Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,237,865 times

Advertisements

No she won't get into trouble. The police will most likely just work through the issues they are having at home. There must be reasons the parents don't want her to leave, and reasons your friend is so anxious to get out. The cops will look into this, is it drug use, abuse, reckless behavior- they will make sure things like this arent the cause of the dispute. I don't recommend it- its not easy. It costs a lot of money to live on your own, not to mention the safety issues when you are only 17- so young and nieve. JMO- I DO NOT THINK roomates.com is good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleD View Post
Im in the same predicament as you are i want to move out really bad my parents aka the people who manage to dictate my everymove say that if i were to move out they would be cool with it but only on 2 conditions 1) if i move out i wont be allowed to move back in (like if something falls threw and im out on the street) and 2) my parents will declare me a runaway that way they wouldnt be legally responsible for anything i do. i just turned 17 and i have a place to move to with some friends i also have a well paying job and am able to pay for rent and all the neccesities the only problem is is that if i am declared a runaway and for some small reason i am to get into trouble with the police the people i would be staying with could get into trouble for harboring a runaway ( because my parents legally declaring me one) if anyone has any answers on how i can legally move out at 17 please Mod: Don't put your email on here...you're asking for problems. Utillize DM feature.

thanx
I know this is the last thing you want to hear, but moving out is not a good plan. Life is expensive and hard. You are still a child, enjoy your family, your parents, your home. Stay put and love your mom and dad while you still can. You'll be grown up and responsible for yourself in no time.....

Old 03-29-2008, 12:06 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,063,764 times
The cops will continue to return her home until they see their is cause for concern, in that case she will be turned over to the custody of DSS and put into a foster or group home until she turns 18.
That is how it's done here in NC.
She can apply to become emancipated through the court....but she must be able to support herself financially.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,107 times
I am in a similar situation at the moment. I just turned 17 last month and the last few years at home have been unbearable. I live with my mother and stepfather and i have wanted to move out since i was 15. I don't mean move out as in go out in the big world and try to make it on my own, because i know that is nearly impossible. My grandma lives about 10 minutes from my home and has offered to take me under her wing plenty of times. She knows what i have to deal with at home and she does not like to see what i have to go through. I dread coming home at night and I'm involved in sports, one of which i don't even really enjoy that much anymore but participate in because i rather be at practice then home. I believe i am very mature for my age, I have been employed at my current job for a year now, i bought my own car when i was 16 and have had no problem paying car insurance and for my own gas every month. I am a full time student at a prestigious highschool who plans on attending college. As for my tuition my real father has taken care of my education fees since i started going to school, i have talked to him and he would have no problem paying for my education if i were to leave. I just don't want to get into any trouble if i do leave without my parental consent. Any advice or answers for me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,385,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash1534 View Post
I am in a similar situation at the moment. I just turned 17 last month and the last few years at home have been unbearable. I live with my mother and stepfather and i have wanted to move out since i was 15. I don't mean move out as in go out in the big world and try to make it on my own, because i know that is nearly impossible. My grandma lives about 10 minutes from my home and has offered to take me under her wing plenty of times. She knows what i have to deal with at home and she does not like to see what i have to go through. I dread coming home at night and I'm involved in sports, one of which i don't even really enjoy that much anymore but participate in because i rather be at practice then home. I believe i am very mature for my age, I have been employed at my current job for a year now, i bought my own car when i was 16 and have had no problem paying car insurance and for my own gas every month. I am a full time student at a prestigious highschool who plans on attending college. As for my tuition my real father has taken care of my education fees since i started going to school, i have talked to him and he would have no problem paying for my education if i were to leave. I just don't want to get into any trouble if i do leave without my parental consent. Any advice or answers for me would be greatly appreciated.
You cannot leave home in any state legally until you are 18. Since you're talking about tuition and school fees in high school, you probably go to a private school. Most kids turn 18 during their senior year of HS and I believe that most private high schools would not allow a student, 18 or not, to attend unless they lived in their parents' home.

You need to wait it out until graduation unless your parents are OK with you living with your grandmother. If your parents are OK with that, that would probably be a good option for you.

Otherwise, just try to spend more time at sports (or find other hobbies/activities that interest you better) and maybe try and spend more time at friends' houses, etc.

If you are being abused, then call the police and/or CPS. If you are not being abused, try my above advice.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,682,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm going through the same thing with my 17 year old daughter now. No, there isn't anything bad going on here, she just wants to become independent. She wants to make all of her decisions on her own and be able to do what she wants. Little does she realize, that it's very expensive to move out. She will be graduating next month. I told her the only way she's moving out is if she's going on to college. Well that's what she's planning on doing. She moving into a dorm and starting college as soon as she graduates. No summer break. We'll see what happens.
Mixed bag...

I moved out (to a different state) and in with a well-known boyfriend in his early 20's - when I was 16. My parents were not in any way thrilled about this, but due to previous experiences knew that I would have left on my own anyway...this is not an endorsement...but I was already out of school (flunkie), working as close to F/T as a legal teenager can get (30+ hours) and off I went in to the world. Within months I was supporting us by waitressing (again, as many hours as they'd give me) because he only brought in $100. a week as a green electrician - basically a go-for...and it turned out that he was himself not so well-prepared for life on his own, much less the burden of a struggling relationship.
While I thrived on the independence, not regretting the move, it taught me IMMEDIATELY about responsibilities I had not yet personally encountered...insurance, major car repairs, utlilities...forgoing almost all comforts while living there. Nail polish? No money for nail polish...we need bread.

This had been my decision and it would be on my dime. I knew that walking out the door.

After that relationship ended...badly, I ate crow and returned home at 18 (fortunately welcomed by all) got another job at a pub (better money), saved funding for school, did the GED and entered community college.

OP - Examine the real reasons (why you want) to leave home and if you go for it - make certain that you have a trustworthy adult to help guide you...not bail you out, but to help you find your way.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,682,957 times
Quote:

No way you can move in with your father?

Will your mother let you move in with Grandmother?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,574 times
Is it legal to move out when your 17 without your parents permission in Kansas?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,503 times
I seriously would not reccomend writing these thing on the internet, girls. You know that your parents can google your names and find this online. Don't be mistaken, i'm in the same situation as all of you. 17 and ready to move out, i mean. but really though. Think about it. especially the ones with the bi polar parents. if they see that you want to move out that bad, what kind of emotional freakshow do you think they will publicly/privately display if she sees this stuff on the net. Just sayin lol

Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
You should try to move in with your grandmother or father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting