Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,063,194 times

Advertisements

I had my group of Girl Scouts at the park and was constantly barraged by 5 younger boys about 12-14 or so doing the same things. I asked them nicely a time or 2, then called the police. Never had another problem BUT I also got the reputation for being a ***** to the kids. Well... if that is what it takes. They left us alone from then on except maybe a sideways comment about "That Woman". Works for me.
Personally, if it were just my children I might have ignored them. BUT I was responsible for my other girls and we couldn't just leave. I will not tolerate my Girl Scouts acting in a way that is unbecoming a Scout in public...but nor will I expose them to someone else acting that way also.

Last edited by okpondlady; 06-28-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why don't you just call the police?
and say what? There are 12 year olds at the park?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why not see what happens if you just ask if your son could use the playground equipment?

Most people's assumptions about teenagers are way off base.
I agree. It might even be a teachable moment for your kids. Have them sort of wait in line, and politely ask the teens if your child can have a turn. I also don't hesitate to ask people not to swear in front of my kids.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
and say what? There are 12 year olds at the park?
And say there are DISRUPTIVE 12 year olds at the park LOITERING and they need to move on. Loitering is against the rules/laws at most city parks I know of.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,859,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
And say there are DISRUPTIVE 12 year olds at the park LOITERING and they need to move on. Loitering is against the rules/laws at most city parks I know of.
You would do this BEFORE you asked those scary middle school kids to leave?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You would do this BEFORE you asked those scary middle school kids to leave?
All I asked them to do was leave us alone. Did you read my post? I made that quite clear. What would you do if you were informed by your 6-7-8 yr old that at the Girl Scout Meeting there were some "older kids" saying this and that? Most parents would be quite upset. I know I would. There was only 2 tables at the park and we were working on a craft. Not only were they cursing, they were swinging from the rafters of the shelter, throwing sand, walking on the other table... things that they KNEW they were not supposed to do. Actually I didn't have to call the police, one of the mothers there was the wife of an officer in town and she called them. I wasn't sad about it though. I wouldn't call the police on someone without at least speaking to them first...personally I don't think that is fair.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,928,813 times
You would be surprised what asking a teen to do, and them following suit would get you. I had the same issue, but you have to think back to when you were that foul mouthed kid, they probably think that you are impressed by there vernacular!

A nice excuse me, or a cool watch your mouth young man/woman can get you further than you know. Every now and then you get the smart mouth kid, but a nice stern look and a even toned fatherly menacing glare, and even that kid will straighten up

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 AM

107 posts, read 306,966 times
lol im not "scared" of these kids, nor would i go to the extreme of calling the cops unless of course something dangerous was going on. i just would rather not get into it with them, you know? i could see myself telling them to leave and getting into an argument with a bunch of kids....rather just avoid the situation all together. i know one thing though when my son is 14 he'll have much better things to do than sit around on a playground being an anoyance to others, i'll make sure of that!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
What's the difference between hanging out at the park and loitering? Are you saying that if little kids are wandering around the playground or sitting under a tree, that's OK, but if big kids do it, that's loitering? Are small children running around screaming just kids at play, but big kids are being disruptive?

The cops could probably do something about the smoking or if the kids are littering, but hanging out at a park isn't illegal. That's what parks are for, and they're not just for the cute little kids who don't make any noise.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,427,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What's the difference between hanging out at the park and loitering? Are you saying that if little kids are wandering around the playground or sitting under a tree, that's OK, but if big kids do it, that's loitering? Are small children running around screaming just kids at play, but big kids are being disruptive?

The cops could probably do something about the smoking or if the kids are littering, but hanging out at a park isn't illegal. That's what parks are for, and they're not just for the cute little kids who don't make any noise.
The answer to both of your latter questions is yes. A playground is for smaller kids, and the equipment is geared for smaller kids. Once the kids become older (some playgrounds will have signs saying the equipment is for children 5-12 or in that general range), they need to find something else to do rather than hang at a playground. Especially if they are sitting on equipment that they are too big for, and preventing smaller children from using it. Especially if they are disruptive and vandalizing and misusing the equipment. This issue has nothing to do with unfair perceptions of teenagers. It has to do with teen-agers who are acting disruptive. I don't think the original post comes off as viewing teens as monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting