Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 899 times

Advertisements

I want to move out once I turn 17 does anyone have any tips on how to survive on my own and how much money would I need ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:39 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebebdn View Post
I want to move out once I turn 17 does anyone have any tips on how to survive on my own and how much money would I need ?
My advice is to fully read all the advice in this thread from previous posters and start saving up so that you can move out at 18. You can't even get a library card (in my state) without a parent until you are 18. Can you imagine trying to get a bank account or place to live?

Use your parents for free rent and save up. Rent, food, clothing, utilities, taxes, transportation (gas, car repairs, or bus fare), medical care, insurance... How will you pay for all these things?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
If I can pop in with advice: don't do it.
Teenagers often have the idea that if they can get/hold a job, they're set for life- until they lose the job, find expenses go up, OR find their futures are really limited.
And this is the advice I'd offer to anyone considering the "emancipated minor" nonsense that's becoming more and more popular.
Stay with your parents, get an education- and you can look forward to a better future.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
3 dollars

Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurlybabe View Post
I have a friend who wants to move out of her parents house but she is only 17 she will be 18 in sept. but her parents told her that if she tried to leave that they would call the cops so will she get into trouble for that?
If "your friend" is moving out with a boy who is 18+ then the threat of a call to the cops should be enough to scare the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting