Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

My Britax Marathon is tethered rear-facing, but most seats don't tether RF. I think only Britax and one other allow for RF tethering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When can I switch from a regular car seat to a booster seat for my child. He just turned 3. He is 3'3'' and weigh 38 pounds. So he is a big boy. His car seat is getting to be too small for him. Any ideas?

Thanks
make sure you read the specs about the specific seat. Some say 35 lbs, some say 40. It also depends on where the 5 point harness straps hit him. My son has outgrown all his seats by height first, not be weight. Some boosters can be used first with a back, then w/o one.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times
I had the opposite problem, my seven year old, just barely hit 40 pounds, so I could transition him into a booster. I decided on the full back padded variety, seems to be much more comfortable and cradles his petite frame like a (Toddler) carseat but without the five point harness. One other thing you might consider, besides all the great advice that has been mentioned, is at his age (3) he is not mature enough or coordinated (probably) enough to buckle himself up (or not want to play with and unbuckle himself at inappropriate times).

****Sidenote**** Kudos ladies, I am rather pleased to hear so many people understand the necessity to keep their children in carseats as long as possible. It sickens me so much that people refuse to strap their precious cargo in, and saddens me to know that others won't go the extra step to understanding what is the best thing for their child. For instance....a certain state law (think it recently changed) was children remain in baby/toddler carseats till age 2, so people automatically think age 2 is when you don't do that anymore. <onviously not considering any variables>

Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
yes, size is more important than age, IMO. My almost 6 year old son has a friend who is closer to the size of my 3 year old (about 38 lbs). This 5 year old friend is already in a backless booster. I don't see how he could weigh enough. If he does, it is soaking wet with his shoes on.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
****Sidenote**** Kudos ladies, I am rather pleased to hear so many people understand the necessity to keep their children in carseats as long as possible. It sickens me so much that people refuse to strap their precious cargo in, and saddens me to know that others won't go the extra step to understanding what is the best thing for their child. For instance....a certain state law (think it recently changed) was children remain in baby/toddler carseats till age 2, so people automatically think age 2 is when you don't do that anymore. <onviously not considering any variables>
We went for a well-check peds appointment for my 3 year old last week and the doctor asked "Is she still in a carseat?" I think I looked at her dumbfounded for a minute before I said "Of course she's in a carseat!" The doc said you'd be surprised how many 3 year olds are not riding in carseats anymore because their parents think they are big enough. I told her not to worry about us - my daughter is still rear-facing! She's only 25 pounds even! (finally got back on the growth charts this time at the 3rd percentile!)

Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
We went for a well-check peds appointment for my 3 year old last week and the doctor asked "Is she still in a carseat?" I think I looked at her dumbfounded for a minute before I said "Of course she's in a carseat!" The doc said you'd be surprised how many 3 year olds are not riding in carseats anymore because their parents think they are big enough. I told her not to worry about us - my daughter is still rear-facing! She's only 25 pounds even! (finally got back on the growth charts this time at the 3rd percentile!)

I know we've been over this before but I just went on Friday for my daughter's 15 month check up and they asked me if she was still rear facing (she's 20lbs 10 oz and 30 in). I said of course! The ped said because of her height I should get another one. However, we don't have the money right now and the current seat says (35lbs/30in) Her feet JUST touch the backseat. He told me it was dangerous and I shoud reconsider.

I'm thinking no. Just doesn't make sense. The weight should be the biggest issue right?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I know we've been over this before but I just went on Friday for my daughter's 15 month check up and they asked me if she was still rear facing (she's 20lbs 10 oz and 30 in). I said of course! The ped said because of her height I should get another one. However, we don't have the money right now and the current seat says (35lbs/30in) Her feet JUST touch the backseat. He told me it was dangerous and I shoud reconsider.

I'm thinking no. Just doesn't make sense. The weight should be the biggest issue right?
The usual measure for height is your child's head needs to be at least one inch below the top of the hard shell when rear-facing. As long as your child still fits by that measure, and she obviously does by weight, the seat still fits.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When can I switch from a regular car seat to a booster seat for my child. He just turned 3. He is 3'3'' and weigh 38 pounds. So he is a big boy. His car seat is getting to be too small for him. Any ideas?

Thanks
Look into a Graco Nautilus. It harnesses (5 point) to 65lbs and converts to a very nice high backed booster seat once you are finished with the harness.

My 6yo (39 lbs, 43" tall) rides in it with the 5pt harness.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

You should also go by the height restriction which your car seat has. You said it's up to 30in. You said your daughter is already 30in so I would start looking for a new car seat... another inch and she is too tall for the car seat she currently has.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
The usual measure for height is your child's head needs to be at least one inch below the top of the hard shell when rear-facing. As long as your child still fits by that measure, and she obviously does by weight, the seat still fits.
Her head is more than I'd say 4 inches from the top of the seat. Her feet JUST touch the back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
You should also go by the height restriction which your car seat has. You said it's up to 30in. You said your daughter is already 30in so I would start looking for a new car seat... another inch and she is too tall for the car seat she currently has.
There was just a thread talking about this sortof thing. Many people were saying just to have the kid cross their legs if they still met the weight requirement. I was pretty confident in my choice to do just that until the md voiced his concerns.

I'm not sure if I see the dangers of the kid being a bit too long (as long as the head is low enough still) and being under the weight requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting