Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM

496 posts, read 1,691,001 times

Advertisements

Ok So I will be graduating college in 2010 and I will be moving from my hometown of Memphis, TN to Alexandria, VA where I will be on my own without my parents standing on my own two feet. So I was wondering how did some of your kids adjust to life after college? Did they move back home (I have absolutely no plans to burden my parents anymore by moving back home. They have been taking care of me my whole life, now it's time for them to live there's) or move to another state? Did you assist them with then moving process, if so how? I think I'm more concerned with the actual moving process (packing, finding the right apartment, getting to Alexandria, etc) then actually being away from home. How did your kids make the adjustment? Also, any tips on the moving process will be helpful as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 PM

15,830 posts, read 21,343,774 times
Why are you choosing that one place?

I'm also graduating in 2010 and absolutely have no idea where I'll be. Depending on what my job options are and what grad schools I get into, I could literally be anywhere in the world. My one piece of advice would be NOT to move anywhere unless you get a job.

I'm living at home this summer but I've gone to college 1000 miles from home alone from day one and then studied abroad in 3 different countries and traveled independently all over the place, so I guess I don't have the same concerns as you. Are you still living at home now? Living on your own can be EXPENSIVE so make sure you find an apartment share when you start out. Alexandria is a fairly expensive area to live so keep that in mind as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I'm also graduating in 2010 and absolutely have no idea where I'll be. Depending on what my job options are and what grad schools I get into, I could literally be anywhere in the world. My one piece of advice would be NOT to move anywhere unless you get a job.

I'm living at home this summer but I've gone to college 1000 miles from home alone from day one and then studied abroad in 3 different countries and traveled independently all over the place, so I guess I don't have the same concerns as you. Are you still living at home now? Living on your own can be EXPENSIVE so make sure you find an apartment share when you start out. Alexandria is a fairly expensive area to live so keep that in mind as well.
It's between Virgnia Beach and Alexandria. I have been thinking about this and planning to move to Virginia for a while now. But of course that could change. I totally agree, I will NOT move unless I have a job.I'm pretty much in the same boat you are in. I'm living at home this summer because I attend college 6 hours away from home and I too have studied abroad and traveled independently. Yeah I plan to have a roomate.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
I lived on my own in college and supported myself independently, so I guess I didn't have the same concerns. Still, since you've studied abroad and been away from home in the past I think you won't have any problems adjusting this time. Check out the moving forum for packing tips. I think the toughest part post-college is simply meeting people (if you're moving somewhere new), but having a roommate will definitely help smooth that transition, even if you aren't friends with that roommate. Just having someone around will hlep. And Alexandria is filled with lots of other young transplants. You could also check to see if your college has an alumni society there; a lot of colleges do, especially in the DC area.

My only other suggestion it to try to pack light and not buy stuff until you get there. If you won't have a lot of cash then shop second hand and check out Craigslist. DC always has massive turnover, especially other young people (a lot of college jobs, plus people who get a start there then move on), so there's plenty of options to furnish your place with decent used alternatives. Other than that, just make sure to budget, remember to pay your bills on time, and enjoy your new post-college life. Maybe see if your parents can come out to visit you a couple of months after you move so that you can show them the sights. In general, though, you sound like a pretty reasonable and responsible person, so I think the transition should go smoothly. My friends who were supported by their parents in college didn't have much trouble making the transition. The only thing we all struggled with was the figuring out how to meet people thing (which is easier in the DC area than in some places, at least), but that was independent of whether or not people had been supported by their parents or even lived at home.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I lived on my own in college and supported myself independently, so I guess I didn't have the same concerns. Still, since you've studied abroad and been away from home in the past I think you won't have any problems adjusting this time. Check out the moving forum for packing tips. I think the toughest part post-college is simply meeting people (if you're moving somewhere new), but having a roommate will definitely help smooth that transition, even if you aren't friends with that roommate. Just having someone around will hlep. And Alexandria is filled with lots of other young transplants. You could also check to see if your college has an alumni society there; a lot of colleges do, especially in the DC area.

My only other suggestion it to try to pack light and not buy stuff until you get there. If you won't have a lot of cash then shop second hand and check out Craigslist. DC always has massive turnover, especially other young people (a lot of college jobs, plus people who get a start there then move on), so there's plenty of options to furnish your place with decent used alternatives. Other than that, just make sure to budget, remember to pay your bills on time, and enjoy your new post-college life. Maybe see if your parents can come out to visit you a couple of months after you move so that you can show them the sights. In general, though, you sound like a pretty reasonable and responsible person, so I think the transition should go smoothly. My friends who were supported by their parents in college didn't have much trouble making the transition. The only thing we all struggled with was the figuring out how to meet people thing (which is easier in the DC area than in some places, at least), but that was independent of whether or not people had been supported by their parents or even lived at home.
Thanks for the input!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting