Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 PM

180 posts, read 620,362 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Removed per author's request

Last edited by Marka; 04-15-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,505,452 times
To me it is abuse, but I don't know what a parent who doesn't want their kid drugged can do when the custodial parent wants him drugged. I think the only way would be to fight for and win custody.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM

484 posts, read 1,364,037 times
Wow! I guess I can be naive sometimes, but do you know for a fact that all of this is taking place? and that its not what's called "he said she said" ? What I mean is, has the CP told you she is doing this to the kids? I can't imagine a parent doing this to their children. I'm not sure what I would do. Can you call the Police and ask them what to do or call Child protective Services and ask them for advice? Ritalin is not for kids with sleep disorders, is it? I thought it was for ADHD.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,689,930 times
If it's happening, the drug levels will be indicated as a result of an abrupt blood test, but am not knowing for how long it would remain in the system. Timing may be be everything.
And if the CP is in fact doing this, she is poisoning her children - that is not a medication to 'play' doctor with. It can do damage.

I, personally, had never heard of a three-year-old being prescribed Ritalin...that's scary. Mother/father shoud not be toying with the dosage. Fact.
But a one-year-old, without MD's approval, dosing guidelines or official labeling...an infant...that's abuse.

Ritalin Use Statistics (http://www.neurosoup.com/ritalinstats.htm - broken link)

Stimulant ADHD Medications: Methylphenidate and Amphetamines - InfoFacts - NIDA

If you are CERTAIN, call family services. Call the Pediatrician. Call someone. Today. It has to stop.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,060,127 times
I would be calling someone. My daughter is on Ritalin for ADHD but she is 12. I would think for his age and body weight that is way to much AND if it is resulting in him sleeping it isn't being dosed correctly. Ritalin is NOT for sleeping nor is it to put a child into a "druggie" state. Call CPS or someone NOW before this child ends up with heart damage as a result.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
That doesn't make any sense. Ritalin's real name is methylphenidate--"meth" and "phen" are right in the name. It's a stimulant. The most common side effects of taking Ritalin are not sleeping and not eating. Giving a kid a big dose of stimulants isn't going to make him sleep.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
Also, where is this hypothetical mother getting these hypothetical drugs? Ritalin is a Schedule II controlled substance, along with cocaine, morphine and opium, and it's illegal to have it without a prescription. If the mother is overdosing one kid and giving it to another kid, she's going to quickly run out and need more. The doctor might fall for her needing an early refill once but not a second time. Any halfway decent doctor will immediately suspect drug abuse.

In any case, if this is really happening, this woman could be busted for drug possession and abuse and sent to jail.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 AM

546 posts, read 1,675,073 times
Agreed with above posters. If this is true, where is she getting the drugs from as you can NOT have them without a prescription, and ritalin is a stimulant which should do the opposite of what she is looking for, unless they are diagnosed with ADHD (and at that age they can not be.)

(For reference, my son was diagnosed with severe ADHD and is on only 36mg of Concerta, which is not an instant release like Ritalin is. And he is 7. so 4 pills of 5mg Ritalin is sickening for such a small child)

Hypothetically speaking, if this were going on I would be calling the childrens pediatrician, my lawyer, and if I had enough evidence, police and DSS. If I didnt have enough evidence I'd be bugging the hell out of my lawyer to find out what I can do legally ASAP!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,060,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Ritalin's real name is methylphenidate--"meth" and "phen" are right in the name. It's a stimulant. The most common side effects of taking Ritalin are not sleeping and not eating. Giving a kid a big dose of stimulants isn't going to make him sleep.
If a child has ADHD and they are OVER MEDICATED they will be drowsy, sleepy, and drugged looking. I have had 2 children on various dosages of stimulants for several years. Yes, you have to be flexible in the dosage within normal reason to get it adjusted properly at first. I do not believe this is what is happening in this case. At 3 years old, unless a child has SEVERE behavior problems I just can't see most Pediatricians prescribing that much Ritalin. The amphetamine is still the same effect. It is NOT something to be taken lightly or abused. It does sound like she is abusing the effects for her own benefit.
I would be getting a lawyer and custody, quickly.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 AM

467 posts, read 980,883 times
1. Three yrs old is too young for Ritalin (Five at earliest)

2. Ritalin doesn't make you tired, it only helps your brain to focus and not be as inattentive.

You can't cure little kid sillies Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting