U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:40 AM

2,913 posts, read 4,256,209 times

Advertisements

I suppose if I were ever in that situation I'd probably ask politely as well and if they reacted badly I'd chalk it up to bad manners on their part and then turn my attention back to my kids. I've learned to try real hard not to let someone else's foul mood ruin my own. Most times I'm successful at that.

We only have one park close by like that, called a sprayground here, and the tables aren't close enough to sit and observe even if I wanted to. My kids are now too big for it. However, when we did go I took 4 all 5 and under and there's no way I'd just sit and observe. I was right there with them, having a blast.

What we might more likely have run into was someone dumping our stuff on a table and claiming it for themselves...but that never happened either, thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,876,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Alright, it is getting to be that time of year again.... when we go to water park/splash parks and let the kids play.
It is...I said the same thing at the library the other day...not sure when the memo went out that the library was a playground/daycare center once school is out....

We have the same sort of water park; free, nicely kept, close by, small enough not to get the kids overstimulated over choices; and secure. But it also brings out some interesting people who decided to procreate who probably should never have & they sit around, swear, smoke, talk on their cell phone and scream at the kids and leave a mess of McDonalds bags and soda cans laying around when they leave.

But our park also is well monitored and a few times I've seen the police talk to parents...mostly if the children are being allowed to run naked or are playing in the parking lot & so on.

Use your intuition.

If the family looks shady, maybe just move your stuff. Take the higher road. Those people are looking for a fight with a nun....

If the family looks approachable, I see no harm or reason why you cannot ask.

Common courtesy & respect in public places.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,791,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
The woman sounds unbalanced. You can't really reason with crazies like that. I think you handled it fine-it wasn't worth it to get into a fight with the nut. And you stood your ground with keeping your table, so she didn't win on that. I feel bad for the nut's kids who have to live with her everyday!
I agree, she definately sounds like a person with mental illness. She probably kept yelling at you because it made her mad that she wasn't getting to you. Your smile probably hacked her off.

Someone posted earlier this sounds like PMS, now that hacked me off!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM

1,970 posts, read 4,523,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Alright, it is getting to be that time of year again.... when we go to water park/splash parks and let the kids play. My children enjoy this one splash park that is in our area and REALLY quite small. It is free and if you get there early enough you can get a picnic table for a group to have lunch together and it is a great viewing spot of the entire area- very close and you can dump all your stuff there to keep dry. There is no swimming and you can see all parts of the splash park from certain picnic tables. It really is a GREAT park because it is so small and the kids get cooled off, have a blast and it is free. We can't wait to start heading back there this summer....

Now, I was thinking about this park and an incident we had last summer (that I remember like YESTERDAY!) where a woman wanted to actually get into a fight with me because I asked if she minded moving over a bit so we would be able to continue to watch our kids. You all can tell me if I am in the wrong here. We all (4 of us moms and our kids) got there early and got a picnic table, set up, let the kids run off... come and go as they pleased.... we had already been there about 45 minutes when this woman sets up shop RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!! So we can't see the kids. She has a double stroller and just stands there in front of us and plops her stuff down blocking our view....there really is no reason for this... So POTLITELY.. really- I used all the honey on my tongue I could.... I asked if she would mind moving a tad to the right or left so we could keep watching our children..... She started yelling at us and told us to get off our A$# and move. I sweetly explained we were already set up and our children were running around and knew where we were..... again... please in order to not upset or frighten our kids who were busy and distracted would she mind moving over.... Again... she was in my face. Now we do not live in a rough part of town, but a nice suburban area. This was so shocking to me. So, unfortunately we were forced to move.... She didn't stop either... it continued, because the park is so small and we were left standing right next to her... she kept making obnoxious comments about the audacity of being asked to move and some people! How dare we.... and now we have to stand next to her like this... It was so obnoxious... I just kept the world's LARGEST smile on my face the entire time.... I wasn't going to let her see she was getting to me. We never took our stuff off of the picnic table though because we were hoping she would moved and we could return to our spot.... and in the end we decided she was most likely trying to bully us out of the picnic table.... but we were unsure.... it was a shame and ruined our afternoon. Luckily the KIDS didn't catch on to this and THEY had a wonderful day.... which really is all that matters... (and that I didn't get beat up!)

Have any of you experienced anything like this or do you think I was in the wrong for asking her to move? It just seemed like a total over reaction to such a small request. Seeing as it is THAT TIME OF YEAR again I want to go in PREPARED this time LOL Keep my mouth shut or am I in my right?
No, I don't think that you have the right to ask or expect someone to move out of your line of vision so that you can watch your kids.

I've taken my children out to parks when they were little and it never occurred to me to ask others to move so I could see my kids. First of all, I rarely sat down--I'd constantly be chasing my kids. Second of all, a lot of places were really busy and it just didn't occur to me to expect everyone to keep a clear path so as not to block my line of vision. I think that's a bit much.

Had I sat down in front of you and you sweetly asked me to move all my stuff, I simply would've sweetly told you no.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:47 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,319,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
No, I don't think that you have the right to ask or expect someone to move out of your line of vision so that you can watch your kids.

I've taken my children out to parks when they were little and it never occurred to me to ask others to move so I could see my kids. First of all, I rarely sat down--I'd constantly be chasing my kids. Second of all, a lot of places were really busy and it just didn't occur to me to expect everyone to keep a clear path so as not to block my line of vision. I think that's a bit much.

Had I sat down in front of you and you sweetly asked me to move all my stuff, I simply would've sweetly told you no.
Moderator cut: rude
It is RUDE and disrespectful and frankly stupid to move right in front of someone OBVIOUSLY watching their child.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-20-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 PM

458 posts, read 788,241 times
if someone came to me and asked me to move to the right or left, I would. So yes she over reacted and you should go and enjoy yourself and if something like this happenes again, know you are right to ask.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM

17,046 posts, read 14,626,378 times
I've been in this type of situation and I always wish I said something different. This week at swimming lessons I got there early and got a seat right in front of my sons lane. The chairs are all lined up several feet back from the pool and I don't move them (neither does anyone else, really). Then another mom picks up a chair and plops down right between me and my son's lesson about 2 feet from the edge of the pool. I could see him once he was out in the lane, but she completely blocked my view of him hanging on the wall. He's 5 so I like to make sure he isn't misbehaving. Anyway, I didn't say anything because I figured I am free to plop my chair down right in front of the pool, if I want, I just choose not to be that rude. So, no I guess you can't expect people to leave you a clear line of sight; but I share your frustration. Some people are just inconsiderate, and the way she reacted was completely unnecessary. She could have moved a little, if possible, and politely said no, if it wasn't.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 PM

12,157 posts, read 10,830,522 times
People are crazy. I was at WDW in March, me and my son were sitting on the ground in front of the castle waiting for the fireworks. This lady with her 3 kids comes and squeezes in front of us. I wasn't really worried about not being able to see (fireworks are in the sky) but she told me - in a very not polite way - I needed to make room for her kids to sit down. Now if she had said it a little nicer, I might have let my son sit on my lap or even stood up so her kids could have had a little more space but because of her nasty little attitude I said "Did it look like there was enough room for your kids to sit down when you pushed your way up here" She spent the rest of the night huffing and puffing and complaining about how rude people are, especially to children. I was seething but since my son was with me I played it off and focused on the fireworks.

It wasn't you.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,400,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
People are crazy. I was at WDW in March, me and my son were sitting on the ground in front of the castle waiting for the fireworks. This lady with her 3 kids comes and squeezes in front of us. I wasn't really worried about not being able to see (fireworks are in the sky) but she told me - in a very not polite way - I needed to make room for her kids to sit down. Now if she had said it a little nicer, I might have let my son sit on my lap or even stood up so her kids could have had a little more space but because of her nasty little attitude I said "Did it look like there was enough room for your kids to sit down when you pushed your way up here" She spent the rest of the night huffing and puffing and complaining about how rude people are, especially to children. I was seething but since my son was with me I played it off and focused on the fireworks.
LOLOLOL! She knew she was taking advantage, and she's going to use her kids as an excuse!

The OP asked nicely, she was there first, at a picnic table. It would have been easy for the nut job to move over a little. Easier than popping off at the mouth.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,319,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Moderator cut: rude
It is RUDE and disrespectful and frankly stupid to move right in front of someone OBVIOUSLY watching their child.

Mod, please DM me, and explain how I recieved an infraction for this post, since I was not directly attacking someone; but rather speaking of a hypothetical situation, in which the "you", was a general you, NOT a specific person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting