Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,417,633 times

Advertisements

Over the course of this current recession, we've witnessed large corporations tumble, small shops shutter and layoffs affect workers of all walks. You can safely assume that most people are concerned about financial security right now, and working fathers are no exception, a recent CareerBuilder survey finds.

Poll: Fewer fathers want to be stay-at-home dads - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

467 posts, read 980,105 times
I don't mind it, personally. I just miss the social interaction with coworkers.

Its a good opportunity when the kids are little to build a bond. I'm sure plenty of mothers who had a career plan didn't want to stop everything to stay at home, either.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,481,564 times
"For instance, given the chance to spend more time with their children, 30 percent of surveyed fathers would take a pay cut. Of those willing to take a pay cut, 40 percent would consider a reduction of 10 percent or more."

My husband took a 25% paycut. It's been worth every single lost penny. We were just talking about this over the weekend and how when we had more money, it wasn't like trumphets were playing in the background and the kids were skipping and holding hands as the maid service cleaned and the cooks made our meals...we still had the very same issues just he was not around...ever...

And I think this needs to be respected for both working dads & moms: "Working dads can't shirk their professional duties or their personal responsibilities, so finding the right balance can seem impossible." I know my dh struggles with this all the time. And as a SAHM, it's my job to help him find that balance.

My dh works for a very family friendly company who nsists on 4 paid personal days (on top of 14 days of paid vacation) for its employees & so on. They organize weekend family friendly events throughout the summer. For example, every summer they give the employees tickets to a MLB game and host a picnic at the park along with free parking. We estimated this to be about $100 for a family of 4. In these times, that is very generous. And while it may not be a day off of work or more money in the paycheck, it's a fun event the dad can take the whole family to & doesn't have to pay a dime. It's also a way to teach other professional values to your children other than monetary.

While my dh would want more "$$", the other perks & recognitions he gets from his employer motivates him to go to work, do a good job at work, and provide for his family. He has no desire to be a stay at home dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting