Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM

264 posts, read 817,944 times

Advertisements

i used one...actually two..when my twins were littler...it is hard when you are outnumbered with them and I'd rather have my children alive and safe, even if it means I have to put up with looks from other people. It only takes one time of them not minding you and running away to loose them forever. better safe than sorry, IMO. strollers are great but double strollers can be really really cumbersome and not even fit in some stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,885,203 times
My opinion, if you have so many children that you have to put them on a leash, dont have so many.
If its just one, there is no excuse or reason for it, just laziness. I consider it very tacky.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM

264 posts, read 817,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
My opinion, if you have so many children that you have to put them on a leash, dont have so many.
If its just one, there is no excuse or reason for it, just laziness. I consider it very tacky.
I"ll take tacky over unsafe any day.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,936,470 times
the world has changed I will go for tacky as well these days

Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM

751 posts, read 2,476,084 times
My neice throws herself backwards when you carry her and wiggles and kicks and screams. So you really can't carry her because she will end up being dropped. She does the same thing when you hold her hand. She throws herself on the ground, she twists herself around so you lose your grip. So yes, I can see where some parents would need to use a leash. I would rather see her leashed than get run over by a car or lost and kidnapped.

Last edited by 1phwalls; 07-23-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I was shopping for a birthday gift yesterday at Metropolis, (The local mall) and happen to look over to the other side of the square at the playground and saw a parent with her little boy and she had him on a leash. I( not even close to being a parent yet because I'm 17) thought it was terrible. I know little kids can be a little rambuncious but are they so bad that they have to be put on leashes? It was just one lady with nothing else but a purse and her kid. It's not like she had her hands full and couldnt keep her kid close.

What do you guys think?
If it keeps them away from me, I'm all for it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,559,157 times
I would certanly use one in todays world! It may look tacky but I too, would take tacky over loosing a child. Parents turn kids loose in public and just ignore them these days, it only takes a second for something bad to happen that you would regret for the rest of your life.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 AM

758 posts, read 1,867,911 times
If dogs had never been put on leashes it wouldn't look tacky. People seem to think children on leashes is treating them as if they were dogs, not true, the same reason we put leashes on dogs is the reason people put kids on them...to keep them safe and keep them from running around bothering other people.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,637,460 times
ive seen the "leashes" that are stuffed animal back pack looking things.

i think they are fine. if used properly and under close supervision.

putting a leash on a kid still does not keep them safe. it has its benefits but also creates other issues.

im fine with it. its their kid not mine. sometimes i wishd i could put mine on leashes, but a quick arm grab and slap in the face usually calmed them down...

i jest, i jest. i would never slap their face. effective parenting requires invovlement. in the case of behavioural issues, some more drastic steps are taken (leashes). i can get with that.

no biggie.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:55 PM

179 posts, read 515,637 times
I have used the animal backpacks with the tail as the leash for both of my kids. When my oldest (currently 4) was younger (bit over 2 1/2) I have to travel to upstate NY with her and my almost one year old son. My son was in the stroller and she was in the harness. It was the best thing. She absolutely loved wearing it. In places where there are alot of people it is needed. Kids have a tendency to get side tracked by items in stores, other kids, pets, etc. and start to wander off. This keeps them nearby.

My son is not a big fan of it and he is much more likely to run off than my daughter. I have used him in it at places like the zoo because he does not want to sit in the stroller.

It is most helpful because I have more than one child. When I only had the one it was not a big deal. However, if you are focusing on one of them at least the other cannot just run off.

I do not think it affects their self esteem. Maybe if you put a 7 year old on it. But my almost 2 year old is going to wear it when I deem necessary. I would rather people look down on me; than me looking down on a grave or not even knowing what happened to my child. It is BECAUSE I love them that I put them on a harness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting