Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 AM

326 posts, read 1,297,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I'm not sure if I see the dangers of the kid being a bit too long (as long as the head is low enough still) and being under the weight requirement.
Rear-Facing Carseats and Safety
Rear-facing carseats are NOT a safety risk just because a child's legs are bent at the knees or because they can touch/kick the vehicle seat.

I guess you are right... this site also talks about the childs head being below the hard shell of car seat like the PP wrote about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:
I know we've been over this before but I just went on Friday for my daughter's 15 month check up and they asked me if she was still rear facing (she's 20lbs 10 oz and 30 in). I said of course! The ped said because of her height I should get another one. However, we don't have the money right now and the current seat says (35lbs/30in) Her feet JUST touch the backseat. He told me it was dangerous and I shoud reconsider.

I'm thinking no. Just doesn't make sense. The weight should be the biggest issue right?
not if she's too tall for the straps to fit right. Is she in an infant seat or a convertible? If still in an infant seat, she's got to be about to outgrow it, and you'll NEED a new one. If it is convertible, just turn it around. You shouldn't need to buy a new one.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Her head is more than I'd say 4 inches from the top of the seat. Her feet JUST touch the back seat.

There was just a thread talking about this sortof thing. Many people were saying just to have the kid cross their legs if they still met the weight requirement. I was pretty confident in my choice to do just that until the md voiced his concerns.

I'm not sure if I see the dangers of the kid being a bit too long (as long as the head is low enough still) and being under the weight requirement.
I doubt the height restriction has anything to do with her legs being bent. The seats are tested and approved for certain heights and weights. If she is taller than the limit of the seat, she's too big for it.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,216,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
not if she's too tall for the straps to fit right. Is she in an infant seat or a convertible? If still in an infant seat, she's got to be about to outgrow it, and you'll NEED a new one. If it is convertible, just turn it around. You shouldn't need to buy a new one.

It's an infant seat. It says 35lbs and/or 30 in.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 42,188 times
Default booster seat

After doing alot of research, and talking to my pediatrician, I switched my 3yo into the Britax froniter. This is a carseat/booster combo. It currently has a 5 point harness, which can be removed, as he gets bigger. Graco Natilus is the other (slightly cheaper than Britax) that has 5 point harness, we looked very seriously. I think its worth the money, since they can use it for 9 years.
At this age, make sure you get a booster that has 5 point harness, its the safest.
Take your child to try out the seats. My son hated how he fit in graco, & Combi, but liked the Britax.
Good luck

Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
It's an infant seat. It says 35lbs and/or 30 in.
wow! My younger son was so long in the torso he outgrew his infant seat at 4 months! If she's 30 inches, and the seat says up to 30 inches, it's time to get a new one. You've gotten way more use out of that seat than most, I think. You can still face her backward in a convertible seat.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower1160 View Post
After doing alot of research, and talking to my pediatrician, I switched my 3yo into the Britax froniter. This is a carseat/booster combo. It currently has a 5 point harness, which can be removed, as he gets bigger. Graco Natilus is the other (slightly cheaper than Britax) that has 5 point harness, we looked very seriously. I think its worth the money, since they can use it for 9 years.
At this age, make sure you get a booster that has 5 point harness, its the safest.
Take your child to try out the seats. My son hated how he fit in graco, & Combi, but liked the Britax.
Good luck
From another car seat thread, I learned that car seats have an expiration date. I looked at mine, and can't find it, but I'm told that they shouldn't be used for more than 6 years. I also work a children's consignment sale and we don't take car seats that are more then 6 years old. Bummer that I won't be able to consign any of my car seats. Between my 2 kids, they'll have been in use for 6 years.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM

72 posts, read 200,881 times
I am a car seat technician, and a lot of the info on this thread is great, but there are some misconceptions.

1) rkb0305--We always recommend that people not purchase car seats from consignment stores or yard sales for the simple reason that the history of the car seat. A car seat should not be used after the vehicle it was in has involved in an accident and sustained body damage. Please check out Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes to see if you can use your car seat after an accident.

2) While a child may look uncomfortable (to us) in a RF car seat with his legs bent, he probably isn't. They are a whole lot more flexible than you and I are. Also, there has never been (to the best of my knowledge) been an instance of a child in a RF car seat sustaining a leg injury after being involved in an accident while there are numberous instances of children receiving neck/back/head trauma when turned forward facing "too early". Which of course begs the question, what's too early? We recommend that you keep your child rear-facing as long as possible. Most convertible car seats (that work RF & FF) have a maximum weight of 30-35 lbs, although I think there is one either on the market or soon to released that will go to 40 lbs. What that means is that your child should be RF until they reach the maximum RF weight for the seat. My son was FF just after his 1st birthday because he had reached the maximum weight for his seat (30 lbs.) My daughter, on the other hand, was RF until she was almost 2. These rules also apply to a FF harness. Most seats go to 40 lbs, while there are now several on the market that go to 50, 65, and even 80 lbs. Keep your child in the 5 pt. harness until he reaches EITHER the maximum height or weight. My daughter, who is 4 1/2, is still in a 5 pt. harness since she only weights 37 lbs. My wife wants her in a booster seat like he big brother, who is 6, but I won't let her!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to send me a PM, and I'll get back to you.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM

264 posts, read 816,892 times
my 23 month old is still rear facing...I feel it is by far the safest thing for him...yes his feet hit the seat but this does not bother him. My 5 year olds are in a booster that has a 5 point harness...GRACO NAUTILUS...it was the most economical being that we had to have 4 (2 for each car).

Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJHJ View Post
I am a car seat technician, and a lot of the info on this thread is great, but there are some misconceptions.

1) rkb0305--We always recommend that people not purchase car seats from consignment stores or yard sales for the simple reason that the history of the car seat. A car seat should not be used after the vehicle it was in has involved in an accident and sustained body damage. Please check out Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes to see if you can use your car seat after an accident.
I personally wouldn't buy a used car seat, just for peace of mind. We make the consignors sign a form saying that it is less than 6 years old, never been in an accident, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting