Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times

Advertisements

Most of the time for me, a spanking amounts to a swat on the rear and usually a kid still in diapers. A child that is trying to put a knife into the toaster, or something into an electrical outlet or is insisting they'll go near the street or trying to poke the eyes out of the cat.

A little older when they try to show serious disrespect or something that they know won't be tolerated and do it anyhow a wooden spoon to the behind.

Spankings don't work with all kids anyhow. Some kids will use them to be more defiant, they can sit and look at the parent and calmly state that the spanking didn't hurt. I think it's important that the parent never spank out of anger and be in total control and weigh the worth of whatever punishment/discipline he/she is dishing out.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Let me tell you, IF I needed a spanking as a child it was with the pants down, and I can tell you I did not do that behavior again as I did not want a repeat. With my girls it was different as it seems the whole community has a say now. But I would give them a tap on the butt if they needed it.
The whole community does not have a say.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:13 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,583,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes, spankings at home were always on the bare butt. Calling it humiliating would be a considerable exaggeration. It was embarrassing, and was intended to be. As I said elsewhere, embarrassment is not fatal and can be quite useful to parents. There is no constitutional privilege against ever being embarrassed.

A fifteen-year-old being spanked on his bare ass across his parent's knee?

Frankly, the image is almost unbearable to contemplate.
I have numerous questions about this, all of them too grotesque to even articulate.

All I can say is, good lord.
What people won't get up to, given half a chance.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,424,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The whole community does not have a say.
For damn sure. In my house my wife and I have a say, and nobody else.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,424,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
A fifteen-year-old being spanked on his bare ass across his parent's knee?
I didn't say it was across the knee. For someone finding it unbearable to contemplate, it's funny you would add details that weren't specified.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 11,670 times
dcgkjhnghklks

Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 PM

21 posts, read 90,001 times
Default Abuse, slavery, segregation=food preparation? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Let's see how this logic holds up if you change a few terms:

If you ask ten steak enthusiasts what's the best way to prepare a steak, they will give ten conflicting descriptions. There is therefore something suspect about eating steak.
Not to be disrespectful, you could also change the terms to "slavery" or "segregation". In your personal Conscience, does food preparation really carry the same weight as these issues?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM

106 posts, read 381,347 times
I didn't get spanked too often at home when I was a kid (more often a paddling at school, but when I did, it was bare bottom til I was about 8-years-old and pants up after that.

I think I got my last one at about 10-years-old, although I came really close to a couple of spankings and begged my folks into grounding me instead through about 13

As a parent, i've only given one spanking....just last week in fact! The boys are 7 & 8, which is right on the "border line" of that transition point from my childhood...but, I opted for pants up...over the lap and they seemed to really get the message just fine.

I don't think i'd personally do the bare bottom thing...that just seems a little too embarassing. MAYBE through underwear only if they were wearing thick blue jeans or something, but that'd be about the worst at our house.

...also, I found 3 swats got the point across just fine. I might see going a few more if the kids were older, but more than 5 or 6 good swats...even for an older kid, I think should probably be about the max. That sound alone is scary!...I think it's worse than the sting

Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
iru

3 posts, read 26,592 times
only until 7 bare bottem w/ paddle I have 5 kids 1 two year old 2 three year olds and a 4 and 6 year old and bare bottem paddle all of um

Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM
iru

3 posts, read 26,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post
I didn't get spanked too often at home when I was a kid (more often a paddling at school, but when I did, it was bare bottom til I was about 8-years-old and pants up after that.

I think I got my last one at about 10-years-old, although I came really close to a couple of spankings and begged my folks into grounding me instead through about 13

As a parent, i've only given one spanking....just last week in fact! The boys are 7 & 8, which is right on the "border line" of that transition point from my childhood...but, I opted for pants up...over the lap and they seemed to really get the message just fine.

I don't think i'd personally do the bare bottom thing...that just seems a little too embarassing. MAYBE through underwear only if they were wearing thick blue jeans or something, but that'd be about the worst at our house.

...also, I found 3 swats got the point across just fine. I might see going a few more if the kids were older, but more than 5 or 6 good swats...even for an older kid, I think should probably be about the max. That sound alone is scary!...I think it's worse than the sting
I bet my 2 year old wouldn't cry at your spankings I paddle her bare butt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.