Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,585,849 times

Advertisements

I feel it's dehumanizing.
I wish it were illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,414,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I feel it's dehumanizing.
I wish it were illegal.
sigh--A very good parent that I know personally has a lively 3 yr old boy and planned to travel home for Christmas with the child and all that is needed for such a journey. She decided to use the leash/animal backpack rather than risk an unfortunate incident. I think her reasoning was sound.

That is not her standard procedure, FWIW.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,207,770 times
When they first came out, I thought it was crap. I never used one and I did not need to. I don't like them. My child hid in clothes racks but never was he silent. My child is not autistic either.

I'm not saying they aren't a good tool. I'm saying that I have never been in a situation that required it. It only takes a second.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,498,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I was shopping for a birthday gift yesterday at Metropolis, (The local mall) and happen to look over to the other side of the square at the playground and saw a parent with her little boy and she had him on a leash. I( not even close to being a parent yet because I'm 17) thought it was terrible. I know little kids can be a little rambuncious but are they so bad that they have to be put on leashes? It was just one lady with nothing else but a purse and her kid. It's not like she had her hands full and couldnt keep her kid close.

What do you guys think?

How old was the child? Hopefully not 12 years old......lol......I never used leashes or anything else with my children, just kept them close and watched them like a hawk! No relaxation being a mother when you are out and about, worried about traffic, weirdos snatching them etc....If I was going to be really busy and rushed, lots of people around, traffic etc. I would put my child in a pushchair.

Leashes can be the lazy option. But I do understand why some parents might use them at certain times.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,144,090 times
they are in the live kid biz. when you live in a society that condemns all acts of punishment discipline and boundaries, that is what you do. we send our dogs to obediance school and let our kids run wild.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,837,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they are in the live kid biz. when you live in a society that condemns all acts of punishment discipline and boundaries, that is what you do. we send our dogs to obediance school and let our kids run wild.
a bit a#$ backwards isn't it? put your kids on the leash instead of teach them to walk WITH you and listen hmmmm..... your right... you will pay to teach your dog to heal, sit, listen but you put your kid on a leash and call that parenting..... wow.... WOW... that really put it into perspective I didn't see any of that PARENTING of the kids I saw on leashes in WDW... more like ignoring... it was like "My kid is fine I know I am attached to them they are right THERE!" and they stopped watching... Now, I know NOT EVERY parent is like this.... but the ones I ran into WERE..... I watch my kids... I am ON them and teach them to stay with me, walk WITH me, sit WITH me.... be WITH me... and they aren't on a leash..... never have been... they have either walked or been in a stroller resting where I have control.... OH, and when I saw that little girl wrapping that leash around her neck and the parents were not watching!!! I wanted to run right over and unhook her!!! Why did she need it in line and couldn't go anywhere???!!!! That was so dangerous.....

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 AM

893 posts, read 1,575,136 times
I think its just another tool for lazy parents. The ones that Huckleberry was refering to. These are the parents who are too afraid to warm their childrens backside when neccessary, and teach them how to behave properly. It's the same parents that are scared of every germ, every stranger, every scratch, bruise, tear, and so forth. Are any of us perfect parents? Nope. Will there ever be a "perfect" parent? Nope. Were there rapist, kidnappers, murderers, bullies, and sex offenders 20, 30, 40, years ago? Yes. Somehow, since the baby boomers we have continued to grow sappier, weaker, and more afraid with each passing year, and still have the audacity to think that we have great statistics and better knowledge than our elders had when it comes to parenting. Now you see disrespect everywhere you go from kids ages 3 to 18 and family values fall to the wayside.

I don't know what it was like to grow up in the 50's, but it seems families had it right. Maybe it's just me, but when you see kids on a leash, it's disturbing. Come on parents!!! YOU are in charge!!! If you can't keep your little ones in control, then don't take them out until they learn to stay by your side.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,728,089 times
Nothing wrong with keeping your child safe. I have my almost 3-year old on a harness when we walk in big cities. I don't care what other people think, as long as my child (who likes to take off running) doesn't get hit by a car. An older lady actually stopped me in San Francisco not too long ago and told me what a smart mother I am. In her words "don't give a hoot what others might say, you're very smart for keeping your child safe". I will bring the harness with us to the airport again and feel pretty darn good about it.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:26 AM

266 posts, read 864,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Nothing wrong with keeping your child safe. I have my almost 3-year old on a harness when we walk in big cities. I don't care what other people think, as long as my child (who likes to take off running) doesn't get hit by a car. An older lady actually stopped me in San Francisco not too long ago and told me what a smart mother I am. In her words "don't give a hoot what others might say, you're very smart for keeping your child safe". I will bring the harness with us to the airport again and feel pretty darn good about it.
i agree with you and what you said .

I had a "leash" when i was a child and it didnt do any harm to me. If it kept me safe then i dont see what the problem is. In fact i can tell you that i dont even remember having a leash i just remembering seeing a picture of me with it on. I think its hillarious that people think its a tool for lazy people. If that was true then a stroller would also be a lazy tool for people. Give me a break! I have a son who is one and not walking yet. When he gets older if i have an incidient where he runs off and i cant find him i may just think about buying a "leash" for him. I think another problem is that we call it a leash. Its not an actual dog leash its a backpack! I think it sounds like an excellent idea if you are in an airport since its more compact than a stroller. Plus maybe some children don't like to be in a stroller and would prefer to walk. Its not necessarily a good thing to make a kid go in the stroller when they dont want to, aren't tired and feel like moving.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

266 posts, read 864,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
I think its just another tool for lazy parents. The ones that Huckleberry was refering to. These are the parents who are too afraid to warm their childrens backside when neccessary, and teach them how to behave properly. It's the same parents that are scared of every germ, every stranger, every scratch, bruise, tear, and so forth. Are any of us perfect parents? Nope. Will there ever be a "perfect" parent? Nope. Were there rapist, kidnappers, murderers, bullies, and sex offenders 20, 30, 40, years ago? Yes. Somehow, since the baby boomers we have continued to grow sappier, weaker, and more afraid with each passing year, and still have the audacity to think that we have great statistics and better knowledge than our elders had when it comes to parenting. Now you see disrespect everywhere you go from kids ages 3 to 18 and family values fall to the wayside.

I don't know what it was like to grow up in the 50's, but it seems families had it right. Maybe it's just me, but when you see kids on a leash, it's disturbing. Come on parents!!! YOU are in charge!!! If you can't keep your little ones in control, then don't take them out until they learn to stay by your side.
Ok i am in my 20's but i'll tell you one thing i hear all the time. I hear that the world has changed quite drastically and isnt as "safe" as it was. Sure there were murderers and rapists back then but i'll tell you one thing. I wouldnt let my elemetary child go walking to school by himself like my mother was allowed to "back in the day".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting