does will be caught on camera for Americas scrutiny.[ personally I'm not a fan of hers, but they are intitled to privacy] Supposedly, there on 24 acres. I'd take some of that money the family has earned and hire a lanscaping company to come in and put trees and nice 8 foot high fencing and electronic gate around the property so that every move her and the kids make couldn't be filmed. There are solutions.

Last edited by virgode; 06-18-2009 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,753,498 times
I am not sure I feel sorry for Kate, she has been seeking publicity since the beginning. That being said, I do not think a light spanking (not hitting/ hurting, but to get the child's attention) is wrong.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,470,526 times
I saw the hand up but never saw her strike the child. But then again I don't see the harm in spanking.

The police officer was there on another matter. It seems the tourist and or gossip mongrels was blocking the street and normal traffic couldn't get by.

I don't know what's worse...her and Jon inviting this nonsense or the people who watch it and drool over any kind of bad press.

And no I don't watch this show or any like it. It's just been all over the news.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Poor Kate, everything she does will be caught on camera for Americas scrutiny.[ personally I'm not a fan of hers, but they are intitled to privacy] Supposedly, there on 24 acres. I'd take some of that money the family has earned and hire a lanscaping company to come in and put trees and nice 8 foot high fencing and electronic gate around the property so that every move her and the kids make couldn't be filmed. There are solutions.
If they wanted privacy, they wouldn't have some silly "reality show".

I don't think the spanking is a sign she's a bad parent, I think the way she is trying to make herself into some kind of celebrity and exploiting her children to do so is what makes her a terrible parent.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,216,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Reality show star Kate Gosselin, already under investigation by Pennsylvania's Labor Department for possibly breaking child labor laws, is defending herself over new magazine photos that show her presumably spanking one of the sextuplets and talking to a police officer.

The case is ridiculous. It's all part of the publicity for some article. If they were so worried about the kids they would have investigated a long time ago.

By the way, how long do people think they are being filmed? A clip here and a clip there probably adds up to less than 10 hours a week of actual filming time. Then they break it up and they add interviews with the parents. Hardly anytime at all.

And the parents would go down along with the network that "employed" the kids

Kate's a great mom. ALL of her kids are set for life with $ and opportunity. While I wouldn't put my kids on tv for my own reasons that is her choice as a parent and I don't think they would have survived without it!

And with a hubby as unorganized and "dippy" as John, a wife HAS to be like Kate to get ANYTHING done!

By the way, neither has an excuse. They both admit in the earliest shows that both personalities WERE and ARE as they were BEFORE they were married! Kate always bossy and having a great ability to organize and get things done and John somewhat "slow" and easy going and "likes having someone get it all done so he doesn't have to." His words

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM

893 posts, read 1,573,719 times
The daughter deserved it, and Kate herself deserves a dose of her own medicine IMHO.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,581,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
The case is ridiculous. It's all part of the publicity for some article. If they were so worried about the kids they would have investigated a long time ago.

By the way, how long do people think they are being filmed? A clip here and a clip there probably adds up to less than 10 hours a week of actual filming time. Then they break it up and they add interviews with the parents. Hardly anytime at all.

And the parents would go down along with the network that "employed" the kids

Kate's a great mom. ALL of her kids are set for life with $ and opportunity. While I wouldn't put my kids on tv for my own reasons that is her choice as a parent and I don't think they would have survived without it!

And with a hubby as unorganized and "dippy" as John, a wife HAS to be like Kate to get ANYTHING done!

By the way, neither has an excuse. They both admit in the earliest shows that both personalities WERE and ARE as they were BEFORE they were married! Kate always bossy and having a great ability to organize and get things done and John somewhat "slow" and easy going and "likes having someone get it all done so he doesn't have to." His words
I've never watched the show either, however I do agree about this being ridiculous.

Something that was pointed out on another show is that, if the information is correct, the kids are not set for life as all the money goes to the parents and none is being put into trust for the kids. That is why they are being investigated regarding child labor laws and such.

Apparently since they are on a reality show the kids are not considered child actors and therefore not protected by the Coogan's Law (child actors law) nor the actor's union. So, the parents can do whatever they wish with the money they make and are not required to put anything in trust for the kids.

I find that wrong on so many levels, and only one of the reasons I don't watch shows such as this. The kids have no say.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

OMG she spanked her child

Why is this any of our business or any of our business to judge?

As much as I have never cared for how she consistently puts her husband down, she was disciplining her child as she deemed fit. Spanking is not child abuse. Ignoring the child's defiant behavior or pacifying it is more abusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting